Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Tesla Vehicles now being produced have full self driving hardware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Homer,

I would be waiting, I can understand wanting to have the tech built in as I just delayed my order, again, after Tesla delaying it three times to make sure it ships with this tech. It is going to be several years before governments agree to allow cars here to be fully autonomous. They are going to make more changes to the S before the full capability of AP2 can be utilised, wait a bit, get a P100DL in a year or so once the features are all enabled for the current range of AP capabilities at least. If you read the announcement it actually states that the software will be downgraded on new cars until they're able to do several million miles of validation on the new sensor suite which could end up being 50-100 million miles. You might see governments demanding XXX million miles/kms of validation before they allow these features to be enabled. The new vs old experience will actually be worse in the short term and there is no benefit whatsoever to taking a big hit in depreciation for dormant unusable tech.

Novo

Getting back on topic as an Australian thread, I suspect there may be a fare amount of work required to adapt this to Australian specific conditions.

As an example, I notice with current technology the car doesn't seem to recognise time limited school speed zones. Wonder if these are unique to Australia.

If Australia don't approve self driving cars in the next few years, will there be any benefit to us here? The thought of sending the car home to my wife when at work for example is excellent, but useless if they don't change the laws to allow them. They won't even allow an internet browser in the car...!

If Australia don't approve self driving cars in the next few years, will there be any benefit to us here? The thought of sending the car home to my wife when at work for example is excellent, but useless if they don't change the laws to allow them. They won't even allow an internet browser in the car...!

That would be my main use, we love being a one car family but at times it is very inconvenient. I hate wasting the wife's time having to drive me to work if she has an activity she likes to do and equally I feel like she is a bit trapped in the god awful subdivision we live in without a car as you cannot walk out of it, just around it.

Whilst what's shown in their video might not become legal here for some time, additional sensors can certainly improve safety aspects of the vehicle.

It's a risk to trade up to this now as you don't know yet that even if Aus approves use of self driving cars that the tech and redundancy of systems etc in this car will comply.
If you are buying for the first time then you will eventually at the least end up with a car that is a safer and more capable semi autonomous car than the currently equipped cars are. It just may never be legal to be used to its full capabilities here.

I actually love driving my car. This stuff is all pie in the sky. It won't be legal here for the next 10 years at least and maybe not even then. My classic signature rear wheel drive non p S 85 is plenty powerful and fast. The only thing I actually miss is next gen seats because of my bad back. I will put in a refresh after market nose later this year, which will likely take me another 8 years with this car so depreciation is irrelevant. I have a unique exterior colour and unique interior with custom dashboard. It is one of a kind. No envy here nor any yearning for the latest and dubiously query, greatest.

Note:- this is a reality check!!

Reactions: pjoseph
27% in six months...that's a fair whack....I've also got a Evoque that's only lost 12% in 18months (and it was a $100k+ version)....

Was hoping the S's would hold their value you a little better than 30% in less than a year, I know it's typical however hoped for better than most like some manufacture are achieving...

-ECIT
~10% (or more) of that is because of the tax credit(s)

What intrigued me in the video was the "decision" the car made to turn left after circling through the charging area at Tesla HQ, to find a parking space elsewhere. How did it "know" to make that turn to find more parking? That decision process is that particular parking lot, with at least 3 different types of parking in 3 different areas (charging area, curb parking along the roadway, and a lot with diagonal parking) seems pretty challenging to program. Presumably we are expected to believe that the car was given a command to "park" without telling the car exactly where, but to find a space someplace nearby and park there.

Personally, I think I'd be more interested in using that sort of feature than the fully autonomous driving. Could be I'll change my mind as the idea grows on me, though...

Nothing has been said (unless I missed it) if this can be retrospectively added to recent cars. I would hope that it would be possible to add this to recent 2016 Model S cars. Maybe not immediately as in right now, but at some point in the future before the software release that takes advantage of this stuff.
In the Q&A it was explicitly said that it wasn't economically feasible to retrofit to existing cars.

Getting back on topic as an Australian thread, I suspect there may be a fare amount of work required to adapt this to Australian specific conditions.

As an example, I notice with current technology the car doesn't seem to recognise time limited school speed zones. Wonder if these are unique to Australia.
Not unique to Australia. Here in San Diego there are zones where the speed limit is different "When children are present", which is going to be even harder to figure out.

Tesla are the kings of the "Oooohhh, shiny" marketing ploy.

What this announcement ACTUALLY gives us now:

NOTHING.

What this announcement ACTUALLY *takes away* now:

Autopilot. Now completely inoperative. 100% hands on wheel.
Automatic emergency braking. Non functional.
Self parking. Non functional
Summon. Non functional

Tesla-time promise for return of the above: December 2016.
Point of reference: Autopilot 1.0 was advertised as "here" for over a year before actually being rolled out.

Whilst even I am excited by the *possibilities* pointed to by the new hardware, for now I am more than happy to stick with my v7.1 Autopilot 1.0 Model S which actually works.

But, hmmm....8 cameras, 40x the computing power. Sooo shiny...wonder how much it would be to trade up to a P100DL?

No, they are not. We have them in the US as well and the signage is not at all standardized. I have been wondering about that for a while. Maybe fleet learning??

I'm looking forward to this for my 3! Ok, so how much will it cost... let's check the Model S order page:

- Full Self-driving capability - $4500 - requires Enhanced Autopilot
- Enhanced Autopilot - $7500

Wow $12000 ... *gulp*

On the other hand.. it could be working as a taxi 20 hours a day...
Interesting comment on the Tesla Site re ride sharing and selling rides as appears Tesla has plans to set up a service "Tesla Network"?:

Please note that Self-Driving functionality is dependent upon extensive software validation and regulatory approval, which may vary widely by jurisdiction. It is not possible to know exactly when each element of the functionality described above will be available, as this is highly dependent on local regulatory approval. Please note also that using a self-driving Tesla for car sharing and ride hailing for friends and family is fine, but doing so for revenue purposes will only be permissible on the Tesla Network, details of which will be released next year.