TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Alloy Gators Rim Protection (Pics and info)

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by NJTestla, Mar 24, 2013.

1. strider

strider Active Member

I went black as I doubt the silver will match perfectly and I'd rather have the wheels look smaller than have the protectors "clash". Interested to see some pics though.

2. teslasguy

teslasguy MSP P#1117

I just installed the Alloy Gators on my 21s today. A few tips. Use a lot of soapy water around the bead and on the Gators. Makes install a LOT easier. Leave about 1/8th" gap when cutting the end to slide under the flap of the other end. When you hammer it in you'll find that gap will pretty much disappear. If you don't cut it a little short it won't want to fit and you end up pulling it back out to shorten. The cover will cover up any gap anyway. When trying to get the right end to fit under the left end flap, use your fingers to get it started. Don't try to just hammer it in. Will tend to bend or
    Buckle and that joint also easily breaks when hitting with rubber mallet. Two of mine had small pieces break off when I was tapping on the joint with the mallet. Easy does it at that point. One final note. I put my car height on very high then set to jack mode before jacking up. Park locks rear wheels and its impossible to set the car in neutral when jack mode is set. I tried it (chalked the wheels first) so I could turn the rear wheels while installing the Gators. No go. Crap!

3. Panacea

Panacea TSLA Shareholder/Believer

Sounds like you got it down to a science teslaguy...how about I pop on over in about a month with my red P85 so you wont let all that experince and knowledge go to waste, lol?:biggrin:

4. teslasguy

teslasguy MSP P#1117

Pop on over. I'll be glad to watch and advise ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

5. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Thanks, worked great!

6. AltPowr

AltPowr Member

Has anyone figured out what happens when you replace your tires? Do the gators need to be removed first? Or do they just fall off when the tire is removed? Can the tire machine deal with it, or will it cause problems? If it needs to be removed and/or falls off, do you have to start all over hammering it in? What about the glued end seam and the cover that was glued on?

I'm assuming the tire is holding it in place on the rim - am I wrong?

7. strider

strider Active Member

Mine arrived yesterday so I hope to get to them this weekend. But this statement baffles me. There must be some combination of tow mode, jack mode, and neutral to get the wheels to turn freely.

8. dadaleus

dadaleus 4GETOIL P85#S70,FdrX,S85D

So what does it look like when you scuff the Gators? Is it better looking than scuffing the wheel, or is the idea just that at least the underlying wheel is okay?

9. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

You get a tool with the gators to trim off any scuffs. Ends up looking like new (though I guess if you keep scuffing the same area, the amount of protection there will diminish significantly).

10. Babylonfive

Babylonfive Power12

The Gator instructions show that they are held in by the bead rubber. Changing tires would release them, but you should be able to replace them on the new tires.
    Their website says the following:
    temp.JPG

I'd actually ask them the details about this, as there may be a refurbishment effort required (replace the 'connector' and the metal 'fingers'? they sell a kit of these for little cost).

11. Alpha

Alpha Member

Anyone brave enough to try putting red alloy gators with the red body? Not sure I'm brave enough... but tempted. It might look really cool.. or just super cheesy... (or both depending on who's looking at it?) :)

Worst case I suppose I can replace them if I'm not happy with that...

12. Panacea

Panacea TSLA Shareholder/Believer

Ah, Alpha, when you do put your red gators on your red car...PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE post a pic up. I went the safe black route....just waiting for my car now.

13. Alpha

Alpha Member

Just ordered the red ones this morning. I'm gonna go for it!!
    If it looks just awful, I can always replace em later!
    Will post pics!

14. dadaleus

dadaleus 4GETOIL P85#S70,FdrX,S85D

Ordered black. Sick of rashing my rims. Just got them powder coated black and then immediately rashed one of them.

Hope they come before I'm forced to replace my tires.

15. RLA12194

RLA12194 Member

here are some scuffed gator pics. the last pic shows the end result after the burrs are scraped off. the product works and it definitely beats dealing with rim rash.

IMAG0038.jpg IMAG0039.jpg IMAG0040.jpg IMAG0041.jpg IMAG0042.jpg

16. artsci

artsci Sponsor

The 21' rim edges are very vulnerable. After less than a week with the car I scuffed the edge of my right rear rim on a protruding curb. And I was scheduled to have the Gator protectors installed next week. Damn!

The 21' rim edges are very vulnerable. I think the Gators are a must. I have silver and they match the wheels pretty well. I'll post some photos once they're installed.

17. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I'd love to see (best approximation of) Signature Red gators, if anyone has been so bold.

18. Fred R.

Fred R. Member

Does anyone know if installing the AlloyGators violates any of the terms of the Model S warranty? Thanks for your thoughts.

19. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

No reason why it should. The tire manufacturer may have an issue, but Tesla won't care. Tires are warrantied by the tire manufacturer, not the vehicle manufacturer.

20. Electric1

Electric1 Member

I put my black Gators on last week. The only difficulty was fitting the metal clips, so we cleaned up some of the flash at the insert site with an Xacto knife and that seems to have done the trick. We'll see how they do.