Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Tesla Vehicles now being produced have full self driving hardware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you imagine the fun stories we will be hearing as AP2 launches.

Like, I told my car to go park itself, and it parked itself in a bad neighborhood.... and now it isn't responding to summons!
Or it parked a mile away and it's raining/snowing/sleeting and not responding.

There's going to be a lot of interesting situations initially until things get ironed out and stabilized.

Just hope it doesn't cause anyone harm or anything damage under AP. Will this be on the owner to cover any damages?

Cars without AP have been sitting unsold on Carsales for a loooong time.....advertised price and sold price are often very different.

I've had my car near a year so that is fair enough (I guess - explained below), but boy would I be cranky if I took delivery really recently.

Look at it like this, you go to sell your car in 4 years time and a number of second hand Model S's are on Carsales, yours with AP1.0 and another with AP2.0, sure some will take the car with AP1.0 but they will expect a heavy discount....especially considering the cars with AP2.0 are costing about the same as what people paid for cars with only AP1.0...hmmm.

Explanation of "I guess"
  1. Our cars with AP1.0 got advertised as being able to open the gates/garage door, they still do not
  2. Summon was meant to be able to reverse from the street (perpendicular to the driveway if one so wished, as shown with a nice graphic on the website when I purchased) and then reverse park itself, still does not come close to this (this is still not possible anywhere in the world, so we can't blame it on Australian regulation). From my perspective, I would say Summon in Australia is virtually useless
Will current owners, that got promised the above with AP1.0, get a discount on a newly configured car (be it a 3,X or a new S) in the years to come as compensation for the larger depreciation because AP1.0 never actually did what was promised it would when purchased? I highly doubt it....

-ECIT

Reactions: Rawbznz
I have a Model X on order due for delivery in "late December". Trying to figure out if it would already have gone into production given shipping duration and given as I understand it they do sporadic runs of right hand drive cars... I seem to have a VIN but have no other info on My Tesla. Have asked the DS to check.

What is the typical interval between entering production in Fremont and delivery in Syd?

Doesn't the status page show "In production" or "In the production queue" or something like that when your car is in production? I understand delivery times to Australia vary quite a lot with the shipping schedule and other factors. In my case, my car was only on a ship for three weeks. So my guess would be that your car is not yet in production, which would mean you're getting new hardware!

Hmm, until all cars park themselves you'll still be risking door dings....Not sure I could trust the car to look for that perfect car park ;)

-ECIT
Cars without AP have been sitting unsold on Carsales for a loooong time.....advertised price and sold price are often very different.

I've had my car near a year so that is fair enough (I guess - explained below), but boy would I be cranky if I took delivery really recently.

Look at it like this, you go to sell your car in 4 years time and a number of second hand Model S's are on Carsales, yours with AP1.0 and another with AP2.0, sure some will take the car with AP1.0 but they will expect a heavy discount....especially considering the cars with AP2.0 are costing about the same as what people paid for cars with only AP1.0...hmmm.

Explanation of "I guess"
  1. Our cars with AP1.0 got advertised as being able to open the gates/garage door, they still do not
  2. Summon was meant to be able to reverse from the street (perpendicular to the driveway if one so wished, as shown with a nice graphic on the website when I purchased) and then reverse park itself, still does not come close to this (this is still not possible anywhere in the world, so we can't blame it on Australian regulation). From my perspective, I would say Summon in Australia is virtually useless
Will current owners, that got promised the above with AP1.0, get a discount on a newly configured car (be it a 3,X or a new S) in the years to come as compensation for the larger depreciation because AP1.0 never actually did what was promised it would when purchased? I highly doubt it....

-ECIT

A 2014/15/16 Tesla Model S on car sales still has better AP than any 2014/15/16 Mercedes/BMW/Toyota/Holden/Porsche on carsales, there is no other brand of 2014-2016 electric car on carsales that has the driving range, performance, safety and interior space that a Model S has.
Autopilot 1.0 or 2.0, it's still the best car in the world, daylight second.

So my facelift Model S with autopilot will be quite a rare car; production started in June for facelift cars, 4 months later cars fitted with autopilot 2. So a collector's item?! Just kidding. Ah well, after trade in and a referral I got it for $100k. To get the same car today with autopilot 2 and self driving options fitted I am looking at $130k.

Thanks everyone. Have asked the DS to confirm. I should have mentioned that they say they are sending me my wall charger next week. So, must be getting close. But, if my car was manufactured a week before the AP hardware upgrade I ain't gonna be too happy...

Thanks everyone. Have asked the DS to confirm. I should have mentioned that they say they are sending me my wall charger next week. So, must be getting close. But, if my car was manufactured a week before the AP hardware upgrade I ain't gonna be too happy...

They'll be able to tell you exactly which hardware goes into your build, and should be able to indicate production slot dates.

Just saw this post in the Model X forum: AP 2.0 on submitted orders

Apparently if you ordered before your car before the hardware changeover but your car had not entered production prior to the changeover, you should receive an email from Tesla offering you the chance to upgrade to Enhanced or Full Self-Driving. I have not received any such email... Uh oh.

"Hello,

We recently announced that all Tesla vehicles produced in our factory, including your car, have the new hardware needed for Enhanced Autopilot and ultimately Full Self-Driving capability, at a safety level substantially greater than that of a human driver. With this new hardware come two options not previously available: Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self-Driving. These options are available for upgrade now and take the Tesla driving experience to a new level. Now is the perfect opportunity to upgrade your configuration so you can enjoy Enhanced Autopilot features such as automatic lane change, on-ramp to off-ramp navigation, advanced Autosteer and Summon as they roll out.

Simply click the upgrade button below to review and make these enhancements to your current configuration prior to taking delivery, and take advantage of our pre-delivery pricing.

If you choose not to upgrade, your car will delivered with the options you configured, without Enhanced Autopilot features. Post-delivery upgrades will be subject to a $1,000 surcharge.

Thank you for your support and we’re excited for your upcoming delivery"

A 2014/15/16 Tesla Model S on car sales still has better AP than any 2014/15/16 Mercedes/BMW/Toyota/Holden/Porsche on carsales, there is no other brand of 2014-2016 electric car on carsales that has the driving range, performance, safety and interior space that a Model S has.
Autopilot 1.0 or 2.0, it's still the best car in the world, daylight second.

I wasn't comparing to other manufactures, comparing a 1 month old Model S with only AP 1.0 to say one ordered today that has AP 2.0.... In 4 years AP 2.0 (say when both owners are selling) I'm almost certain the car with AP 2.0 will be considerably more desirable.

-ECIT