Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Yosemite National Park chargers are down! Rivian, what are you doing?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(Embarrassingly I have misplaced all required info of my old account and I don't have my usual device at hand, so I had to create a new id to get this info out)

On Tuesday Nov 16, all 10 J1772 and one Tesla charger were replaced by Rivian J1772 chargers. None of them is working still on Nov 17 evening. They say it will be operational "soon". I wanted to get this info out as I would hate people to be stranded here.

• Informative
Reactions: kayak1 and Tam
Yes I was up there and thank goodness we decided to take our ICE vehicle. The Rivians at Ahwahnee and the Curry store were also down. They look like they will work but they don't. The hotel said there is a "programming issue."

Yosemite is definitely a challenging place to drive an EV.... they need high-speed chargers on the valley floor before I will bring my Tesla there.

I agree that more charging options is always better, and I hope Rivian gets this sorted soon. Plus, the following likely won't appear to be a good option to someone visiting Yosemite from the Bay area. But for those that live farther away from Yosemite:

My wife and I visited Yosemite over a decade ago (when there were no chargers in the park) with a 220-mile-rated Tesla and had absolutely no problems - and we drove everywhere we could. We came from farther away than goldengate, so as we needed a place to stay anyway, we stayed at a campground just outside of Yosemite - we were in a cabin while the car charged overnight.

Those living in the Bay area might not find that to be their favorite way to visit, but it was a fantastic trip for us. Driving up to Glacier Point was about the most fun I've ever had in a car. (We were fortunate to visit on a sunny September afternoon with almost no traffic).

Glacier point.jpg

Last edited:
At the Ahwahnee now. The Rivian chargers seem to be working now but, of course, there are only two for the ten or so Teslas here so don't count on having charging here.
Glad to hear they are working... the Rivian said it was charging but our Range Rover (HPEV) disagreed and did not accept the charge. Until there is a Supercharger on the valley floor I'm not going to deal with it... it's hard enough to find a parking space at the Ahwahnee after 5 pm, much less stress over chargers. I hear people leave notes "Please call me at xxx when you are finished charging." It's literally the only place I won't take my Tesla... for now! :)

Glad to hear they are working... the Rivian said it was charging but our Range Rover (HPEV) disagreed and did not accept the charge. Until there is a Supercharger on the valley floor I'm not going to deal with it... it's hard enough to find a parking space at the Ahwahnee after 5 pm, much less stress over chargers. I hear people leave notes "Please call me at xxx when you are finished charging." It's literally the only place I won't take my Tesla... for now! :)
Best not to count on it. They need a lot more chargers.
I lucked out today. Was walking through the lot just as someone was leaving so could plug in. It's charging 8.6 kW

Reactions: goldengate
I was in Yosemite for the long weekend. Couple of notes on the Rivian branded EVSEs. Still 100% free, no codes/cards/membership/etc required. The Yosemite Valley Lodge still has 8 EVSEs, and the Village Store still has 1 EVSE. Both are 32A / 208V. The Ahwahnee has two EVSEs, now both 40A / 208V. Presumably, the previous Tesla HPWC was on a 100A (80A usable) circuit, that is now shared between the two; and the 20A(16A) circuit was capped off. 11 total Rivian EVSEs.

All of the Rivian EVSEs I tried (~5) seemed to be in good working order. They have a big light on the top that can be seen from a distance; makes them much easier to spot.

To those worried about charging, we stayed at the Yosemite Valley Lodge. Every night, we were able to snag a charging spot. Yet, according to the front desk, they were sold out this weekend. So I feel that bodes well for anyone wanting to drive an EV into Yosemite.

I have stayed at the Ahwahnee multiple times. Regardless of session, it's always hard to snag an EVSE at either the hotel or the one at the Village Store. IMHO, the 8 EVSEs at the Lodge (regardless of which brand they are) are a huge game-changer for EV owners wanting an anxiety-free trip to Yosemite (presuming they're spending the night at the Lodge).