Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Tesla Models will get Range/Power increase (not just SR+) of 5%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have never seen that here. The conditions were optimal in my video, only got 145kW, maybe the Suc wasn't. But 145-149kW doesn't really matter. I was just making the point that you need an external HPC of 175kW to be able to utilize the speed and not sure you guys have any in the US. Plus, most people only charge on Supercharger so they will not see the full benefit of 170kW.

I have never seen that here. The conditions were optimal in my video, only got 145kW, maybe the Suc wasn't. But 145-149kW doesn't really matter. I was just making the point that you need an external HPC of 175kW to be able to utilize the speed and not sure you guys have any in the US. Plus, most people only charge on Supercharger so they will not see the full benefit of 170kW.

V3 superchargers will be able to handle that. The build out on them is extremely slow right now, but that could change at any moment. Maybe tomorrow Musk says all new superchargers going forward are V3 versions... who know, but at least we know the peak rate of the car now...

Plus, most people only charge on Supercharger so they will not see the full benefit of 170kW.

There are V3 Superchargers here. But honestly, for the SR+, assuming no sharing issues with a V2, V3 will make very little difference. This is because the peak charging rate of 250kW (170kW for the SR) is not sustained for very long at all (only occurs between something like 5% to 30% SoC - you can look at detailed curves elsewhere here for the exact details).

150kW on an SR equivalent to about 220kW on an LR.

An LR sustains above 220kW between 4% and about 34% SoC.

So instead, during this brief period, the SR will be limited to 150kW from a V2 Charger, rather than the full 170kW. So...not going to make much difference at all going to a V3 charger instead.

To put some rough numbers to it:
30% of the SR+ battery is about 16kWh.
So at ~170kW average (will be slightly lower due to taper) that would take 5:40.

While that same 16kWh at 150kW would take 6:24.

So at most about 44 seconds shorter on a V3 supercharger vs. a V2 (with no sharing), for the SR+, it seems to me.

Point is that for the SR+, the peak rates going above 150kW are much less important than the likely improved taper!

hi everyone

Can anyone confirm if the 2019 SR+ or 2020 SR+ actually have the 5% increase in range? It doesn't seem like I do..

There is a thread here you can read. Some people at least have close to 250 rated miles on their 2020 SR+. 2019 will stay as is, at least so far that appears to be the case. Remember it is just a constant change (possibly combined with a tiny increase in available energy...), though presumably that is due to some underlying change in efficiency. But increased range display will just mean that using HVAC will be even more punitive because there is less energy per rated mile!

Range increase (split from Master Thread: 2019.40.2)

Last edited:
Mine has been much the same since ages ago....
BF38EAF2-BC0D-473A-925C-220725631417.png

Reactions: CharleyBC
It’s a power increase not an increase in range(faster not further).

The 2020 SR+ (for some people at least...) show 248-250 rated miles at a full charge. This appears to be accomplished via a change in constant (previous year 2019 was 247 voluntarily derated to 240 - so Tesla could legitimately go to 247 by simply changing the constant with no efficiency changes), and possibly by increasing accessible available energy by about 0.7kWh (or maybe by some efficiency increase - but that doesn’t make sense based on the new 213Wh/rmi constant. (219Wh/rmi*240rmi = 52.6kWh, while 213Wh/rmi*250rmi = 53.3kWh)). Time will tell, when the full EPA test documentation is available.