Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alloys (disappointed)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Re-visiting the showroom today for another look I noticed a couple of 'performance' cars in the car park and all the alloys were badly scuffed; the tyre on that alloy slopes in leaving the alloy 'proud' with zero chance of escaping damage from and slight encounter.

I asked to see the 19” alloy upgrade on the SR/LR (to see if they looked prone to scuffing) - I initially refused to accept that the alloys I was looking at were the same as those being sold (that I could see on the web site) – they looked sooooooooooo ordinary.

If I go through with my order I will have to get those wheels replaced with some decent looking alloys - I wonder if any alloy sellers/supplier would take the Tesla wheels in part-ex?

Attachments

• 19inch.jpg
    19inch.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 101
Re-visiting the showroom today for another look I noticed a couple of 'performance' cars in the car park and all the alloys were badly scuffed; the tyre on that alloy slopes in leaving the alloy 'proud' with zero chance of escaping damage from and slight encounter.

I asked to see the 19” alloy upgrade on the SR/LR (to see if they looked prone to scuffing) - I initially refused to accept that the alloys I was looking at were the same as those being sold (that I could see on the web site) – they looked sooooooooooo ordinary.

If I go through with my order I will have to get those wheels replaced with some decent looking alloys - I wonder if any alloy sellers/supplier would take the Tesla wheels in part-ex?

Best of luck. Resort to eBay inevitable.

The 19 Inch Alloys are much better with a decent amount of tyre before you risk damaging the Alloys but people still manage to do so.

Yes the 19's are quite ugly, have them powder coated in black, it would look much better

Reactions: Beatjammer

Go with the stock wheels (18” & save money or 19” & swap over the tyres) & fit winter tyres then get yourself some alloys you like,

looks like 245s are now official spec, which would help a little bit

but generally 20"s on any car are going to need a bit of looking after especially when they're dark grey.

For me, to my eye, the choice of alloys is not good and will drive me nuts.

I’ve just changed the spec on the M3 order from the 19” upgrade wheels (-£1,500) back to the standard 18” wheels.

Current plan A is to drive up to Manchester (below) and get a ‘nice’ set fitted, wheels and tyres all in for about £1,500 and put the Tesla 18” wheels on ebay for £250/300 each. A crazy idea?

Current plan A is to drive up to Manchester (below) and get a ‘nice’ set fitted, wheels and tyres all in for about £1,500 and put the Tesla 18” wheels on ebay for £250/300 each. A crazy idea?
Certainly not crazy if you get the wheels you like for a price that will work out cheaper than the price Tesla are asking for the 19" upgrade. Just make sure the TPMS sensors are transferred over and work. correctly. Declare the modification to your insurance company.

You could always keep the 18" wheels, sell the tyres and buy some winter ones.

I've only recently swapped all 4 tyres on performance model - decided to go with non- acoustic version of the P4S and it gives a considerable rim protector in comparison to the originals.
I've been fortunate not to kerb the 20" rims ( touch wood it will continue) in the just under 38,000 miles the last tyres completed.

Reactions: M3noob
I've only recently swapped all 4 tyres on performance model - decided to go with non- acoustic version of the P4S and it gives a considerable rim protector in comparison to the originals.
I've been fortunate not to kerb the 20" rims ( touch wood it will continue) in the just under 38,000 miles the last tyres completed.
38k - that’s excellent!

Reactions: 94jdh
did you move to something wider than the original 235s?

That's an amazing achievement on a Tesla!

Reactions: 94jdh
Why would you upgrade the wheels then replace them? Depending on how far north you live buy a second set of third party wheels for 'summers' and keep the 18" for winters.

Personally I prefer my 18" with the hub kit to the 19" anyway

View attachment 730721
Agreed! Exactly what I did. £50.00 for 4 hub covers.
A side bonus... because the brakes get so little use the front wheels stay clean of brake dust!!