Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Tesla Models will get Range/Power increase (not just SR+) of 5%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get 213 now on a full charge, 2019 SR+ but it seems worthless to pay attention to the miles calculation anyway. It will say 213 miles at full charge (down from 224 miles since last update) but at 50% charge it will say I have over 125 miles of range left, so go figure.

Out of curiosity, what happens when you change your wheel configuration? I have not heard reports that 2019 are affected the same way as the 2020, but that is a pretty big drop for a software update (or did you mean your last update of your range to this forum?), so I wonder...

My SR+ with 16k miles has always said 238ish at full charge since I got it back in March. I have only charged it full a handful of times, used superchargers probably about 15 times and have only gone below 20% twice. I always charge to 80% and it gets to about 40% daily. Funny enough, yesterday when we got home from our trip I had 13 miles left, I plugged it in and after a little while I checked via the app to see what full charge would be and it said 243 miles. Now its back down to its 238 at full charge but it was interesting to see.

checked via the app to see what full charge would be and it said 243 miles

The app appears to suffer from the same extrapolation errors at low SoC as any other method does - it does not appear to have “insider knowledge.”
For example, at 30% SoC, with 73miles, it will project 243 miles. But that could be 73/0.295 = 247 miles or 73/0.305 =239 miles.

So only trust that number at a high SoC, because the precision error is reduced there by a factor of 3 or so vs the above example.

Out of curiosity, what happens when you change your wheel configuration? I have not heard reports that 2019 are affected the same way as the 2020, but that is a pretty big drop for a software update (or did you mean your last update of your range to this forum?), so I wonder...

I will need to test it out. Before the update, I was getting 225 at full charge, post update 213 and now today it says 211 max. So, either the calculation is screwed up or the battery is degrading.

223 miles on mine today (vs 240 originally rated).
Tesla now lists the SR+ as 250 mile range which only widens the gap on what new owners will see on the screen. I think this will become a bigger problem as these numbers get further apart. What is the real number??

223 miles on mine today (vs 240 originally rated).
Tesla now lists the SR+ as 250 mile range which only widens the gap on what new owners will see on the screen. I think this will become a bigger problem as these numbers get further apart. What is the real number??

I guess you should check your constant again to make sure they haven't changed it on you. Pretty sure it has already been done and is still 219Wh/rmi for the 2019 SR+, but who knows.

My SR+ had the 18" aeros still set. Are we supposed to be looking on the rated line on the energy screen? Maybe I am missing something or it is just hard to read the screen.

Nope, just take that picture as described elsewhere (proj range, recent efficiency, rated miles remaining, all with three digits). Sounds like it will be no joy for you though. I doubt anything has changed.

Nope, just take that picture as described elsewhere (proj range, recent efficiency, rated miles remaining, all with three digits). Sounds like it will be no joy for you though. I doubt anything has changed.

Thanks. I am not going to concern myself with it. If the battery drops degrades more than 30% I guess Tesla will have to replace it under warranty at that point. ;) I had a friend that required his battery to be replaced in his 10 month old LR AWD. All of a sudden his max charge was 260 miles. A couple days later he got a message in the car stating a battery error. Tesla checked it remotely and said the battery has a bad cell or something. He supercharges a lot, I wonder if Supercharging really does stress these batteries.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Nope not 1.57C
1C means 1 times the capacity of the cell or battery pack. So for a 5,000 mAh cell that would be 5A initial charge rate.
The reason it takes more than one hour to charge from 0% to 100% at 1C is that all batteries have an internal resistance. When you apply the charge current the battery voltage will immediately increase depending on the magnitude of the current. Then as the battery accepts charge, the voltage will rise further. This is the constant current phase of the charge.
Eventually the cell voltage reaches 4.2V and the charge current must drop some to prevent the battery voltage from exceeding 4.2V preventing internal failure of the cells followed by smoke and flames. People have come to refer this constant voltage charging phase as 'taper' as the charge current and power decrease until the battery reaches full charge.
Charging also produces heat in the battery cells. If the cells cannot be cooled sufficiently they will also fail. The Battery Management System (BMS) oversees all of this so you don't have to.

This may have been answered, so forgive me for not knowing —

Are all SR+ now rated at 250 miles, or just new production?

I am looking at buying a 2019 M3 with 5600 miles or so. Owner took order in June 2019 and it has HW3, AP, FSD.

I asked what his is rated at and he listed 240 miles, but if the software update increased range by 10, wouldn’t his be increased also?

I am looking at buying a 2019 M3 with 5600 miles or so. Owner took order in June 2019 and it has HW3, AP, FSD.

I asked what his is rated at and he listed 240 miles, but if the software update increased range by 10, wouldn’t his be increased also?

So far, my understanding is that 2019 SR+ have not changed. There isn't really a super easy way to tell - you could look at the position of the rated line on the Energy Consumption graph. It should be around 225Wh/mi for the SR+ 2019, and perhaps around 219Wh/mi for the SR+ 2020. But to figure out where the line is at, unless you get lucky, you'd have to do a drive and get the lines to overlap. You can also look at the results (with charge handle still connected, swap between distance and energy display, and then make note of miles & kWh added) for a sufficiently long (needs to be over 100 rated miles added) charging session.

This may have been answered, so forgive me for not knowing —

Technically but the battery may have already degraded or be unbalanced by that many miles rated.

• Disagree
So far, my understanding is that 2019 SR+ have not changed. There isn't really a super easy way to tell - you could look at the position of the rated line on the Energy Consumption graph. It should be around 225Wh/mi for the SR+ 2019, and perhaps around 219Wh/mi for the SR+ 2020. But to figure out where the line is at, unless you get lucky, you'd have to do a drive and get the lines to overlap. You can also look at the results (with charge handle still connected, swap between distance and energy display, and then make note of miles & kWh added) for a sufficiently long (needs to be over 100 rated miles added) charging session.

Just happened to spot my lines overlapping on a drive this morning for my March 2019 SR+ on 2019.40.50.7. Snapped a pic at 226 Wh/mi but it was also overlapping at 225 Wh/mi.

IMG_20200119_081935072.jpg

• Helpful
My car is reporting 203 Wh/mile over 9k+ miles and that includes three round trips from DC to Boston totalling roughly 4k of those miles. On the Boston roundtrip I use more energy as I’m driving speed of traffic and carrying extra luggage weight (219 Wh/mi on my September trip up). I do drive spiritedly normally from time to time and as such I actually drive my fun weekend supercharged v8 far less.
I can (currently) easily exceed rated Wh/mi and often run 185-190 on my mixed highway and trafficky commute round trip 50 miles. I’ll be interested to see how the cold will begin to impact my energy usage.

I am annoyed that the car started with 216 estimated miles at 90% and now it’s 203 but that’s 5.5% and seems mostly in line with others have seen. And of course people say don’t use that as a metric and use % and I obviously exceed the rates Wh/mi so I’ll have more range than that.
Woo good for you I'm averaging about without checking 370 thanks to my rou d trip being 24miles