Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All-Weather Floor Mats Compared - [Model 3]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In this review, I tested two styles of floor mats on my Tesla Model 3. The two mats compared are both readily available on Amazon below. If the links are not active, there are likely duplicate options available if you follow the look and style of the mats as your guide.

BASENOR
$63

Tesla Model 3 Floor Mat 3D All-Weather Anti-Slip Waterproof Floor Liners Set

Homeland Hardware
$99

Tesla Model 3 Floor Mats Liners (US Based) Interior Set in Black for Models All-Weather 4D Multi-Layer Custom Laser Cut 4D Max Chain Rolled Carbon Series Non Slip

This review is conducted in a few parts that I think are important to evaluate in a floor mat. In an order of most important to least important, I will rate these mats on cost, fitment, style, and smell. The smell may seem like a weird category for ratings these mats, but with a large number of options available, a funky factory odor can leave you with a bad-smelling car or headaches if you a sensitive to strong odors.

1. Cost

This is an obvious win for the Basenor Mat Set. at $60, the price of the mats is near half that of the Homeland Hardware set. Both sets of mats remain cost-effective relative to other more popular mat offerings.

Those who are more sensitive to cost may consider this to be the defining factor in which mats to get. However, I get the feeling that most people who can afford to own a Tesla won't have too much concern dropping the extra $40 on mats that offer more value.

2. Fitment
Fitment is where the Homeland Hardware mats really stand out. There are two key factors in the fitment of mats: how well do they fit and how well do they stay in place.

The Homeland Hardware mats fit in easy and take very little adjustment to sit perfectly in place. They are held in by two pieces of velcro on the bottom of the mats. Although I wish they had more velcro, the two strips seem to do a fine job at holding the mats in place. These mats stand out in their molding. As you can see from the photos, the Homeland hardware mats have much more shape to them. I believe it is this shape that helps prevent the creasing at the bend.

IMG_7458-300x225.jpeg
IMG_7454-300x225.jpeg

On the other hand, the Basenor or mats suffer from creasing and from a lack of coverage. From the pictures you can see that the Basenor mats do you have a better mounting strategy than the Homeland Hardwar with the entire bottom of the mats covered in a velcro material, however, both mounting strategies seem to hold sufficiently.

IMG_7450-225x300.jpeg
IMG_7455-225x300.jpeg

My real problem with the base mats teams. You can see from a few different pictures how the Basenor mats crease as the floor curve upwards into the firewall.

IMG_7448-225x300.jpeg
IMG_7449-225x300.jpeg
IMG_7447-225x300.jpeg
IMG_7444-225x300.jpeg
IMG_7445-225x300.jpeg

Another Standout of the Homeland Hardware mats are the coverage. The mats themselves are made out of a thicker material than the base mats. They have thicker ridges and higher ridges which helps retain water and dirt. Additionally, specifically notably in the passenger footwell, the Basenor mats stop short of the top of the floor carpet.

IMG_7457-300x225.jpeg
IMG_7446-300x225.jpeg
IMG_7460-225x300.jpeg

Is it $40 of value worth of fitment difference? That is up to you. For me, it was an I ultimately decided on the Homeland Hardware mats.

3. Style
This is up to you. Although I ordered the Basenor mats thinking from pictures that I would dramatically prefer the style and keep them for their cheap cost, the style improvements were not significant enough to overlook the fitment issues.

IMG_7445-225x300.jpeg
IMG_7447-225x300.jpeg
IMG_7438-225x300.jpeg
IMG_7441-225x300.jpeg
IMG_7439-225x300.jpeg

4. Smell
Both sets of mats did not present a strong odor when opening the package and any minor odor present quickly faded in the matter of a weekend. No difference worth noting.

TL;DR Both sets are great options but if $40 isn't a make or break, spend the extra.

I don't post here often, just thought this might provide value to those in the same purchasing decision process.

*Self-Promotion disclaimer* This was originally posted on my barebones website here.

Hope this was helpful to someone! My goal is to be less of a consumer and more of a contributor so this is a step in the right direction.

