Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alloy Gators Rim Protection (Pics and info)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes - that is exactly my point, how do I tell if they will properly install them? I have never done anything non-standard to my previous car's tires. I have Firestore, STS Auto, and Sears Auto in close proximity so I guess those are fairly well-respected for this kind of thing?

the install video makes it pretty clear that they need to be hammered in all the way... I left a bit of a gap. I was lazy and didn't fix it right away but I did keep an eye on them over 13,000 miles and over several months, the gap grew. I did finally jack the car up, partially deflated the tires again and hammered them in all the way with the proper hammer. Even when installed properly I do think it makes sense to inspect them every so often, they do take quite a beating. Bottom line though, if I had not installed these, the rims would have been ruined by now... the gators are worth their weight in gold, probably literally over time!

Yep, I do a visual inspection every few hundred miles...takes 20 seconds...just to make sure they're all still seated properly. It's easy to tell if they're not since the lip that hangs over the wheel should be touching (or within a mm or so) of the wheel. If you can see or feel a significant gap, then jack the car up, deflate the tire, spray on some soapy water, pound it back in with a rubber mallet, and reinflate the tire. I've only had to do that once and that was on the very first one I ever installed. All the rest have stayed put over the 1,500 miles or so I've driven on them so far. And they've saved my wheels at least three times that I know of.

So I tried to get 3 local tire shops to install them for me, and they all refuse citing liability issues and lack of understanding how they affect the interface between the rim and the "bead" of tire. I am a newbie to fancy rims and tires but would really like to get them done. Is it really as unsafe as they claim??? I don't have air pumps at home and nowhere near mechanically inclined doing it myself is out of the question.

So I tried to get 3 local tire shops to install them for me, and they all refuse citing liability issues and lack of understanding how they affect the interface between the rim and the "bead" of tire. I am a newbie to fancy rims and tires but would really like to get them done. Is it really as unsafe as they claim??? I don't have air pumps at home and nowhere near mechanically inclined doing it myself is out of the question.

I don't see how the Alloy Gator clips are any different than the clips they use to hold balancing weights to the outside of the wheel.

lead_weight.jpg

Sam...Might ask Nick at the SC for suggestions. They may not be able to put them on but they may know somebody who has done it for other Model S owners. If that is no help, usually a smaller 'repair shop' versus some of the big box outfits are more likely not to use the 'lawyers won't let us' statement.

Yep - going to try to get the guy that I found to polish away my curb rash to do it! Will update you on how it goes. Maybe even before and after pix.

Sam...Might ask Nick at the SC for suggestions. They may not be able to put them on but they may know somebody who has done it for other Model S owners. If that is no help, usually a smaller 'repair shop' versus some of the big box outfits are more likely not to use the 'lawyers won't let us' statement.

Yep - going to try to get the guy that I found to polish away my curb rash to do it! Will update you on how it goes. Maybe even before and after pix.

Well, ended up using the same place I found to polish up and repaint the damage on the curbed rims to install the AlloyGators. This was their first time seeing the gators so it was a bit of a long process. Got to see my MS without its wheels on, which was both cool and scary at the same time.

I think the install of the gators went pretty well, except some fitment issue one one of the back wheels where the plastic cover piece is a bit protruding because there was no way to mallet in the thing in further without risking damage to the rim or breaking the plastic. I guess it will do...

Here are some pictures of the process and the results (the fixed rims which ended up having the best installed gators):

image_1.jpeg

image_2.jpeg

image.jpeg

image_3.jpeg

image_4.jpeg

image_5.jpeg

I just installed these on an MS for the first time. Took 3 hours, I think I could do it in 2 next time!
null_zps82a7481a.jpg

null_zps255cc021.jpg

null_zps64c9eb83.jpg

They looked good! Barely could tell from 5 feet away they were on the car! And from my own experience working on over 140 Model S cars almost everyone with 21's curbs them with in a couple months so this really is a great ideal!

I just installed these on an MS for the first time. Took 3 hours, I think I could do it in 2 next time!
null_zps82a7481a.jpg

null_zps255cc021.jpg

null_zps64c9eb83.jpg

They looked good! Barely could tell from 5 feet away they were on the car! And from my own experience working on over 140 Model S cars almost everyone with 21's curbs them with in a couple months so this really is a great ideal!

Well done, Joe. Nice added service you can offer to Model S owners who already are there for OptiCoat. Still glad I stuck with the 19's.

There is a caveat that you should be aware of if you purchase the AlloyGators. While the service center was investigating my inside shoulder wear, they removed my AlloyGators when changing the tires. When the did so, they observed that the wheel clear coat and, in some spots, wheel paint beneath the AlloyGators was significantly damaged/worn down. They suspect that road dirt had made its way between the wheel and the AlloyGator which then gets slowly ground against the paint. It wasn't down to the bare wheel metal yet after 10,000 miles of using AlloyGators, but it was something they recommended I be careful with.

That said, they've saved my wheels at least 2 times from more severe damage... so, guess it's your choice. :)

Something to be aware of...

There is a caveat that you should be aware of if you purchase the AlloyGators. While the service center was investigating my inside shoulder wear, they removed my AlloyGators when changing the tires. When the did so, they observed that the wheel clear coat and, in some spots, wheel paint beneath the AlloyGators was significantly damaged/worn down. They suspect that road dirt had made its way between the wheel and the AlloyGator which then gets slowly ground against the paint. It wasn't down to the bare wheel metal yet after 10,000 miles of using AlloyGators, but it was something they recommended I be careful with.

That said, they've saved my wheels at least 2 times from more severe damage... so, guess it's your choice. :)

Something to be aware of...

I put a set on my 21" in a couple of afternoon hours. They are a bit fiddly the first time but not too bad if you have a decent jack, air compressor, and a heavy plastic coated or rubber hammer. PVC pipe cutters make trimming easy and clean. It is a set of 5 so you get a spare.

Within a week I had a puncture in a rear PS2 and had to dismount a tire. I suspect it is possible to save/reinstall one of these when putting on a new tire if you are very careful and have a cooperative shop. Mine was a bit scuffed by the time it came free so I just installed the spare alloy gator. At the rate the P+ goes through tires (10K-12K maybe), I might have to order another set before too long.

Flasher's point about rim wear from dirt that can get underneath with these looks to be quite a good point from my observation of the one I pulled off. It was only on for 2k miles. But they are very tough and look to be able to take a lot of damage. Sort of a pick your poison thing - these to avoid curb rash or nothing and pay a wheel refinisher if you have a momentary lapse.

When I change rear tires again in 6-8 months, I will get an opportunity to check and decide whether to replace them or go commando.

The local SC has a lot of experience with fixing rashed 21's with the local rim refinishers, so I'll have to ask them about costs - the ones I have seen refinished are very hard to detect where the rash was.