Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All-Weather Tyres for Model Y with 19" Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SageBrush

REJECT Fascism
May 7, 2015
New Mexico
Our Model Y will arrive in the next 3 - 6 months and I learned the hard way that the OEM tyres are poor performers in slick winter conditions. I used dedicated winter tyres on our Model 3 in Colorado but here in Albuquerque I'm willing to risk the combination of AWD with 3PMSF certified 'all-weather' tyres now that I can choose when to drive.

So far as I can tell, all-weathers are not yet made in 255/45/19 xl. The Michelin Cross-climate however does come in 245/45/19 xl. Close enough ? Good enough ? Trade-offs ?

I'd like to hear experiences and informed opinion about this choice, or other possible choices.

Thanks everybody !

You can get a set of Vredstein Quattac Pro's I the stock 19" size. I jist put them on the car so 8 ahve yet to see how they will do in the winter but I've read some positive reviews. I had dedicated snows on my last car and it definitely helps but I work from home a lot more now so it snows too much I'll be staying in.

Reactions: SageBrush
I jist put them on the car so 8 ahve yet to see how they will do in the winter but I've read some positive reviews.
Interesting, thanks for sharing.

Are the tyres 3PMSF rated ?

What is the tyre size you have ? I found 235, 55 aspect ratio that is not OEM sized, but perhaps that is a good thing for my wife who seems to try and hit every possible pothole. That works out to be about 12.5% more sidewall.

Last edited:
I forgot to add to the OP:
I have seen discussion in TMC about using 18" wheels and tyres on the Model Y. That was actually my original intent since I had a set of 18" wheels with winter tyres in my garage I had used with my Model 3. I decided against it after watching a YT video that showed very little clearance between the rim and the suspension knuckle.

I did a lot of research on all weather tires for the Model Y. The Toyo Celsius performs the best on snow and icy conditions. Wintrac Pros does not do so well in snow/ice. I'm seriously considering the Toyo Celsius for my Model Y.

Nice find !
Do you happen to know how deep the 'snow' tread goes ? I found a discussion on the 'net that suggested that some all-weather tyres have good snow performance for the first 2/32 of tread only. The 60k mile treadwear warranty *and* excellent snow rating for these tyres is an unusually good combination.

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

Are the tyres 3PMSF rated ?

What is the tyre size you have ? I found 235, 55 aspect ratio that is not OEM sized, but perhaps that is a good thing for my wife who seems to try and hit every possible pothole. That works out to be about 12.5% more sidewall.
Searching on tirerack.com for 255/45-19, the Quatrac Pro is the only all-season with proper load rating that is 3PMSF. I was going to get CrossClimate2 from Costco, but it does not come in the right size to stay the same overall diameter. 235/50-19 is close but Costco will not mount it because the load rating is 103 instead of 104. I'm going to get General Altimax R43, which is not 3PMSF but if you search on the forum here people seem to have just as good experience with comfort and snow conditions as the Quatrac Pro and is much cheaper.

Reactions: DC2ACMY
Let us know what you get. I wasn't happy with the CC2 on my Model 3. I live in Texas and they noticably affected the summer performance.

If they had the right size I may be happy with them in the Y because we have it lifted and go camping with it. We didn't buy the Y for the driving experience.

I found a goldmine of data at

This is the only place I have seen rolling resistance data in addition to usual performance and winter results. Pick your poison folks, tyre choice is one big exercise in trade-offs

Reactions: BigDog