TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Alloy Gators Rim Protection (Pics and info)

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by NJTestla, Mar 24, 2013.

1. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

While I certainly appreciate experiences all around, and don't doubt that you indeed experienced air loss jammerJDC... I've had my gators on my 19" rims for about 6 weeks and 4000 miles, and I've had no issues with pressure loss. I installed them myself and although I was careful, it was pretty straightforward to set them in the rim without disturbing the bead seal.

2. spatterso911

spatterso911 P100DL - Raven

Mine have been on for about 6000 miles. No leak issues. One scrape, no rim damage. So glad they were there. The repair would have cost more than whole set of gators.

The supplied tool cleaned up the scrape damage nicely as well...

3. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Last week I scraped a curb with the front and left right wheels so hard that it tore off a part of the Gator on the left rear wheel. I'll have to replace that Gator but there's a lot less damage to the wheel than would have been the case without the Gators. And the new Gator will completely cover the scrapes to the wheel rim.

4. scaesare

I cringed reading that. :(

Sorry to hear... but glad the damage will have been minimized.

5. artsci

artsci Sponsor

After it happened I was afraid to look and it took me two days to even inspect the damage. It looks awful -- I'll post a photo or two this evening. But the Gator saved the day,

6. scaesare

lol... I wouldn't have wanted to look either, but I wouldn't have been able to relax until I knew and would need to check it out immediately...

7. Banahogg

Banahogg Member

I dropped my car off for service today and the guy doing the intake inspection said that something like 90% of the cars that come in have some curb rash, both 19" and 21". Somewhat astonishingly, mine didn't (I know I've bumped a couple of curbs, so I must have just gotten lucky).

8. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Here are some photos of the damage to the Gators and the right rear rim. It's painful to look at but without the Gators the damage to the rims would have been far worse

_DSC3847.JPG

_DSC3848.JPG

_DSC3850.JPG

9. NJ Plugin

NJ Plugin Member

I bought a set of the Gators.

Anybody in NJ have them installed, and can recommend a installer north central area?

Thank you.

10. Panacea

Panacea TSLA Shareholder/Believer

and car settings 50 bucks no problem.
    I went to a local guy who owns a Shell Station on Dover Chester Road in Randolph NJ. Explained the jacking.

11. nkohlimd

nkohlimd Member

Rick
    Sorry to hear about the rim-safe driving!

12. cfOH

cfOH Member

I was really glad I had my Alloygators on when I brushed up (ok, pretty hard) against a parking lot curb Monday evening. Here's what the Gator looked like afterward:

alloygator.png

The wheel? Perfect...zero damage. And the spare AG that came in my set went back on that wheel the next day. I'm actually getting pretty good at installing these...only took me about 20 minutes start to finish.

Worth their weight in gold (or at least silver), these things.

13. Cirion

Cirion Member

For those still wondering about Red gators on black P85+
    P_20130906_075712.jpg

14. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Thanks!

I've been waiting for a picture. Now I need to doctor that image to see how it might look for Sig Red with Silver 21s.

15. TsRocket

TsRocket Member

21" wheel alloygators

Does anyone have these? To protect their rims. Service rep says this is the name, i have seen them, or equal on 21"wheels this summer. These AlloyGators hail from UK and Aus. This seems unlikely. Anyone with a source? Www.alloygator.com

16. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Check up-thread and there's also a group buy going on in Hawaii from the company you linked right now.

17. TsRocket

TsRocket Member

21" wheel alloygators for "curb rash"

Does anyone have these? To protect their rims. Service rep says this is the name, i have seen them, or equal on 21"wheels this summer. These AlloyGators hail from UK and Aus. This seems unlikely. Anyone with a source? Www.alloygator.com

18. Saxena

Saxena Member

Yes, we have the AlloyGators on our 21" wheels. They were shipped from UK and received fairly quickly. There was also a New York distributor but for a higher cost.

19. captain_zap

captain_zap Electron tamer

I have them as well and installed them myself. Ordered them directly from the UK. Really a great idea and they look good. They did throw the wheel balance slightly out and I had the SC rebalance them when I was in last.

20. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

Ditto. Ordered from UK site. Got then in about 7 days. At that time they were giving Tesla owners a 10% discount by entering 'tesla' in the 'promotions code box'.