Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alloy wheel insurance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone any experience?

M3P 20” wheels looking fairly vulnerable and the potholes where I live are atrocious, add in a £2,000 insurance excess, suddenly circa £150 for 3 years alloy protection looks quite tempting...

Just wondering if the policies are a nightmare to claim on... ?

Check the policies, a lot have a max payout of £150-£200 per claim, that would easily cover a refurb or a repair maybe, but not a replacement if a wheel is badly damaged. Not sure how I’d feel about driving around on repaired wheels.

Check the policies, a lot have a max payout of £150-£200 per claim, that would easily cover a refurb or a repair maybe, but not a replacement if a wheel is badly damaged. Not sure how I’d feel about driving around on repaired wheels.
I done it for years with my BMW, chocolate alloys. At one point I had a wheel welded in 3 different places, guy refused to fix it again. Must have had 2-3 repaired wheels on the car at any time. Couldn’t afford £500 every time the car just looked at a pothole. The repairs were £70 a time. If its done right then theres nothing to worry about! I would want a replacement however if I had paid for insurance.

I have taken it out, and need to claim on for a regular, minor kerb damage, only £110 (18" , I think slightly more for 20s)

MAx £100 per claim up to £1000 for 3 years so 2 refurbs in 3 years paid for itself, obviously for £110 I would be expecting replacement.

Once I've claimed In next week I'll update.

Moderator comment - posts merged from "Alloy & Wheel insurance policy recommendations"

Hi

Has anyone ever had any experience with alloy & wheel style insurance policies?

If so, can you recommend a company based on an ease of claim experience. (I'm ideally looking for one that would allow myself to choose the place that the alloys are repaired)

Thanks
Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn’t make a concerted effort to find this type of insurance, but my first attempts at searching after getting the car last year turned up companies that had stopped offering it.

Recently, I sustained a buckle and extensive scuffing on two of my alloys after hitting an unavoidable, deep pothole. A new 20” for my M3P was £680 incl VAT from Tesla (fitted was £800+ at SC). I got them both repaired and the paint touched up for £96 all in. I had to search quite hard for a company that would take on that type of repair, but the results are fantastic: they look like new again.

Have you ever claimed on them Roy? If so, was it a simple process and could you use your own repairer?
Hi Scott, yes, I've claimed twice. The Model 3 alloys do seem very susceptible to kerbing! They use local companies for the repair if you have one, but a mobile operator if you don't. For my first repair I chose a local company in Derby that I had used several years ago, but in the end they didn't seem interested, very poor communications. I went back to Tidy Alloys and within a few hours they had arranged another local company to do it the following day.

Both times I've had the repairs completed within about a week of doing the damage. No problems, and very efficient service. No paperwork at all, just a quick phone call to claim.

When I took out the insurance I had to send them photos of all four wheels to prove they were pristine, and when you claim you have to send a photo of the damage. With two repairs now done, I've easily recovered the £129 I spent on the policy. I also took out ding insurance with Tidy Alloys, but thankfully I've not had need to use that yet.

Reactions: craigp and DrBobM
Anyone thought about Alloy protectors?
Gatoralloys etc. Bit pricey at £150 fitted albeit probably cheaper than getting the alloys redone - ive never herbed before but then normally the rubber protects - something we will not have the luxury of

I believe the Turbines are easy to mark due to the protrusion
I’m looking into tyre and wheel insurance as I’ve seen a few USA performance Uber turbines with some major scrapes!!! Has anyone sorted this out already?

I’m looking into tyre and wheel insurance as I’ve seen a few USA performance Uber turbines with some major scrapes!!! Has anyone sorted this out already?
Not tyre but alloy insurance taken out through Motoreasy along with Gap insurance. Set up a couple of weeks back before I picked up the car just over a week ago at the end of May. 3 years cover with up to 12 claims during that time (each claim being 1 alloy repair) - as I recall that was just over £200 I think.