Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All these tire threads have me...tired

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But seriously, reading these tire threads about winter tires, summer tires, performance tires, staggered tires, hot tires, cold tires, red tires, yellow tires; if you find a better tire, BUY IT!, has made me tired. I am confused and not even close to a performance/look guy. All I want are tires to replace my current factory tires which failed inspection (low tread). I prefer to use all seasons because I don't often get the time to have them swapped out (or to do them myself), and I also lack the space for storing the season appropriate tires. I drive at least 25k miles a year if it matters. To that end, I did a search here and online but I could not find tires that I felt confident in purchasing and having installed on my car.

Can any of you (speaking in plain terms) suggest tires that are a best fit as a replacement for the current factory continentals the vehicles come with? For point of reference, I have the 2018 M3 with the Long Range 'trim'; it is also RWD. I understand that the factory tires come with the foam to lessen/dampen road noise through the tires - is this a significant concern? Also, does anyone in Virginia (NOVA) have a recommended source for the tires? I was looking at getting them through Costco, NTB, Sears, Bridgestone, or, if I must, Virginia Tire and Auto. With the costs I have been quoted so far, I need options aside from just going with what I was quoted.

I have the General Altimax RT 43 on my Subaru. Great tire, imho and rated good for all-seasons. Has a good Treadwear rating too. I’ll probably replace my OEM tires with these when the time comes. Another member posted a thread on these when he installed them on his.

Reactions: MistaEV
Ugh, so I was unable to find any places with the Altimas in stock and decided to go with the Bridgestone Turanza QuietTrack tires that I was quoted on by Virginia Tire & Auto. They said they could get them in today (ordered yesterday from Baltimore) and at 0930 I called to verify they were still coming in. I was told by my sales rep that they were on the way. Fast forward to 1340 and I had no heard anything yet so with my work day winding down (I get off at 1430), I wanted a game plan for getting them installed and such, because I was trying to leave town tonight. Well, apparently the tires got delayed and they won't be in until tomorrow (allegedly). They did not call me because they "just found out" which I think is BS but, I digress. Anyway, any Virginia members know of a place that has tires for the Model 3 Long Range RWD that are quiet and that can possibly be put on today? I am crunched for time and while I would like to replace all four, depending on stock/price, there really is only one I *need* to replace in order to pass inspection. Thanks in advance.

How many miles did you get out of your Continentals (18K)?

This might be the perfect tire for you. Since you have Continental I assume you have the 19" OEM Wheels.

You're right, it can be overwhelming choosing tires. There is no perfect tire, they are all trade-offs.

But by the sound of it, you have more interest in efficiency and longevity than "track" performance.

The Continentals definitely lean towards a "summer performance" tire. They won't last that long or be super on efficiency.

These Pirelli P7+ tires run as efficient as Primacy 18". They should (on paper) last longer the Primacy, and WAY longer than the Continentals and they are ever so slightly quieter than the quietest OEM (Primacy) tire to boot. They might be significantly quieter than the Continentals.

You will give up something, nothing is free. They won't stop as quick or take exit ramps at 70 MPH.

You can typically have these next day from tirerack !! free ship. Check out the reviews here.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...rato+P7+All+Season+Plus&partnum=34VR9CP7ASPXL

I started a post on my switching from 18" Primacy to 19" P7+. I won't know for several years on the longevity part.
But based on reviews I should have no problem. I keep my car (AWD Performance) in Chill mode 99% of the time.

Afraid of loosing Aero efficiency vs Cool looking Wheels?

No, I drive far more than that a year. I got 30k miles out of them. That's also 30k miles with me teleworking at least 26 days a year (mostly likely 50 with other factors thrown in), having holidays off (all Federal), vacation time, etc.

You will give up something, nothing is free. They won't stop as quick or take exit ramps at 70 MPH.

