TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

All-Weather Mat with Rear Facing Latches; Cut It?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by MiddKid, Jul 3, 2014.

1. MiddKid

MiddKid Member

Warning...obvious, dumb question ahead!

Took delivery in March but with three kids I have yet to put down the jump seats. We use them virtually every day. Today I'm going on a road trip after work so I put the seats down. I had previously purchased the All-Weather mat package so I had the large trunk mat in the garage but had never put it in.

Laying the mat down last night I realized that the latches for the rear facing seats make it impossible for the mat to lie flat. If I stuff the edge under the latch, the mat bows in the middle. So for now, I have it as shown in the attached picture.

Looking at the mat, it does have that raised "wall" right where the latches are. I'm wondering...is the intent that I cut out the rubber there? Has anyone else done this? Does the cut come out clean? Curious on solutions others may be using.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

It's pretty common for all-weather mats to have little sections like this where the cars varies based on options. Typically they're designed to be cut, just as you suspected. I've done it on other vehicles, but I don't have the rear-facing seats so I haven't done it with the Tesla mats.

3. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

Yep. Designed to be cut. Service did ours for us. The one time I've used it. :)

4. tomp

tomp Member

Any chance you have a picture? I'm planning to cut mine but would appreciate knowing how yours was cut and if it works well.
    thanks!

5. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

You might use a tool that makes a smooth cut in that kind of material, not just regular tools. Or maybe heat a little first.....

6. RomainiacWV

RomainiacWV Member

I cut mine. I did not remove the whole section because I still wanted the carpet protected underneith, just made a slit with scissors into the mat the length of the latch. Mat falls over it and the area underneith remains clean.