Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All used 75D uncorked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UPDATE: Today I just had the technician over. He stated that the car is up to date and my car is not uncorkable. My vin did not check in for the eligibility. The production date of my car is 8/16.

So, I know I injected a bit about my own situation in this thread, and I think my situation has met a favorable resolution. But, because it's a bit of a saga, I'm going to start a whole other thread elsewhere this weekend. Meanwhile, my question back to Cookie-Monster is: was your car advertised as doing 4.2 0-60? Or, 5.2 0-60?

So, I know I injected a bit about my own situation in this thread, and I think my situation has met a favorable resolution. But, because it's a bit of a saga, I'm going to start a whole other thread elsewhere this weekend. Meanwhile, my question back to Cookie-Monster is: was your car advertised as doing 4.2 0-60? Or, 5.2 0-60?

Unfortunately I purchased my car through a 3rd party dealer. So I have no way of telling, but seeing cars that were built before mine have had it uncorked kinda blows my mind.

I found the service reports I was mentioning. They're for the same car, same request by me:

Plano Service Center:
View attachment 556184

Dallas Cedars Service Center:
View attachment 556183

I wish there was a way to show this to the manager from Plano, who knows, maybe they could take a look at their techs and their "expertise".
What was your delivery month? Was the last 4 of your in 188 or less? Thanks, I am in Houston and just got a March delivery and does not feel uncorked. The phone app is showing 5 seconds plus.

What was your delivery month? Was the last 4 of your in 188 or less? Thanks, I am in Houston and just got a March delivery and does not feel uncorked. The phone app is showing 5 seconds plus.

I'm not sure what you mean by delivery month. The build date on the door sticker is July 2016.

If it shows around 5 seconds it's not uncorked for sure. It really is easy to tell if it's uncorked, you almost feel the nose lift up a bit and your neck starts to hurt after a few attempts. Neither of this happens if it's over 5 seconds.

My September 2016 75d (formerly 60d)(VIN 153xxx) was recently deemed ineligible for uncorking at this time...it was in the SC for 3 days before they told me the bad news.

If Tesla had an online VIN lookup specifically for confirming “uncorkability” that would save them and us a lot of trouble.

My September 2016 75d (formerly 60d)(VIN 153xxx) was recently deemed ineligible for uncorking at this time...it was in the SC for 3 days before they told me the bad news.

If Tesla had an online VIN lookup specifically for confirming “uncorkability” that would save them and us a lot of trouble.
VINs have historically been assigned before cars come off the line, rather than in order of production, so there is no definitive delineation to uncorkability by VIN. That said, we should have created a thread on the earliest known uncorkable VIN, the latest known not uncorkable, and the range in between.

The more time that goes by, the more "no" answers new owners of old cars are getting when trying to uncork before some finally get a "yes", with one exception. If you recently bought an older car from Tesla and it was advertised with uncorked performance specifications then some of those buyers have had success getting corporate to instruct the SC on how to make it uncorkable. I believe this requires new hardware. Probably the Pyrofuse.

If this is important to you, my advice is to schedule an enjoyable roadtrip to another service center, bring donuts and figure out who the most senior person in the service center to ask for before you arrive, since many won't have even been there to see a car get uncorked. I am pretty sure that cars earlier than September 2016 have been uncorked without additional hardware. You can PM/DM me over the weekend to see if I have time to look through the Performance Metrics to see which is the earliest likely production uncorked and the latest not uncorkable we have there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amstel44
Krash

So I purchased a 2017 75D in January 2021 with 21,800 miles. The warranty is through August this year so that’s when the car was sold, obviously built before that.

The VIN: 5YJSA 1E22HF 193xxx won’t show the last 3 digits but if you need it reply

confusing to say the least, my specs say the rear drive is a small unit so would that prevent me from getting it done?

