TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

All-Weather Floor Mats

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Roadster, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Roadster

Roadster JdeMO Powered

Looks like there was a brief discussion here about the Sector111 Roadster/Elise mats...
    [​IMG]
    ...as well as these Lloyd mats for sale on Amazon:

[​IMG]

Personally, I'm not diggin' the circular motif and there's some spirited discussions over on the MX forum here about that very topic. Regardless, they're just mats so perhaps we're being too picky?

Anyway, what all-weather mats do some of you folks have? The requisite photos, of course, would be greatly appreciated, thx.

2. thefortunes

thefortunes Member

72k miles on my Roadster (driven year-round here in Wisconsin) and the orignial OEM mats are still in great shape.

Regular vacuuming and occasional shampoo, but I also am fairly conscious about not dragging snow/dirt/etc... into the car.

• Like x 2
  3. DeedWest

DeedWest 2010 Roadster 2.0 - VIN 523

I agree with @thefortunes on this one. In both of my Roadster 2.5's, I've used only the OEM floor mats and taken great care of them. They seem to hold up nicely if they're regularly vacuumed, conditioned, and if you're very cautious about who / what gets into your car.
    Can't beat the TESLA logo, and the fact they're OEM (since I'm very particular and geeky about these cars) :)

• Like x 1
  4. josh-io

josh-io Member

I have the Lloyd's in both my Roadsters and they work great. The OEM mats are sitting in my garage, looking brand new. :)

• Like x 1
  5. Roadster

Roadster JdeMO Powered

Photos pls, thx!

• Like x 1
  6. josh-io

josh-io Member

Here you go!

IMG_9546.JPG IMG_0885.JPG

• Helpful x 1
  7. Roadster

Roadster JdeMO Powered

Okay, those actually aren't that bad! Now we just need a matching mat for the trunk storage compartment. Thx for posting those pix @josh-io!

8. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

9. Nvbob

Nvbob Roadster 1256

We picked up a set of the Lloyds mats (same as what @josh-io has pictured). They did have the holes but, they needed a little "adjustment" to make them fit the way I wanted them to.
    Overall, we are very happy with them. We cleaned our OEMs and only use them for shows.

• Informative x 1
  10. Roadster

Roadster JdeMO Powered

So I ordered a set of the Lloyd Rubbertite mats and immediately noticed the same thing @Nvbob mentioned regarding the anchor hole placements. They were, in fact, waaaaay off...

IMG_3521.jpg IMG_3529.jpg

...so I ended up contacting Lloyd Mats directly to see if they were aware of this. After noticing I was local to them in L.A., their National Sales Manager asked if I could bring my car down to their factory in Northridge so he could take a look. He was very appreciative of this and had a couple of his pattern makers take a look at the fitment issue. They had never seen a Roadster in person and were indeed unaware of the small metal anchor hooks the OE mats utilized.

In less than 15 min, they had mocked up and revised their current Roadster floor mat patterns to include the factory anchor positions. What I particular loved was the fact that their pattern makers are old school and still utilize paper templates for reference. Not only will they be revising the hole positions for the Rubbertite line, they're considering updating addl. product lines that will include metal grommets* like the OE mats!

While we were at it, I ended up showing them the trunk and inquired if they'd entertain the idea of making a matching mat for us that would sit in the lowest position of the tub. They didn't even hesitate and the National Sales Manager ended up mocking up the pattern himself using the thin carpeted cover as an exact template.

Three critical questions were raised that they need our help answering so they can adjust their fitment and product marketing accordingly:
    1. Are all '08 - '11 floor mats the same size and dimensions?
    2. Are all '08 - '11 floor mat anchors in the exactly same location?
    3. Is the 1.5 tub floor the same size as the 2.x tub floor?
    I'll direct them to this thread so thx in advance for the replies and I'll keep everyone posted on their progress.

*Rubbertite will only have the punched holes due to the material thickness and texture.

IMG_3795.jpg IMG_3801.jpg

11. Roadster

Roadster JdeMO Powered

#11 Roadster, May 11, 2019
    Last edited: May 11, 2019
    UPDATE: I received my Lloyd Mats replacements last month and the fitment was perfect! Rick Elias ([email protected]) and his team did a fantastic job with the anchor hole placement so the factory anti-slip hooks now align correctly (see Figs. 1 - 2).

IMG_4697.jpg
    Figure 1. Driver side footwell mat anti-slip hook with corrected hole placement. Rubbertite mat shown.

IMG_4700.jpg Figure 2. Passenger side footwell mat anti-slip hook with corrected hole placement. Rubbertite mat shown.

Their entire product line is now available with this corrected hole position for the Roadster (see Figs. 3 - 4). The Custom-Fit Carpet line (e.g. Velourtex) includes reinforcement grommets around the holes. The Lloyd Mats team intentionally selected a smaller diameter grommet than the factory sized ones to ensure even tighter tolerance and fitment. All Weather mats such as the Rubbertite have raised patterns and cannot be fitted with grommets (see Fig 5).

IMG_4704.jpg
    Figure 3. Driver side floor mat corrected hole placement. Rubbertite shown.

IMG_4711.jpg
    Figure 4. Driver side floor mat corrected hole placement with reinforcement grommet. Velourtex shown.

IMG_4714.jpg
    Figure 5. Comparison of anchor hole treatment (top to bottom): Rubbertite, Velourtex, OE.

Dimensionally, the Lloyd Mats are slightly larger in width than OE which provides for full coverage between the console and the outer footwell (see Fig. 6). The fitment is very snug both laterally and longitudinally. This combined with the smaller hole diameter and corrected anchor positioning creates a practically immovable solution (see Figs. 7 - 9).

IMG_4713.jpg
    Figure 6. Comparison of Lloyd Mats to Tesla original equipment (left to right): Velourtex, OE, Rubbertite.

IMG_4698.jpg
    Figure 7. Driver side floor mat installed. Rubbertite shown.

IMG_4699.jpg
    Figure 8. Passenger side floor mat installed. Rubbertite shown.

IMG_4705.jpg
    Figure 9. Driver side floor mat installed. Velourtex shown.

Finally, as noted previously, they made good on the promise to introduce a rear trunk mat (see Fig. 10). Never did get a response to my earlier question...

...so, for now presumably, it's a direct fit for Roadster 2.x trunks.

IMG_4702.jpg
    Figure 10. New product now available: Small Trunk Mat. Rubbertite shown.

• Informative x 1
  12. rudholm

rudholm Member

I wonder if they'll fix mine. The mat got stuck on the accelerator once. It's a safety issue.

13. Roadster

Roadster JdeMO Powered

Exactly why I reached out to them.