Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Tesla Models will get Range/Power increase (not just SR+) of 5%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This reminds me...didn't they increase the range on the LR RWD about a year ago from 310 to something like 325? Or did I imagine that. I didn't get that increase on my car, should I contact the service center?

Thanks
A lot of people don't understand what this update did - it only lowered the typical line in your Energy graph. What happened to your car is, that by the time you got the update, your car already had some degradation so in effect you never "saw" an increase since you never saw 325miles, but your rated miles are still more, than they were before the update.

But at the end of the day none of this matters as this is just marketing - you never had more capacity (kWh) so If you drive your car with the same exact consumption before and after the update, the range is exactly the same.

Not sure why people keep struggling with what typical range is and Tesla's marketing strategies - it isn't that complex...
All you have to remember is that you have a gas tank(representation in kWh) that your car was shipped with and no software update can magically bore a hold in it and open another compartment and give you 5 gallons more.
Even though it is not 1:1 allegory and of course Tesla can tweak the capacity of your battery through Voltage throttling, the only way this will happen is down like on S85 , but never up. So no, Tesla can't magically give you more range, but your right foot can(and the hand that turns the HVAC on and off)
The battery charges to the maximum available 4.2V, there is no "up" from here.

• Disagree
Reactions: Bears249
So nobody still knows if this is just software update? Has anyone seen an improvement to 250 miles? Mine still is 240

Noone knows for sure since noone has the car yet (or at least noone that has posted here). Having said that, Tesla lists a few SR+ inventory vehicles and none of them have been increased. I would think that they would increase those if the change were purely software.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
From today's Tesla Update Letter Q3 2019:

Powertrain

In addition to launching longer-range versions of the Model S and Model X in April, we have been able to increase the EPA range of the Model 3 Standard Range Plus from 240 miles to 250 miles. We accomplished these improvements by more efficient energy use rather than a costly increase to the battery size.

From today's Tesla Update Letter Q3 2019:

Powertrain

In addition to launching longer-range versions of the Model S and Model X in April, we have been able to increase the EPA range of the Model 3 Standard Range Plus from 240 miles to 250 miles. We accomplished these improvements by more efficient energy use rather than a costly increase to the battery size.

Where does it say software? Better wheel bearings could do that, for example.