I was told the car had it done, then told it couldn’t be done. Was told it couldn’t be done because I had the infotainment upgrade already.

the photos show the various spec details, I take a screen shot because they keep changing. One of the early pictures said it was a long range model which it’s not. Wondering if the rear motor labels as small is the problem

Attachments

• 0A9B99A8-8C58-413E-B1C7-339FAC784FF8.jpeg
    0A9B99A8-8C58-413E-B1C7-339FAC784FF8.jpeg
    656.8 KB · Views: 205
  • E3E42383-6EB6-4524-96BE-9E549E1D597F.jpeg
    E3E42383-6EB6-4524-96BE-9E549E1D597F.jpeg
    355.3 KB · Views: 165
  • 7ECFA028-9826-4DD4-BE1D-2B3F9F92032D.jpeg
    7ECFA028-9826-4DD4-BE1D-2B3F9F92032D.jpeg
    578.1 KB · Views: 175
  • D535C4B5-DB28-4356-B434-627BD7B50076.png
    D535C4B5-DB28-4356-B434-627BD7B50076.png
    295.3 KB · Views: 162
  • 1AB932D3-0344-4F0E-8867-65B72CFDDE36.png
    1AB932D3-0344-4F0E-8867-65B72CFDDE36.png
    473.9 KB · Views: 169
Krash

So I purchased a 2017 75D in January 2021 with 21,800 miles. The warranty is through August this year so that’s when the car was sold, obviously built before that.

The VIN: 5YJSA 1E22HF 193xxx won’t show the last 3 digits but if you need it reply

confusing to say the least, my specs say the rear drive is a small unit so would that prevent me from getting it done?

I was told the car had it done, then told it couldn’t be done. Was told it couldn’t be done because I had the infotainment upgrade already.

the photos show the various spec details, I take a screen shot because they keep changing. One of the early pictures said it was a long range model which it’s not. Wondering if the rear motor labels as small is the problem

The Induction small rear drive is normal, my 2018 says the same. Looks like you have FSD, good deal. There is no such thing as long range before 2018. Your HomeLink is old though, wonder why.

...Was told it (uncorking) couldn’t be done because I had the infotainment upgrade already...

You might be the first to have the infotainment upgrade without getting uncorked first. I hadn’t even thought about that.

Which service center did you try? Do you have time to try a few more? It may sound like a waste of time but soooo many people now get told no just because few know how to do it.

Anyone know of an MCU2 uncorking? Seems like such a waste to put MCU1 back in, in order to get uncorked.

As was mentioned, your rear drive unit is small, like all 75Ds. It is different than the June 14th 2017 released DU00 though, which likely had an inverter upgrade. Still, tens of thousands of cars before your were uncorked.

Last edited:
You might be the first to have the infotainment upgrade without getting uncorked first. I hadn’t even thought about that.

Which service center did you try? Do you have time to try a few more? It may sound like a waste of time but soooo many people now get told no just because few know how to do it.

Anyone know of an MCU2 uncorking? Seems like such a waste to put MCU1 back in, in order to get uncorked.

As was mentioned, your rear drive unit is small, like all 75Ds. It is different than the June 14th 2017 released DU00 though, which likely had an inverter upgrade. Still, tens of thousands of cars before your were uncorked.

so the service center in Dedham Ma is fixing the drivers door handle. They said uncorking was done in 2018. I asked for the service history on the car, as I was told the performance upgrade was not done. Will update

...They said uncorking was done in 2018...
Aaaaaaand no. Not even if you exclude Tesla uncorking trade-ins.

Looking forward to your third service center try. Where will you go next? Any bets on how many tries it will take? I think we need a poll. Any bets on the next response?
  1. Um, what is uncorking?
  2. Missing hardware.
  3. No longer available.
  4. Can’t uncork MCU2.

Last edited:
Reactions: HankLloydRight
Any bets on the next response?
  1. Um, what is uncorking?
  2. Missing hardware.
  3. No longer available.
  4. Can’t uncork MCU2.
Just had my third (failed) uncorking attempt. Remote tech said it was missing hardware. I asked if it was the pyrofuse and he said “no”...he described the missing hardware as a “shint” in the battery pack. He said it looked like it was going to “take” at first, but an error message appeared near the end of the firmware update process. He confirmed with Engineering. Has anyone ever heard of the “shint” explanation?