You can typically have these next day from tirerack !! free ship. Check out the reviews here.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...rato+P7+All+Season+Plus&partnum=34VR9CP7ASPXL
Thanks for the link, I will check these out. I do have Bridgestone Turanza QuietTracks ordered for install tomorrow (different shop, slightly lower price and CLOSER TO ME, lol). This is a new tire so I will let you guys know how it performs for noise transference.

Thanks for the link, I will check these out. I do have Bridgestone Turanza QuietTracks ordered for install tomorrow (different shop, slightly lower price and CLOSER TO ME, lol). This is a new tire so I will let you guys know how it performs for noise transference.

That is potentially a very good choice. It looks very similar to the characteristics of the Pirelli P7+ (high Treadwear, Quiet) etc. Not many reviews or history but the hand full of reviews on tirerack look promising.

30K out of Continentals is also pretty impressive. You are definitely not launching at every red light.

I'll be real curious if you see a change in wh/mi, I bet you will.

Okay I got the tires on (Bridgestone Turanza QuietTracks), passed inspection and drove some of my more crappy roads home. These tires are so fecking...QUIET! They are quieter than the OEM tires by a significant enough margin that I will recommend them (based on early road testing). Should these prove to pan out for the long haul, these may be my go-to shoes from now on (until something much better comes along). Here in NOVA, the cost was $1061 (rounded up to the nearest dollar) out the door. If you buy them, they are about $940 or so, maybe a bit more.

But seriously, reading these tire threads about winter tires, summer tires, performance tires, staggered tires, hot tires, cold tires, red tires, yellow tires; if you find a better tire, BUY IT!, has made me tired. I am confused and not even close to a performance/look guy. All I want are tires to replace my current factory tires which failed inspection (low tread). I prefer to use all seasons because I don't often get the time to have them swapped out (or to do them myself), and I also lack the space for storing the season appropriate tires. I drive at least 25k miles a year if it matters. To that end, I did a search here and online but I could not find tires that I felt confident in purchasing and having installed on my car.

Can any of you (speaking in plain terms) suggest tires that are a best fit as a replacement for the current factory continentals the vehicles come with? For point of reference, I have the 2018 M3 with the Long Range 'trim'; it is also RWD. I understand that the factory tires come with the foam to lessen/dampen road noise through the tires - is this a significant concern? Also, does anyone in Virginia (NOVA) have a recommended source for the tires? I was looking at getting them through Costco, NTB, Sears, Bridgestone, or, if I must, Virginia Tire and Auto. With the costs I have been quoted so far, I need options aside from just going with what I was quoted.

How do people not know this? There's nothing like large amounts of subjective comments and random opinions to make good decisions. /sarcasm/

Have you ever thought of looking at Consumer Reports?

They actually secretly BUY their test items, and then apply objective criteria to evaluate those items, to include tires. Even the testers are kept "blind" to the tires they are evaluating, lest they introduce any bias into their evaluations.

What a concept--a non-profit testing organization for thousands of products!

Top Tire Reviews | Best Tire – Consumer Reports

Same here. I need to change all my tires on my 2018 RWD M3 (19'') but I'm not sure if I should just get summer tires and then later on get another set of winter tires or just go along with same OEM tires and call it a quits until they wear off again.

I drive in SoCal and which involves lots of canyon roads (spirited driving lol)

So far, I've been ok with these OEM Continental but if I can get something with better handling and performance I wouldn't mind, but so far, some reviews for Pilot 4S mention that they are a bit noisier than Continental hence why I'm hesitating.

If someone has any preference would be great to help evaluate pros and cons.

Okay I got the tires on (Bridgestone Turanza QuietTracks), passed inspection and drove some of my more crappy roads home. These tires are so fecking...QUIET! They are quieter than the OEM tires by a significant enough margin that I will recommend them (based on early road testing). Should these prove to pan out for the long haul, these may be my go-to shoes from now on (until something much better comes along). Here in NOVA, the cost was $1061 (rounded up to the nearest dollar) out the door. If you buy them, they are about $940 or so, maybe a bit more.

