Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alloys (disappointed)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So can someone explain tyres to me a little bit here… are tyre widths dependent on the wheel? E.g 235 vs 245.
I’m thinking I will replace my 18” wheels in a couple years with some new rims, but I think I’d prefer wider tyres as well than the 235s it comes with.

So can someone explain tyres to me a little bit here… are tyre widths dependent on the wheel? E.g 235 vs 245.
I’m thinking I will replace my 18” wheels in a couple years with some new rims, but I think I’d prefer wider tyres as well than the 235s it comes with.
The 18" rims are 8.5" wide so the optimum tyre width is 235 or 245. If you put on 225 then the walls of the tyre looks stretched and 255 would look squashed in - anything outside of 225 to 255 would be unsafe.

If you change the width then you need to consider the profile of the tyre so you keep the circumference of the tyre consistent, otherwise your speedo will go too far out of calibration.

There are plenty of tyre size calculators on the web which will help.

The 18" rims are 8.5" wide so the optimum tyre width is 235 or 245. If you put on 225 then the walls of the tyre looks stretched and 255 would look squashed in - anything outside of 225 to 255 would be unsafe.

If you change the width then you need to consider the profile of the tyre so you keep the circumference of the tyre consistent, otherwise your speedo will go too far out of calibration.

There are plenty of tyre size calculators on the web which will help.
Presumably this will also alter the rolling resistance so range may be impacted negatively as the widths go up. I’ve no idea by how much.