Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alliant Credit Union 1.49% for 72 months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmmm....I'd planned to lease (new car due end of June), partly because I could write off some of the cost, and also because I need to release some cash from the sale of my current S. But, those rates are really attractive. Honestly, I'm not even sure what the actual tax benefit is from being able to write off the payments (roughly 30% biz miles, 14k per yr), but with the relatively uncompetative lease rates, and having to pay sales tax on the entire amount, the loan is looknig like a more attractive option.
If this car qualifies for sec 179, which I believe it does, you can ask your CPA if it will work as a write-off, I believe you would need to register and insure it under your business. If you put yourself on the registration and use it for your business (drive between offices) those mile are deductible.

The fuel savings is only about $1080 over 3 yrs
But now H3 shows a number I agree with
::shrug:: Perhaps I was imagining things
thanks for using the sheet and your feedback. I threw it together pretty quick so it's definitely possible that there are some issues and a few things that aren't clear. it wasn't originally meant to compare BUY vs LEASE because fuel savings are the same for both of those scenarios so you wouldn't want them in your comparison. But there should be enough data there to help answer questions from a few different angles about owning a Tesla over time.

thanks for using the sheet and your feedback.
And now I am aware of the PPMT and IPMT functions ;-)

I've spent some time over the last couple weeks deconstructing leases since that is my intent for the Model ☰ in order to receive the federal tax credit. So far as I can tell (but please correct any errors,) compared to a purchase:
  1. Depreciation is set at ~ 50%
  2. Fees to start and end the lease are extra, not paid on a purchase
  3. The lease APR is whatever Tesla arranges for financing (of whatever flavor,) and about half of the car value is subject to that rate for the duration of the lease. The other 50% of car value interest can be saved by paying off the lease amount earlier.

Last edited:
If this car qualifies for sec 179, which I believe it does, you can ask your CPA if it will work as a write-off, I believe you would need to register and insure it under your business. If you put yourself on the registration and use it for your business (drive between offices) those mile are deductible.

Under sec 179 are we sure we have to register and insure it under your business? Can anyone confirm that? I'm in Los Angeles and was not told by my accountant that I didn't have to. Anyone?

Under sec 179 are we sure we have to register and insure it under your business? Can anyone confirm that? I'm in Los Angeles and was not told by my accountant that I didn't have to. Anyone?

I don't think this is required. Most real estate agents are considered self-employed, sole proprietorship so don't have an official licensed business, and they take the section 179 deduction all the time. My accountant has never mentioned to me that I needed to register my cars under my business either to take the deduction. Of course you do need to prove that you used it for business via mileage logs, etc, but I don't think registration and insurance is proof of business use, nor is it required.

I don't think this is required. Most real estate agents are considered self-employed, sole proprietorship so don't have an official licensed business, and they take the section 179 deduction all the time. My accountant has never mentioned to me that I needed to register my cars under my business either to take the deduction. Of course you do need to prove that you used it for business via mileage logs, etc, but I don't think registration and insurance is proof of business use, nor is it required.
This is a requirement, but not necessarily what is done by most. You can use privately registered cars and apply a percentage of the deduction based on mileage, but as far as section 179 for a passenger car to be 100% deductible, it needs to be in co. name and be used 100% of the time for business. If there's a CPA in here maybe they can shed light on the specifics for us. this is how it was explained to me by my CPA.

Last edited:
Hmmmm....I'd planned to lease (new car due end of June), partly because I could write off some of the cost, and also because I need to release some cash from the sale of my current S. But, those rates are really attractive. Honestly, I'm not even sure what the actual tax benefit is from being able to write off the payments (roughly 30% biz miles, 14k per yr), but with the relatively uncompetative lease rates, and having to pay sales tax on the entire amount, the loan is looknig like a more attractive option.

Hi Pete

Can you share how exactly to write off $14k per yr? I own a small business that's exactly what I want do

Thanks