Hey OP, just checking up with you. I've got a Model S and shopping around for an upcoming replacement for my 19" Goodyears and just curious to get feedback now that you've had em on for about a week. Still really quiet? How's your efficiency/range compare?

Hey OP, just checking up with you. I've got a Model S and shopping around for an upcoming replacement for my 19" Goodyears and just curious to get feedback now that you've had em on for about a week. Still really quiet? How's your efficiency/range compare?
As an overall picture, I never really paid attention to the range on my 3 but I think I get comparable range based on my driving habits, similar to the results I got with the original tires. It is important to note though that warm weather range is different than cold weather range (as you probably already know) so my most recent 'eye test' that I can point to data from, is largely from the cold weather. Having said that, a trip from my home to DC with the old tires in warm weather left me with between 215-222 miles of range (starting at 291) and with the new tires, I was getting to DC with between 218-224. It may have been the difference of me speeding down 95 on some days, and taking it easy (mostly due to traffic/cops) the others. I would say that overall, the difference is negligible there.

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned tire roll and I found that I actually pay more attention to that now than I did before. I cannot say with 100% certainty because I never really tested it, but I want to say that after some initial concerns, my roll risk seems to be the same. Which is to say, I can take a sharp curve at 40mp and it is flat, rather than feeling like it wanted to take to two tires or otherwise lose contact with the road. That said, in both sets of tires, if you hook the turn from a dead stop (right turn), you run the risk of a bit of slide. I did that not thinking one day (in both sets of tires) and felt the back end kind of slide from right to left. I also have RWD so that may be a factor (I am no gear head so I could be wrong as well).

As for sound, I still feel these are quieter, but not as quiet as I initially thought. I finally went over one of the roads that seemed to have some odd asphalt/cement mix so they are louder and coarser roads, and the sound was fairly noticeable at high speeds, even with my radio at about 40% of its volume. I cannot say empirically however, whether or not it was comparable, better, or worse than the OEMs. Having said all that, the tires met my minimum requirements of performing well into turns, producing comparable or lower noise than the OEMs, and feeling comfortable going over potholes and other road irregularities. I have not had inclement weather yet with these, with which to test that aspect but I expect them to perform well there too. At least that is my hope.

Hopefully this was helpful to you.

I used to do consulting for the tire business. There is a reason why the majority of people go to the shop and say "just give me whatever I already had." The industry is needlessly complicated, and sort of on purpose. Keep it simple. If they still make the contis, get those. If they don't, get the Michelin Primacy MXM4 which is now the OEM fitment for the Model 3.

Same here. I need to change all my tires on my 2018 RWD M3 (19'') but I'm not sure if I should just get summer tires and then later on get another set of winter tires or just go along with same OEM tires and call it a quits until they wear off again.

I drive in SoCal and which involves lots of canyon roads (spirited driving lol)

So far, I've been ok with these OEM Continental but if I can get something with better handling and performance I wouldn't mind, but so far, some reviews for Pilot 4S mention that they are a bit noisier than Continental hence why I'm hesitating.

If someone has any preference would be great to help evaluate pros and cons.

Check out the Continental Extreme Sport DSW06. I’ve had these on multiple cars and have them on my Model 3 now. They are a high performance all season. I travel from Lancaster to Santa Monica five days a week and frequent the canyons :).

Can you give us an update on quiettrack tires you installed?

Can you give us an update on quiettrack tires you installed?
Sure! Currently I am driving home in holiday traffic on I-95, without any music or other sounds, and I can barely hear the tires moving over the road. It's kind of like a whisper. Also, the roads are wet, and the traction is pretty good. I wouldn't race in them, but they grip the road fairly well. Any bumps I go over are quiet unless of course they are rather sizeable, I know of no tire that can defeat that.

Reactions: SlicedBr3ad