TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Alloygators - Worth it?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by mbhforum, Jul 13, 2018.

1. mbhforum

mbhforum Member

In a few weeks, I will be getting my rims dipped with Autoflex and have thought about protecting them with Alloygators. I inquired about the prices and they have went up since a friend bought them. They now want $189 for the set, plus $38 for each tire for it to be installed. That is $375 after tax! Then...if you damage one via curb rash, you are out another $95 (one install and purchase of one alloygator). If you get curb rash on your naked rims, you probably would spend $100-150 to fix, but avoid the initial up front cost of $375. Unless you are looking to buy them for aesthetics, is there some benefit here I am missing????

2. DrComputer

DrComputer Active Member

They are a waste. I had purchased them for my 21" wheels on my Model S. They causing nothing but balance issues, creaked when driving slowly and didn't stay flush with the tires. The service center refused to balance the tires or re-install them when I needed to replace the tires so I just threw them away.

• Love x 1
  3. Astraviel

Astraviel Member

Not worth it unless you have expensive forged rims. Even then they look pretty bad up close.

4. sidmini

sidmini Banned

I have seen some horror stories on these where the whole wheel well gets scraped when the alloygator comes off! Cheaper to just refurb them rather than a 2k bill!

5. Tes La Ferrari

The ugliness factor, the wheel balancing issues outweigh any possible benefit. Better to invest the money in better parking training if needed, and or refurbishment if required.

6. navinsiri

navinsiri Member

A little piece of rubber isn’t going to stop a 2.5 ton car from damaging the wheel. It can also cause more damage if part of the alloygator comes lose from the wheel and starts whipping the paint as your drive

• Like x 1
  7. snd92

snd92 Member

My thought on Alloygators and similar rim protectors: Why would anyone advertise their bad driving skills? :p

8. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

Don't get them. I had one come partially off while driving on the freeway. "BANG bang bang bang ...". It did serious damage to the paintwork.

9. Russell

Russell Supporting Member

Seriously, to protect the rims from curb rash, just put wider tires on your car.