Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alloy Gators Rim Protection (Pics and info)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going through the same learning experience - I also know that no matter how careful I am, I will eventually scuff the alloys (either because I haven't noticed a curb or because the car-park exit is too tight or some such thing) ... so I am looking at Alloygators too.

I'm glad artsci posted his experience (I know from reading the forums he's been living with his Model S for a while and looked at lots of things) ... I might go with rim blades to start with (they appear to be more easily mounted and have less potential to damage the alloy via abrasion ... but they seem to offer less protection) and then consider a switch to Alloygators if they turn out to be duds.

If you go with Alloygators then let us know how they work out for you.

I've been using the rim blades for a while and really liking them. I've installed them a few times as I traded in my car (two sets) and I have them on winter wheels too. When I had the TPMS replaced on the winters the garage managed to ruin the rimblades in the process so I had to install them again. Also I've had them damaged from a couple of kerbs and replaced them accordingly. I bought an extra kit (kit does 4 wheels) so I can replace individual wheels if I need to. I have found if I hit something hard enough it is still possible to damage the wheels but they have definitely saved me a couple of times. On my winters, I just replaced the rimblades on one wheel which hid the damage anyway. I'll eventually fix it but for now the wheels still look great. As I've never tried the alloygators I can't say if they offer more protection in harder impacts or not. I"m interested to hear comparisons.

I've had the Alloygators since January 2014 -- a pack comes with 5 of them and I just replaced one of the four with the fifth after I "touched" a curb...real easy to do with these cars...and the gator took the gash, not the rim.

Took me maybe 30 minutes to replace it (I put them on myself two years back). Just jacked the car up, deflated the tire, pulled out the old one and installed the new one. So much less hassle than having the whole wheel refurbished, not to mention less costly. The wheel looked fine, no paint damage. Mine have stayed perfectly in place over the two years and actually make the wheels look better from a distance...a bit more wheel and less tire (silver wheels and silver gators).

Definitely happy with mine. I'll have to order another set of 5 if I gash another one....

I've had my gators for about 3 months now. About 2 weeks ago I hit a big pothole and it was a big enough hit that it actually pushed out the gator slightly.

03eb6f796317cb6236d5e23c1e3d5e3a.jpg

So this past weekend I had to take the wheel off, deflate the tire and adjust it back in.

Upon inspecting all the other wheels I found gravel in between the gators and the wheels.

a31d04e24fcf23fcafedfb3e3e0b47e8.jpg

I went in and cleaned all the gravel out as much as I can with compressed air and a plastic spatula. Being careful not to cause any damage without removing them. But it has me a little worried.

I still think the gators are worth it. My wife steals the car for her commute all the time and the gators have protected the rims multiple times already. Also last time she was at the service center they put a couple of nicks in them.

I would much rather deal with a little gravel over large gouges being taken off the rims. I also only have to worry about fixing the wheels when I turn it in at the end of the lease rather than after every single damage.

A cautionary tale: I've had Alloygators on the BGC for over three years now, and they have saved me a time or two. But apparently at some point one of them had taken enough abuse. This morning on the freeway, I suddenly heard a very loud sound just like a machine gun. After a few seconds it got a little better, but still really bad. I pulled off (and the banging slowed as the car did, so I knew it was something about my car) and found that there was about 16 inches of gator left, half in the wheel, the other half just hanging out. Looking back, I could see the rest of the gator at the side of the freeway a way back. The machine gun noise was the hanging out bit banging on the rear bumper and rear fender wheel well. I wasn't in a safe place on the freeway, so after trying, and failing, to remove what was left I was forced to drive further. The damage to the fender is actually pretty severe. I will almost certainly have to claim insurance to get it fixed. So keep an eye on those Alloygators; if they look at all damaged, replace them or just take them off. Now that the reversing camera has lines, I haven't done much curb rash any more, so maybe I won't replace it. The recent damage was a tight turn near a curb, not parking.

• Informative
Reactions: 3s-a-charm
Does anyone have pics of a Red Model S with red Alloy Gators?

I saw user 'Alpha' had ordered them (page 2 of comments) but his/her account is deleted now. My red Model S arrives next month (refreshed 70) and I can't decide if the red Gators would look amazing or terrible on a red car.

Does anyone have pics of a Red Model S with red Alloy Gators?

I saw user 'Alpha' had ordered them (page 2 of comments) but his/her account is deleted now. My red Model S arrives next month (refreshed 70) and I can't decide if the red Gators would look amazing or terrible on a red car.

This red Audi with red alloy gators is as close as I can find on google, http://www.awsmartrepairs.co.uk/_wp_generated/wp57c8f597_05_06.jpg

Would appreciate any Model S pics still.