Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Allowing someone to unplug you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once you plug the charge cord in to a tesla, it locks and can't be unplugged unless the key is nearby or you unlock from the touchscreen. But is there a way to /not/ lock the charge port? Let's say I'm destination charging and don't mind if someone comes along and unplugs me in the next parking spot over. Is there a way to allow this? My first thought was a plastic adapater similar to the J1772 adapter but then it dawned on me this is just a software feature.

All I've ever heard of is leaving your phone number and they call you, and you unlock it remotely through the app. That's assuming you are using a Tesla cord (Destination/Supercharger). The whole point is that the car IS locked and random people can't unplug you. It would have to be an added feature to have the port not lock when you lock the car.

I am also interested in the opposite, leaving the charge port available not plugged in

I was charging at a J1772 charger in a parking garage and when I returned parked next to me was a Chevy Volt

The Volt had the charging port open so I unplugged myself and plug him in

Is there a way to leave the charging port open?

• Love
Reactions: ai4px
I am also interested in the opposite, leaving the charge port available not plugged in

I was charging at a J1772 charger in a parking garage and when I returned parked next to me was a Chevy Volt

The Volt had the charging port open so I unplugged myself and plug him in

Is there a way to leave the charging port open?
If you put the J1772 adapter in, the charge port will stay open (and the adapter is locked in), and someone can plug/unplug a J1772 style charger.

• Helpful
Reactions: All In and Spacep0d
Will the charge port open with the button on the end of the Tesla wall connector when the car is locked and the key not near?

Yes, my S does. It's easier with the fob and unlocking it first, since it can take a bit to wake the car with just the HPWC button, but it does wake, open the charge port door and allows you to charge without the key -- but the car stays locked. Also, whenever I push the HPWC button to charge my 3 in my garage, the charge port opens on my S. So, if my theory is correct, anyone with a Tesla fob can hold the frunk button and stop a car from charging, and remove the charger (or EVSE plug for the purists since the charger is in the car). Before you could open the port with the fob, someone here made a remote device that would open the charge port but the signal was so powerful it would pop open every Tesla charge port in a parking lot.

Last edited:
Yes.... and that was my first thought.... an adapter like that which would stay with the car and allow the charge plug to be removed by those in need..... then it hit me... software.

Maybe you can put in a request to add an option for the port to be unlocked at a certain battery level, but then that leaves you open to also being able to lose your J1772 adapter

Reactions: ai4px
Yes, my S does. It's easier with the fob and unlocking it first, since it can take a bit to wake the car with just the HPWC button, but it does wake, open the charge port door and allows you to charge without the key -- but the car stays locked. Also, whenever I push the HPWC button to charge my 3 in my garage, the charge port opens on my S. So, if my theory is correct, anyone with a Tesla fob can hold the frunk button and stop a car from charging, and remove the charger (or EVSE plug for the purists since the charger is in the car). Before you could open the port with the fob, someone here made a remote device that would open the charge port but the signal was so powerful it would pop open every Tesla charge port in a parking lot.
That’s interesting. Mine doesn’t do that
If the car is locked and the key is not in range, the port opens but the light doesn’t come on, I tried plugging in and nothing happens

• Informative
Reactions: MarkKW and Canuck
If the car is locked and the key is not in range, the port opens but the light doesn’t come on, I tried plugging in and nothing happens
This is what I would expect... the 'wand' button only opens doors, it has no other function. Same for the button on the fob, if the car is locked (it's not your car).

You need the car to be unlocked to unlock/release the charging wand (whatever part is in the car, or 1772.

Now, 'no other function' does include asking the car to release the wand if the car is unlocked. But it can't do any of that IF the car is locked.

That's weird. With my 2016 X on 2018.14.2, I can hear the car wake up when I press the button without the key nearby, but the port stays locked closed, not responding to either the button or pressure on the port door.

I can't imagine why you'd want the port to open if it isn't going to allow a cord to plug in.

That's weird. With my 2016 X on 2018.14.2, I can hear the car wake up when I press the button without the key nearby, but the port stays locked closed, not responding to either the button or pressure on the port door.

I can't imagine why you'd want the port to open if it isn't going to allow a cord to plug in.
I agree, but I think it's a separate hardware function. RF signal triggers door, that's it. Just like you can press the door on the S and X and it will open. (Does the 3 allow mechanical open the same way?)

I have the old manually closing charge port door if that makes any difference (March 2014 build). I just tested with both my S and 3 locked and HPWC button and no fobs or phones near. The S opens the charge port and the light goes white. The 3 does nothing. I like the fact that I don't need my key to charge -- the downside is anyone can unplug me -- or worse steal my adapter -- but that's not really a concern. Also, whenever I push the button on the HPWC to open the charge port door on my 3, it pops my S's door, so I'm trying to learn to give the door a push instead but I'm so conditioned over 4 years to just push the button.

Reactions: AMPd
I have the old manually closing charge port door if that makes any difference (March 2014 build). I just tested with both my S and 3 locked and HPWC button and no fobs or phones near. The S opens the charge port and the light goes white. The 3 does nothing. I like the fact that I don't need my key to charge -- the downside is anyone can unplug me -- or worse steal my adapter -- but that's not really a concern. Also, whenever I push the button on the HPWC to open the charge port door on my 3, it pops my S's door, so I'm trying to learn to give the door a push instead but I'm so conditioned over 4 years to just push the button.
I remember there was a long thread here discussing this exact topic.
The consclusion was different cars behaved differently
I believe it was a thread about someone being worried their J1772 adapter would be stolen.

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
IIRC, if the car is locked you cannot remove a charge cable (or J1772 adapter) from the car. So you might be able to start a charge, but not remove whatever's plugged into the port.

Another option for the OP (though probably not a desirable one) would be to leave the car unlocked. At least with the S, you can plug or unplug from the port then. That's easy for me, since I don't have the automatic walk-away lock feature. Too often I have an instrument in the car that I can't risk losing, so I (almost!) always lock with the fob.

Just yesterday we were in key west at the margaritaville parking garage. There is a model x in there plugged in to one of two j1772s. The other unit wasn’t working. I admit I stole his plug... and then had to power cycle the evse to get it to work. I plugged him back in when we left. I’d seen him there the day before when we were walking around scoping out stuff so I figured he wouldnt mind

This is exactly the situation I started this thread for... the only reason we were able to charge yesterday was because he used the 1772 adapter. Sure would be nice if there was a way to leave the charge port unlocked or have a Tesla to Tesla adapter