Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alloy & Wheel insurance policy recommendations

asherwood

Nov 21, 2019
UK
Hi

Has anyone ever had any experience with alloy & wheel style insurance policies?

If so, can you recommend a company based on an ease of claim experience. (I'm ideally looking for one that would allow myself to choose the place that the alloys are repaired)

Thanks
Scott

DrBobM

Oct 27, 2016
Swansea, UK
Is it really worth getting this? Generally insuring fairly inevitable events (has anyone ever owned a Tesla and not kerbed at least one wheel??) isn't cost effective. The insurers wouldn't do it otherwise.

Reactions: timpharrison

Jeeves

Feb 12, 2020
UK
I didn’t make a concerted effort to find this type of insurance, but my first attempts at searching after getting the car last year turned up companies that had stopped offering it.

Recently, I sustained a buckle and extensive scuffing on two of my alloys after hitting an unavoidable, deep pothole. A new 20” for my M3P was £680 incl VAT from Tesla (fitted was £800+ at SC). I got them both repaired and the paint touched up for £96 all in. I had to search quite hard for a company that would take on that type of repair, but the results are fantastic: they look like new again.

Roy W.

Battery running low...
Jun 3, 2019
Derby, UK
Have you ever claimed on them Roy? If so, was it a simple process and could you use your own repairer?
Hi Scott, yes, I've claimed twice. The Model 3 alloys do seem very susceptible to kerbing! They use local companies for the repair if you have one, but a mobile operator if you don't. For my first repair I chose a local company in Derby that I had used several years ago, but in the end they didn't seem interested, very poor communications. I went back to Tidy Alloys and within a few hours they had arranged another local company to do it the following day.

Both times I've had the repairs completed within about a week of doing the damage. No problems, and very efficient service. No paperwork at all, just a quick phone call to claim.

When I took out the insurance I had to send them photos of all four wheels to prove they were pristine, and when you claim you have to send a photo of the damage. With two repairs now done, I've easily recovered the £129 I spent on the policy. I also took out ding insurance with Tidy Alloys, but thankfully I've not had need to use that yet.

Reactions: DrBobM

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC