Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Tesla Vehicles now being produced have full self driving hardware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not just the 3. Any S or X ordered now will have it too.

So now I'm torn. I really, really like my S but I love the idea of full self-driving. I've got to have it. So I need to trade in my S on something. I've got a reservation for a 3 but that's for Marge. Do I trade in my S on another S or do I take the plunge on an X?

So now I'm torn. I really, really like my S but I love the idea of full self-driving. I've got to have it. So I need to trade in my S on something. I've got a reservation for a 3 but that's for Marge. Do I trade in my S on another S or do I take the plunge on an X?

For hardware that's not enabled by software yet, and likely won't be for a long time?

Why not just buy a few cameras from ebay and let them gather dust in your garage? It will accomplish the exact same thing.

(Flippant way of saying: You have a long time before the software enables the hardware to make a decision on what to finally upgrade to.)

27% in six months...that's a fair whack....I've also got a Evoque that's only lost 12% in 18months (and it was a $100k+ version)....

Was hoping the S's would hold their value you a little better than 30% in less than a year, I know it's typical however hoped for better than most like some manufacture are achieving...

-ECIT

For hardware that's not enabled by software yet, and likely won't be for a long time?

Why not just buy a few cameras from ebay and let them gather dust in your garage? It will accomplish the exact same thing.

(Flippant way of saying: You have a long time before the software enables the hardware to make a decision on what to finally upgrade to.)

If I order an X now, I've been told delivery won't be until mid next year at the earliest. Given today's announcement, I would expect the software would be very close if not shipping by then.

27% in six months...that's a fair whack....I've also got a Evoque that's only lost 12% in 18months (and it was a $100k+ version)....

Was hoping the S's would hold their value you a little better than 30% in less than a year, I know it's typical however hoped for better than most like some manufacture are achieving...

-ECIT

I'm sure you could do better than Tesla's trade-in price by selling privately but I don't have the time or inclination to do that.

My Ferrari, sold a few months ago, lost 30% of its value after 4 years and it was superseded twice since I bought it. So, I agree, almost 30% in 6 months seems high. Manufacturers are usually quite generous with trade-ups too as they want to get you into a new model and keep you in the family. But I believe Tesla has a supply problem, not a demand one... ;-)

Reactions: Vegas

We need more X's down here (I've never seen one!)

Go for it :)

Nothing has been said (unless I missed it) if this can be retrospectively added to recent cars. I would hope that it would be possible to add this to recent 2016 Model S cars. Maybe not immediately as in right now, but at some point in the future before the software release that takes advantage of this stuff.

You must be new here...

I would be happy for my existing AP functionality to exist on the new car by then. We don't even have regulations allowing self-driving cars in this country yet so it's difficult to know when they will be able to roll out all the new features. But I want to support the initiative even if I have to wait for the politicians to catch up to the technology.

Reactions: deonb
Nothing has been said (unless I missed it) if this can be retrospectively added to recent cars. I would hope that it would be possible to add this to recent 2016 Model S cars. Maybe not immediately as in right now, but at some point in the future before the software release that takes advantage of this stuff.

Not going to happen. Cameras are integrated into the bodywork.

Man, I sure doubt it!
We had this dialog around the first, less elaborate set of hardware, and it simply is not practical. More important, it is prohibitively costly to do that sort of retrofit.
So, I would not bet on it....

Keep the "Classic S" -- sell later -- "driven by a country gent on Sundays, blah blah blah." .Order a Model 3 to check out the self-driving caper. Even keep the "S" and update once the new self-driving capability is fully rounded out. One thing is for sure, ordering a Model 3 will leave plenty of time for the refinement of the software !

Reactions: COrental
I'm looking forward to this for my 3! Ok, so how much will it cost... let's check the Model S order page:

- Full Self-driving capability - $4500 - requires Enhanced Autopilot
- Enhanced Autopilot - $7500

Wow $12000 ... *gulp*

On the other hand.. it could be working as a taxi 20 hours a day...

By the time M3 hits Aus, it will probably be cheaper in devalued dollars than it is now. Increasing competition from others in the next few years will keep some lid on prices too I expect. If Tesla takes the lion's share of the self-driving market you can bet GM, Ford and Toyota will want it back :D

As well as the blog post and configurator there is more info from tesla here
Autopilot

Audio from today's call
Model 3 Reveal Part 2 OFFICIAL THREAD

I think it maybe possible to retroactively add but no point till it is fully working and legal and would be very expensive 20K+ so probably not worth it by then to add to a car that is several years old.

Homer, maybe just reserve an X then by the time you need to confirm next year you will have had a while to think about it and possibly know how AU will regulate it. I think AU will wait till after it is available elsware first but would be glad if I am wrong on this one. I suspect that once the system is proven to be safer than drivers there will be a lot of pressure to allow it, risk is that the safety augmentation will negate this though ie the car should not let you crash if it can prevent it...

-ECIT

The depreciation on a P90DL is always going to be high especially in the first 12 months as it has already been superceeded by 100 and AP2 and I guess lots of buyers want the latest only. I think the depreciation in the next few years will be more normal and a lower spec car will deprecate much slower.

I wonder when/if the S and X will get a redesign next year to the gigafactory cells, this could increase the battery capacity significantly???

I think it maybe possible to retroactively add but no point till it is fully working and legal and would be very expensive 20K+ so probably not worth it by then to add to a car that is several years old.
Elon Musk ‏@elonmusk 49m49 minutes ago
Should mention that retrofitting to full self-driving hardware is very difficult. Cost delta is more than buying a new car. Wish it weren't.

0 replies267 retweets951 likes