Wow thanks man. I like the homeland hardware one. I've been looking for one that looks like the 3D SpyderMax ones and didn't cost an arm and a leg. Plus the back mat in the homeland hardware one is better. It has a lip on the middle section. The 3D doesn't

Wow thanks man. I like the homeland hardware one. I've been looking for one that looks like the 3D SpyderMax ones and didn't cost an arm and a leg. Plus the back mat in the homeland hardware one is better. It has a lip on the middle section. The 3D doesn't
Glad it was helpful! I was definitely looking for the budget option to the 3D SpyderMax but didn't want to sacrafice quality. I think the HomelandHardware option achieves that

In the past I have owned WeatherTech on several vehicles and have been happy with their product. They carry Liners or Mats, has anybody looked into these? They make awesome products (in my opinion) and was curious how come they did not come up mentioned

Last December, I got the SUMK 3D mats and have been happy with them. The come in and out easily and are easy to clean. They were $139. I don't think I came across the two mentioned here. I have owned WeatherTech mats for several cars and they are good, but they were $209 for the set and did not seem worth it. Their site tonight makes you choose 2019 for the year as there is no 2020.

Should be noted for consideration, too, that orders for basenor will take longer to fulfill. I ordered mine on the 13th and it's scheduled to arrive on the 29th. New orders look like it will arrive by the 5th.

That being the case, I am concerned about the crease. Is it that easy to uncrease?

I have the farsala mats. They look very similar to the basenors. I really like them. Actually, I think they are probably the best fitting all weather mats I've ever bought for a vehicle - including oem and weathertech mats. No creases, snug fit, gum comes right off them and dead pedal protection. I have a 2020 m3.

I highly recommend them.

https://www.amazon.com/Farasla-Floo...rds=model+3+floor+mats&qid=1598116845&sr=8-15

• Informative
Reactions: P-Lo801
I have the farsala mats. They look very similar to the basenors. I really like them. Actually, I think they are probably the best fitting all weather mats I've ever bought for a vehicle - including oem and weathertech mats. No creases, snug fit, gum comes right off them and dead pedal protection. I have a 2020 m3.

I highly recommend them.

https://www.amazon.com/Farasla-Floo...rds=model+3+floor+mats&qid=1598116845&sr=8-15

I was interested until I saw the embossed "farsala" logo. The logo from the 3d maxpider was off-putting enough combined with their premium price. I like that they priced it in between basenor and homeland, but this one is a pass for me.

Reactions: RogerO3
The crease in the basenor looks like it could be sorted out within 2 seconds. I like the look of the basenor better too.
Wish that was the case. I played with it for 10 minutes trying to find the right position where it doesn't crease but the problem is in the mold. You can see how the Basenor mats have very little shape to them in the y-axis. This makes creasing inevitable

I was interested until I saw the embossed "farsala" logo. The logo from the 3d maxpider was off-putting enough combined with their premium price. I like that they priced it in between basenor and homeland, but this one is a pass for me.

I thought the same thing when I bought them but upon seeing them in person I realized I worried for nothing. The logo is basically invisible unless you are looking for it or it is full of dirt or sand. It is only about 3" long and just disappears into the mats. It isn't chrome like other mats.

• Helpful
Reactions: P-Lo801
In the past I have owned WeatherTech on several vehicles and have been happy with their product. They carry Liners or Mats, has anybody looked into these? They make awesome products (in my opinion) and was curious how come they did not come up mentioned

Just ordered WeatherTech for my M3 which arrive in a few days. In my experience, you just can't beat them for quality and fit. I thought about the Tesla-branded ones but just didn't seem (via pictures I know) as durable as WT. We'll see, but I'll post back upon arrival and fitting.

Just ordered WeatherTech for my M3 which arrive in a few days. In my experience, you just can't beat them for quality and fit. I thought about the Tesla-branded ones but just didn't seem (via pictures I know) as durable as WT. We'll see, but I'll post back upon arrival and fitting.

What are the "Tesla-branded" ones? I'm pretty sure the mats and liners sold on Tesla's website are made by WeatherTech.