Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All the "gates"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think most of us are aware of batterygate, and chargegate, and the changes to Regen this season.

My opinion or theory on this is Tesla was being too aggressive with battery performance for years and are making changes to reign this back in.

Using that as a starting point there are a few lines of discussion I want to go down.

Was this a surprise and they began to see data so surprising the felt a need to go back and change fleet parameters even on 7yo cars?

Will the note about enhanced HV batter diagnostics in the latest update help them narrow down actual affected vehicles and allow the rest of us get capabilities the cars HAD back.

WHEN Tesla lose the class action lawsuits will we get capabilities back and/or will the pack warranty be extended?

I say that because if they were allowing abusive use of the pack and need decided they need to cap voltage, slow supercharging, raise Regen temps on the existing fleet. Then they see a big problem. Recall to repair or replace years worth of S/X packs is not particularly feasible. I think some combination of the enhanced diagnostics being used to identify actual issues and the warranty being extended on the pack to make up for lost capabilities.

Now if we agree that it seems Tesla is admitting to abusive pack parameters in the past with this narrowing I think we need to ask if this was surprise data or if it was a willfull marketing decision and calculated risk for the past 7 years.

Before the accusations start, I am not a short seller, I don't own any individual stocks Tesla or otherwise. Just the owner of a P85 for the last few years suddenly watching capabilities stripped away. These changes threaten my ability to enjoy road trips with the family in this car.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: SilverGS and Brando
Paranoia? Really, my car was fine to charge at 120kw for 5 years and suddenly they cut that nearly in half while shorting me 10-15 miles of range.

The Regen changes as well seem substantial.

If they shaved charge rates 10% that is a tweak for health but whacking capability 40% no.

Paranoia? Really, my car was fine to charge at 120kw for 5 years and suddenly they cut that nearly in half while shorting me 10-15 miles of range.

The Regen changes as well seem substantial.

If they shaved charge rates 10% that is a tweak for health but whacking capability 40% no.
You do know performance drops in cold weather? Sometimes known as winter.

side question: who does it better? Nissan Leaf? i3? Did you ever track your fuel tank to < gallon?? amounts?
What about your cost per mile? Compare summer to winter to gasoline costs. How much money are we talking? 20 miles costs you how much??

You koolaid drinkers are reading me wrong.
The cost isn't the issue, frankly the lack of pack preheating would likely save me a buck.
Then again the idea that Tesla is cheap to drive is a lie, end of year yes "fuel" costs are less but repairs and reliability wise my 2014 93k mile S has been much much worse than my wife's 2014 Impala with 105k.

This is my third winter at the same home and I have driven my S in more than 20below fahrenheit weather. I knew what to expect and this winter is much different. The combination of range cut to do Tesla's whims and the drastically cut supercharging rate may well stop me from road tripping with the family.

My most common trip is 180mile leg to Eau Claire where I spent 50minutes both directions and a leisurely meal with the wife and kids. That turns into 1:15 it might well be a deal breaker. Besides last time we did that the car broke down then broke down a second time the following week when I went to retrieve it.

Let us put this in perspective. Pretend an ICE mfg. without warning or admission cut HP, restricted the fuel tank size a modest amount and choked the filler neck to make fueling take 40% longer(guess). Would you defend that?

I love my Tesla, just honest about it not being particularly reliable, and Tesla not being great far as software "updates" that take away things we HAD.

I'm in the same boat. 5 year old S85D. I go on a 350 mile trip, to Montreal 3-4 times a year. In summer it's one SC stop of 45 minutes, winter 2 SC stops of 25 minutes....5 1/2 hours driving and 50 minutes charging = 6 hours 20 minutes.
My first winter trip after throttling, 2 SC stops; 55 minutes, and 1 hour 10 minutes. 7 hours and 35 minutes for the trip. Sorry, but adding over 2 hours to a trip not going to cut it with extra passengers.
I have supercharged 60-70 times over the 5 year period, and charge to 90%.......so I don't abuse the battery. PLUS I had only lost 3% of the original range. In a couple of updates, I lost fast supercharging, and my range reduced by 15 KM ( now at 8% lossfrom original range.

So I'm unhappy too

....and my Tesla is only being used for trips in town now. I took our ICE car on the last trip.....and I hate doing it.

I'm sold on electric. My next car was to be an X or Y, but I may look outside the Tesla family in a year or so - more choices available