Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All things Austin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does AE even allow power wall? Or do they only allow it if it does not back feed onto the grid (which would not benefit anyway as it's grid power anyway).
I'm not sure if Powerwall is an option, I was just talking with a friend who does solar installs about adding some sort of battery bank to further lower energy costs/go off the grid when he told me all about the joys of AE, how they will charge you for the power that goes into your battery bank, and having to install separate meters for panels, battery bank, and an EV charger at homes. Yes, that means you could end up with four power meters stuck on your house

i don't understand the usefulness of the Powerwall in the USA unless you go off the grid or become a prepper. We have been blessed with a stable grid that has an uptime of >99%.

Where i grew up in India a generation ago is a completely different story. The grid there is unstable even to this day. It is common to lose power several times a day and not be restored until sometimes hours later. This is where the Powerwall would shine.

i don't understand the usefulness of the Powerwall in the USA unless you go off the grid or become a prepper. We have been blessed with a stable grid that has an uptime of >99%.

Where i grew up in India a generation ago is a completely different story. The grid there is unstable even to this day. It is common to lose power several times a day and not be restored until sometimes hours later. This is where the Powerwall would shine.

Those of us in Houston distinctly remember many people being without power for a significant length of time just about one year ago in the aftermath of Harvey. Being self-sufficient with PV+Powerwall would be very attractive in such a scenario.

Reactions: paco878
PSA: After receiving delivery of my Model 3 early August, I noticed some paint issues upon delivery, along with a few other things:

- Paint dimples rear passenger side quarter panel
- Paint drip stains rear passenger door

Upon leaving on delivery date, I was set for a Aug 22nd appoint with the SC to bring it in to get these items above repaired. While driving the vehicle, I noticed a few more issues before arriving on the 22nd:

- Gear stalk cover coming loose and can almost be removed
- Undercarriage plastic cover coming loose on driver's side in a few areas
- Static issues randomly with stereo via Slacker

They didn't really give me an accurate estimate on how long the vehicle would be in for service, closest estimate was 10 business days. Given that it's closing in on a month now, thought I'd give other owners a heads up that you may be without your vehicle for quite some time.

Luckily I received a 100D as a loaner so I don't have too much to complain about, but I do miss my car. If you're going in for service, I would refuse to let them have it unless they provide you a loaner.

• Informative
Reactions: paco878
Luckily I received a 100D as a loaner so I don't have too much to complain about, but I do miss my car. If you're going in for service, I would refuse to let them have it unless they provide you a loaner.

i've had the best experience during the few times i've been to the Pond Springs Service Center. Great, upbeat employees (with one or two rare exceptions) and i too got a brand new 100D loaner when my lowly 75 was in for a couple of days. No sense of any up-sell whatsoever but i was tempted to buy that loaner :)

With the number of cars being sold lately it is going to be an uphill task to keep up this level of customer service.

i've had the best experience during the few times i've been to the Pond Springs Service Center. Great, upbeat employees (with one or two rare exceptions) and i too got a brand new 100D loaner when my lowly 75 was in for a couple of days. No sense of any up-sell whatsoever but i was tempted to buy that loaner :)

With the number of cars being sold lately it is going to be an uphill task to keep up this level of customer service.
Everyone there seem really nice, just overwhelmed. They are being asked to deliver 20x their normal volume and in reality doing 10x.

Everyone there seem really nice, just overwhelmed. They are being asked to deliver 20x their normal volume and in reality doing 10x.

Yah, they've made up for any mishaps I had during the pre-delivery and delivery experience.

FYI I am part of the Tesla Owners Club of Austin, and they've reached out to the president for the volunteering thing for delivery. If you're interested (I may be volunteering, to help out to and do some networking if I have time), reach out to me or find the group on FB.

Geico offered me $300 for DMV (ahahaha). Despite repeatedly asking for loss of use after weeks I just ended up taking a $30/day rental and they then they basically laughed at me that day and said I could have gotten loss of use instead. Almost criminal. Probably criminal.

