TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

All Wheel Drive

Discussion in 'Future Cars' started by Heart of Gold, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Member

So here is a thought:
    Teslas mission is to create the best car possible.
    Since a car with AWD is better than a car with FWD or RWD, all future Tesla models will have AWD.

Starting with the Model X, then AWD as an option for Model S "soon" after the MX launch.
    Then after a while RWD won't be an option on the MS.
    Then the Model ≡ will also be AWD only.

Objections?

2. tom66

tom66 Member

For most people AWD is an added luxury and expense they don't really need. AWD should be optional for Gen III vehicles if they're to be priced to a specific low price point. I do think it should be an available option, though. I'd also like to see Tesla try their hand at independent motor drive. The handling you could get out of such a vehicle would be amazing! Can you imagine a gen III Roadster type vehicle with independent wheel drive?

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

No need for all Teslas to have AWD as standard. It just increases the base price. Not consistent with Tesla's mission.

AWD definitely should be an option on all Teslas. I hope it is not standard on the Model 3 SUV. The lower the base price the bigger the potential market and the more ICE vehicles are retired.

4. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Yes I do not believe that this is a correct statement.

RWD and FWD are better than AWD in some circumstances. Weight being an easy one. Also simplicity. I really don't want two drive units in my car. I don't plan on any low grip situations where AWD would be beneficial.

5. jaguar36

jaguar36 Member

I wholeheartedly disagree with that statement. RWD is the best. RWD + snow tires is plenty for any car like the Model S in the winter.

6. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I found in last year's brutal winter that my Model S with Nokian Hakka R2s did amazingly well. My last car was a Cadillac CTS with AWD, and I do notice that when powering through dry corners with the Model S, it feels like it is kind of "plowing" through the corner whereas the Caddy would just power and pull right through. I'm not sure if it was due to a lighter car, the AWD or both, but the Caddy did handle the corners better.

7. tom66

tom66 Member

One of the advantages of AWD is it can become a RWD car at any time. Tesla should offer this capability on the Model X.

Also hypothetically, if the FWD or RWD drivetrain failed, the car should still be able to continue on, and go into a sort of "limp mode". That should improve the perceived reliability issues.

8. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

But will it be able to? And will it?

Well it will help be more efficient, and can possibly recover enough energy to compensate for the added mas ~50-100kg I would guess. But mass still makes the car worse in other ways.

Well more simple than an ICE power train is great. It is still much more complicated than a RWD or FWD vehicle. Espically considering they will be using an 'electronic' differential (front/rear). And are seemingly implying different drive ratios for each drive set. In an emergency situation having a consistently responding vehicle is safe. Having AWD doesn't always do that.

I respect your opinion that AWD is always better/preferable to FWD/RWD. But that statement is not fact as you stated. The obvious reason why Model 3 wont be 100% AWD is cost. Which is the other major drawback of AWD, beyond weight. It will be present but as an option, and perhaps required/standard on the Performance version.

And they dropped RWD on the Model X because the SUV market has expectations of AWD and faux-off-road abilities. The sedan market is completely different.

9. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

For winter or 'mud season' use my ideal MS would have a TINY front drivetrain that would kick out at ~15 mph similar to HIGH suspension position. It could NOT work unless you first put it in HIGH. So it would rarely be used on highways, certainly not when there is any traffic. Just enough power to assist in slippery hill climbing at slow speeds.

99.9% of the time the MS is perfect just the way it is now wrt braking, traction control, acceleration, cornering, etc.
    --

10. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Simplicity is key. The entry Model 3 will have RWD simply to meet Tesla's price target. AWD will be an option although whether it will be available right away is not certain.

11. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Sorry I confused you with Heart of Gold who I originally responded to. I disagreed with his statement that AWD was better than FWD or RWD.

12. wallet.dat

wallet.dat Member

Probably a bit of both. The four rubber contact patches don't care what kind of engine you have, but they do care about total weight. That's the difference 1000lbs will make :)