Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All wheel drive and Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't feel like going into that but yes if you are ok with a harsher ride, frequent flats , blowouts, rim damage, hours of wasted inconvenience waiting to get towed, extremely expensive repairs and multiple thousand dollar replacements, then by all means go ahead and get the 21s :)

These are issues because of the tire being low profile with less of a sidewall isn't it? Not inherently the 21" rims or wheels right? I was considering 19" with a Pilot Super Sport Tire (255/45ZR19). Would they experience similar issues?

These are issues because of the tire being low profile with less of a sidewall isn't it? Not inherently the 21" rims or wheels right? I was considering 19" with a Pilot Super Sport Tire (255/45ZR19). Would they experience similar issues?
No, they are larger than the 19" OE tires (245/45R19), and so will have a taller sidewall (so wheel well/suspension clearance could be a factor, as could hydroplaning.)

Profile (aspect ratio) is just a percentage ( aspect ratio = nominal section height / nominal section width ). By itself it tells you nothing about how tall the sidewall might be. Using a bit of algebra ( nominal section height = nominal section width * aspect ratio ).

The main thing about the 21" OE tire size is that because they have such a short sidewall, you have to be very sure to keep them inflated. The air pressure in the tire is the main defense against pothole damage. The shorter the sidewall, the more pressure is required to absorb the force of impact.

17,200 miles on my 85D. Just had the tires rotated. Even wear on all 4 tires across the whole tire. All tread measurements are 8/32. So far based on my experience I'm not seeing the unusual wear the RWD vehicles have reported.

You drive a lot. :smile:

I'm glad to hear about the even tire wear. I also am a high-mileage 85D driver with 11k miles since May and haven't gotten around to rotating the tires yet.