Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All things Austin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Body shop info for Austin area. - slightly long post.
My Model 3 was damaged in a parking lot "hit and run" where the perp hit my car and didn't hang around.
My insurance did the usual and sent a list of their preferred body shops.
Looked on the Tesla bodyshop list and spoke to the folks at the service center on Pond Spring, they recommended Berli's.
Called Berli's and basically got the run around. Three different people with three different, conflicting stories.
They looked at the damage and was told they would call my insurance co and make handle all the details, so I booked it in for repair.
The day before it was due in I called for a status on the insurance rate difference. They hadn't called my insurance and then told me I would need to pay cover the difference in rates. - errr, no thanks.
Called ServiceKing in Round Rock who looked at the car, took my insurance estimate and booked the car in.
Following day they called me to let me know they had already spoken to my insurance company and worked out the rate difference and confirmed the booking.
Drop off time was painless, they sorted out my rental pickup etc.
Day two after drop off, status phone call and automated text message with progress
Day three, another update call and text status message
Day four, morning call to say they would be done early. Afternoon call with pickup time that same day.
Painless rental drop off at the bodyshop and I'm done.

Overall ServiceKing in Round Rock were awesome. Very impressed with their status updates, call backs and doing what they said they would.

I read the statistics that there are 3381 Tesla's vehicles in the whole Travis county, being the second largest Tesla owning city in Texas (Harris has 3598). But there is only ONE supercharger in Austin so far, far less than Houston or Dallas!
Keep in mind that Harris County has 4x the population as Travis County. So there are a lot of Teslas on a per capita basis in Travis.

I think you are referring to this table here.

535D6AF5-B20F-4021-AFEC-B3988647B411.jpeg

Turns out there is an original Austin thread. Mods, can we merge with that one?

Also, a quick update on the EV360 pilot program which started this thread. There are 100 existing customers on it. New users have to get on a waiting list. Got this tidbit from Austin Energy since we are considering moving shortly.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
Hi, n00b to the forums and the Tesla world. I just picked up a 2018 used Tesla M3. Before I get blasted for not reading the earlier threads, I have, but also wondering how some people's PPF/tint is holding up a year later.

FWIW, I want to get the following work done
  • all passenger windows and rear window tinted
  • PPF front (headlights/bumper/hood/mirrors/rear fenders), spot below the trunk opening
  • Chrome delete

Is there a specific order the PPF and chrome delete should be done in?

Seems like both Austin Detailing and Authentic Detailing are the preferred spots. Is there a discount for coming from the Tesla group?

Thanks in advance and I’m stoked to be a part of the club. Excelsior!

Hi, n00b to the forums and the Tesla world. I just picked up a 2018 used Tesla M3. Before I get blasted for not reading the earlier threads, I have, but also wondering how some people's PPF/tint is holding up a year later.

FWIW, I want to get the following work done
  • all passenger windows and rear window tinted
  • PPF front (headlights/bumper/hood/mirrors/rear fenders), spot below the trunk opening
  • Chrome delete

Is there a specific order the PPF and chrome delete should be done in?

Seems like both Austin Detailing and Authentic Detailing are the preferred spots. Is there a discount for coming from the Tesla group?

Thanks in advance and I’m stoked to be a part of the club. Excelsior!
Most good quality PPF have a 10 year warranty, so no worries there. There isn't a particular order of doing things. You can do them in any order.

Austin Detailing is great and a lot of people will recommend them. ProReflection is great too, but they only do PPF, no tint or vinyl work.

I stopped going to Austin Detailing after a small number of visits, as I got tired of the owner spending a great deal of my time bad-mouthing his competition. I also wasn't too happy about them driving my car back to me without having asked. If they were going to drive a pick-up vehicle to my office anyway they should have picked me up for me to get my car instead.
I had a full body PPF installed at the XPEL location. I have no significant complaints.

Got partial PPF at Sunbusters (2623 Buell Ave) last month. Also got the tint (Llumar Stratos 70) done there as well. Their work is outstanding and i highly recommend them.

Right at that location is also Texas Shine where Nathan does his magic with the Ceramic coating (CQuartz). This really protects the paint and makes it glow. Very happy with the results and again, highly recommended.

PPF and Ceramic is done in that order and it helps that they share space in the same building.

PS: i too cannot recommend Austin Detailing anymore. Brian inexplicably stopped responding to my quote requests. We had our S detailed there a couple of years ago and he actually brought me to the PPF location (above). That's how i knew where they were. Sunbusters storefront is off Research Blvd / Duval Rd.

Last edited:
Got partial PPF at Sunbusters (2623 Buell Ave) last month. Also got the tint (Llumar Stratos 70) done there as well. Their work is outstanding and i highly recommend them.

Right at that location is also Texas Shine where Nathan does his magic with the Ceramic coating (CQuartz). This really protects the paint and makes it glow. Very happy with the results and again, highly recommended.

PPF and Ceramic is done in that order and it helps that they share space in the same building.

PS: i too cannot recommend Austin Detailing anymore. Brian inexplicably stopped responding to my quote requests. We had our S detailed there a couple of years ago and he actually brought me to the PPF location (above). That's how i knew where they were. Sunbusters storefront is off Research Blvd / Duval Rd.
I've had several cars tinted at Sunbuster and can definitely recommend them. Very good quality work.

Reactions: Not That M3
I stopped going to Austin Detailing after a small number of visits, as I got tired of the owner spending a great deal of my time bad-mouthing his competition. I also wasn't too happy about them driving my car back to me without having asked. If they were going to drive a pick-up vehicle to my office anyway they should have picked me up for me to get my car instead.
I had a full body PPF installed at the XPEL location. I have no significant complaints.
I never got a good vibe from the Austin Detailing guys. Thought it was just me by the way so many people praise them in town.

Thank you very much!!
You are welcome. I also recommend you sign up for their rewards account, so you can reserve a spot. It's doesn't happen often, but if you are traveling during peak times and don't have a reservation and their lot is near full, they will turn you away. Plus you earn points that can be redeemed later for free parking days :)

Reactions: Xd85 and LonestarV
Will be flying out of Austin in a few weeks - anyone know of a good parking place that has charging available?
The Parking Spot East has L2 chargers, right at the front gate. Not sure about Parking Spot West. Parking Spot East is the cheapest lot in the area.

Personally, I think that L2 is overkill. A simple 115V/15A plug would do the job if you will be away for a couple of days or more.

Reactions: Xd85 and LonestarV