Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Allowing someone to unplug you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yep, I wouldn’t trust a stranger calling me to unlock my car.

That’s one of the sillier things I’ve heard on this forum. I don’t do it always, but a few times I’ve left a card in my window when I knew I was going to be blocking a destination charger for longer than I actually needed it (like overnight at a hotel for example). I had someone take me up on it once - they texted, I remotely unlocked charge port, they were eternally grateful. Everybody wins.

Being even the slightest bit kind and accommodating goes a long way.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Just yesterday we were in key west at the margaritaville parking garage. There is a model x in there plugged in to one of two j1772s. The other unit wasn’t working. I admit I stole his plug... and then had to power cycle the evse to get it to work. I plugged him back in when we left. I’d seen him there the day before when we were walking around scoping out stuff so I figured he wouldnt mind

This is exactly the situation I started this thread for... the only reason we were able to charge yesterday was because he used the 1772 adapter. Sure would be nice if there was a way to leave the charge port unlocked or have a Tesla to Tesla adapter
I’m not sure I would like someone “borrowing” my charge time when my car was being charged. Understandable if perhaps the guy was a major squatter, but otherwise seems a bit dubious.

Once you plug the charge cord in to a tesla, it locks and can't be unplugged unless the key is nearby or you unlock from the touchscreen. But is there a way to /not/ lock the charge port? Let's say I'm destination charging and don't mind if someone comes along and unplugs me in the next parking spot over. Is there a way to allow this? My first thought was a plastic adapater similar to the J1772 adapter but then it dawned on me this is just a software feature.
I have twice been charging my Telsa and had someone unplug it and plug the charger into their car. I caught the first guy, but eas wondering how he was able to do it without the car being unlocked. Keep in mind, it wasn’t a Tesla charging station.

Once you plug the charge cord in to a tesla, it locks and can't be unplugged unless the key is nearby or you unlock from the touchscreen. But is there a way to /not/ lock the charge port? Let's say I'm destination charging and don't mind if someone comes along and unplugs me in the next parking spot over. Is there a way to allow this? My first thought was a plastic adapater similar to the J1772 adapter but then it dawned on me this is just a software feature.
I have twice been charging my Telsa and had someone unplug it and plug the charger into their car. I caught the first guy, but eas wondering how he was able to do it without the car being unlocked. Keep in mind, it wasn’t a Tesla charging station.

The Tesla adapter doesn't lock to the J1772 adapter to the charge cord without a 3rd party locking ring and small lock.

So if you are plugged into a J1772 with your adapter, the adapter will stay in your car, but they can unplug and take the charge cord from you.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
The Tesla adapter doesn't lock to the J1772 adapter to the charge cord without a 3rd party locking ring and small lock.

So if you are plugged into a J1772 with your adapter, the adapter will stay in your car, but they can unplug and take the charge cord from you.
Thank you, but when I tried to unplug it from their, (charging cable) it wouldn’t unplug. I guess I didn’t pull on it hard enough🤷🏿‍♂️