Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All X now come standard with 2" hitch receiver for towing, no longer an option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Initially they had two options for "towing": the Accessory hitch (IIRC $250) and the Towing package ($750). They did away with the smaller Accessory Hitch and only offered the Towing package. I believe it was the size that differentiated the two (Accessory hitch is smaller).

The Towing package also adds software which optimizes the X driving performance for towing (Bjorn has lots of videos about this), disables autosteer and some other stuff. I suspect there are also other physical connections which the tow package includes that didn't come with the accessory hitch.

So the standard is now the Towing package. The accessory hitch has been ditched a while back.
Correction. While Tesla had the intention of releasing a smaller Accessory Hitch that was really easy to use, they never released it. Anyone who ordered the Accessory Hitch actually got the Tow Hitch from the Towing Package (minus the software).

According to this page Order a Model X the X now comes standard with the 2" hitch receiver for towing. It is no longer an option. This change occurred at the same time as the other changes: some PUP features made standard, optional ultra hiring sound and heated steering wheel/rear seats/wiper blades part of the PUP, all optional seats now the same material as the white seats, etc.

I am surprised that Tesla decided to make the tow package standard on the X. I would think only a small fraction of all X owner would ever do any towing.

I was playing with the design studio and couldn't see any reference of towing package, nor any hitch reference. Is this because I'm from Europe? Where the reference to the hitch you cited is wrote in the design studio? Thanks.

I was playing with the design studio and couldn't see any reference of towing package, nor any hitch reference. Is this because I'm from Europe? Where the reference to the hitch you cited is wrote in the design studio? Thanks.
Towing package now comes standard with every Model-X. You'll see under "Standard Features" -> "Convenience" the following:
2" receiver for hitch-mounted bike and ski carriers, capable of towing 5,000 pounds on 20" wheels or 3,500 pounds on 22" wheels

• Informative
Reactions: Atlantis