Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All the sensors and Falcon doors still hit the wall :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is just funny so wanted to share it with you guys. All that work Tesla did, all the sensors they installed and it's still hit the wall.

NYC garage
garage.jpeg

I would expect it to in that situation... Granted I don't have my X yet but from what I understand with the current sensor setup, nothing was directly blocking the door and the car was parked just right... Perhaps someday Tesla will be able to use the AP cameras to help the FW doors better see their surrounding environment but we aren't remotely there yet...

Anyone else want to chime in here?

Jeff

Reactions: mongo and P85_DA
I would expect it to in that situation... Granted I don't have my X yet but from what I understand with the current sensor setup, nothing was directly blocking the door and the car was parked just right... Perhaps someday Tesla will be able to use the AP cameras to help the FW doors better see their surrounding environment but we aren't remotely there yet...

Anyone else want to chime in here?

Jeff
I'd rather have the sensor be less permissive and don't allow to open the door unless there is at least some few inches clearance before and after the edges of the door than have this happen :(
Especially with young kids opening the doors from the inside.

I love the falcon wings, but they shouldn't be cause of anxiety each time I park. I should not have to worry about edge cases like that and have to check clearance before allowing my kids or passenger to open the door.

I love the falcon wings, but they shouldn't be cause of anxiety each time I park. I should not have to worry about edge cases like that and have to check clearance before allowing my kids or passenger to open the door.

You must have great kids. I have anxiety in any car when my kids open the door. If I park near a bollard or a post there's about a 110% chance that they are going to hit it unless I directly supervise.

Our FWD had smacked my wife's head many time when it closes. Our kid will jump out as soon as the opening is big enough and hit the close button on his way out. This is just timed perfectly as my wife get out of the passenger side and step under the front edge of the FWD.....

You're going to have a tough time in NYC parking garages with the FWDs. I would not open the doors in a parking garage like that without physically standing in front of it ready to stop it. If the kid opened the door, enable child locks.

You must have great kids. I have anxiety in any car when my kids open the door. If I park near a bollard or a post there's about a 110% chance that they are going to hit it unless I directly supervise.

I said kids, but really, it's any passenger.
Take a regular car, a kid or an adult can open the door, keep the handle in his or her hand, and open the door while avoiding going too further away to hit an obstacle.
Now take the X. A kid or an adult will just push a button and assume that this 100+K tech car will handle the rest. If they are not used to the car, they will for sure not know what to look at before opening the door. Then the anxiety for the owner to make sure that where-ever they park, there is no edge case for the FWD.

Reactions: Pkmmte
Mine has hit the side mirror of the car parked next to me.. Got a light panic attack and am watching the door more carefully now.
Before that, we'd open the door whenever and not give it a second though, garage, tight parking, under trees whatever.

Hat has also closed on my back handful of times while washing the car ! Got to remember to remove the key from my pocket next time.

I said kids, but really, it's any passenger.
Take a regular car, a kid or an adult can open the door, keep the handle in his or her hand, and open the door while avoiding going too further away to hit an obstacle.

In theory I agree. But IME kids just fling car doors open with zero regard for safety or damage, so I always enable the child locks on all our cars. FWDs have their own pros and cons, but I always keep a very close eye on them when opening and closing and look out for potential issues when parking. FWDs were my biggest concern when buying the MX, but overall I now prefer them to conventional doors when dealing with the kids.