I've submitted documentation to substantiate DMV and after that I will try to get the difference in loss of use one last time since they never offered a value ($149/day, primarily via Turo) for loss of use in any reasonable about of time.

Once I've completed everything, which may include going to small claims court, I'll detail in a separate thread.

Almost exactly what happened to me. First month, 1,400 miles, rear bumper replaced, minor damage (thankfully), color matched pretty good. Hope you are at Autocraft Bodywerks or another equally reputable shop.

i complained to Texas Department of Transportation (TDI) and that nudged Geico to finally send me a friendly letter. TDI recommended that i sue Geico. There is a 2 yr limitation period which is coming up real quick for me.

• Check Carfax (my accident is on there).
  • Try NOT to get a rental car replacement (this will boost your DVC)
  • Get an appraisal. This seems a rip-off ($800 ~) for what will take me 10 minutes to do. i only have Tesla's trade-in value from back then (low-ball offer of $52k within a month of purchase, compared to a purchase price of $83k).
  • Get good counsel from your lawyer friends and go it alone. This is what i plan to do after contacting Geico one last time.

• Helpful
Reactions: pjoseph
Hey all, two questions.

1) Have any of you heard anything about Raw Vision Auto Detailing? I'm looking at using them for basic paint correction and ceramic coating.

2) How do you join the Tesla Owners Club of Austin?!

Sorry never got back to you on this, the FB group can be found here:
Tesla Owners Club of Central Texas (Austin & San Antonio)

Directions on how to join the Google Group are inside the FB page once you join.

Tire rotation at Costco (south) for $20. This is the only service i have done other than checking fluids and such. Will take it in for scheduled maintenance just before warranty ends.

Maybe someday i will own a house with 2 bedrooms & a 6 car garage. And then i will get to do all my car work in-house :)

PS: Closed User groups are a remnant of the bygone 1990s.[/QUOTE]

Has anyone used the South Austin Costco for tire service on a Model 3? New car and already has continuous low tire pressure.

Okay, who's the pun-ster with this awesome vanity plate?

Attachments

• 20181024_094538.jpg
    20181024_094538.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 143
Has anyone used the South Austin Costco for tire service on a Model 3? New car and already has continuous low tire pressure.

Pull it up to the tire center bays and they will fill up the nitrogen as a complimentary service. i usually keep cold tire pressure at 10% higher than what is on the door jamb, although Costco sometimes insists on the guidelines. Note that slightly higher tire pressure means even more of a stiffer ride & less tread life but higher energy efficiency.

Yes, this cold weather streak has lowered tire pressure. Happens every year. There are some portable air compressors out there that might be worthwhile.

On a related note, i replaced my OEM Continental tires with Costco's recommended tires, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. What used to be the spongy Toyota ride now handles far better. The former were LRR tires (better energy efficiency) but the new tires although not rated LRR are very close in wh/mi.

Last edited:
When I went our local Costco they didn't have the specs yet on M3. Called Tesla service and they provided info immediately. It was a nail in the tire. Costco said they didn't carry the exact tire so I went back to Tesla for replacement. The service at Pond Springs was so great!

Had another great experience at the Service center. My car is about to go out of warranty, so a few components were replaced, some that i request for. Never owned another high-end car and have been told that Lexus usually goes above and beyond expectations. Tesla most certainly did.

And my Loaner S 100D got broken into while parked at the Arboretum area. Thankfully the damage was minor, just the left rear window. Tesla came through yet again and took care of it at a very reasonable cost, much cheaper than going through insurance.

We are in the market for another car and i don't see any alternatives.

Another shout out for the Austin Energy ToU program. Have been on it for 3+ months now. $30 /mo for all-you-can-use charging (restricted during peak hours) on two EVs that we own is just awesome. Likely the most generous program in the world.

The initial posts in this thread has the details. Was on the fence for this for a long time, wish i had signed up sooner.