Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Almost 15% range loss Model 3 Awd

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My car just started experiencing SOC issues as well. My max charge rate is now 270. My car has 16k miles 2019 M3AWD. My battery also doesnt charge as quickly as it used to. I used to get a steady 30 miles an hour with my Nema 14-50. I now get about 26/27. I contacted Tesla and they gave me some BS that my car is within fleet and its driving habits. I dont drive fast at all... And according to TeslaFi/StatsApp and I am nowhere within fleet. So Tesla is flat out lying to people. We will see what happens but I have been having a lot of problems with my model 3 lately. I am a hardcore Tesla fan boy but I am really started to get ticked off. I dont know how to handle the situation. All I know is that I am pissed. I was told degradation would be 2-3% a year. I now know that that is BS....

Reactions: SantaCruzOMB
My car just started experiencing SOC issues as well. My max charge rate is now 270. My car has 16k miles 2019 M3AWD. My battery also doesnt charge as quickly as it used to. I used to get a steady 30 miles an hour with my Nema 14-50. I now get about 26/27. I contacted Tesla and they gave me some BS that my car is within fleet and its driving habits. I dont drive fast at all... And according to TeslaFi/StatsApp and I am nowhere within fleet. So Tesla is flat out lying to people. We will see what happens but I have been having a lot of problems with my model 3 lately. I am a hardcore Tesla fan boy but I am really started to get ticked off. I dont know how to handle the situation. All I know is that I am pissed. I was told degradation would be 2-3% a year. I now know that that is BS....

The warranty has an explicit coverage of degradation and it allows a 30% capacity loss over ten years. Until you exceed 30% you’re going to get the same answer unless there’s some sort of system fault or warning.

When you get to 215 miles at 100% charge you’re ready for a warranty claim.

The warranty has an explicit coverage of degradation and it allows a 30% capacity loss over ten years. Until you exceed 30% you’re going to get the same answer unless there’s some sort of system fault or warning.

When you get to 215 miles at 100% charge you’re ready for a warranty claim.

I know that. But lets face it. We were all lied to about degradation. No one said it would be this quick. I am most likely cancelling my wifes Model Y order.

Is it degrading or just the system trying to give an estimate of how much you will get depending on your driving habits? In get like 260 At 90 percent 2019 m3p with about 14000 miles

There are years and thousands of data points of degradation data for all models of Teslas. Some have more, some have less. Newer cars have a degradation clause in the warranty, although the way it is worded makes me think it will be hard to get a warranty claim.

Your degradation appears excessive. it may be it will level off with time and approach the fleet average.

To find out your actual capacity and track it, get a CAN bus reader and App like Scan My Tesla. The Rated Range function is subject to errors and uses the full capacity, not the usable capacity of the pack, to calculate the range. The App reports the actual Nominal pack capacity as generated by the car's BMS.

I thought my “degradation” was bad. Sheesh. How low are you guys getting before charging? Personally I have noticed an improvement in reported capacity by only charging to 80% and driving down to 40% ish.

A lot has been posted about cycling the battery from near 100 to near zero to rebalance the cells and improve the BMS calibration.

I think it is very questionable if this extreme measure actually works. I believe the BMS is calibrating all the time during normal usage.

I have an older car that I store at 55-62% for months, several times in the last few years. When I charge to as low as 78%, and drive down as high as 30%, both RR and nominal capacity come right back up.

See signature for latest stats.

Full disclosure, BMS says currently 75.5 KwH, RR 257, have not driven in a while.

I thought my “degradation” was bad. Sheesh. How low are you guys getting before charging? Personally I have noticed an improvement in reported capacity by only charging to 80% and driving down to 40% ish.

I have tried everything in terms of tweaking my charging. 70% 80% and most recently 90%... Nothing is working. My battery is just crapping itself quicker than most...

I know that. But lets face it. We were all lied to about degradation. No one said it would be this quick. I am most likely cancelling my wifes Model Y order.

Mmkay good luck with whatever direction you go. Model 3 trade in values are very strong so you should be able to get out of the car at minimal loss.

My degradation is ~6% @45,000 miles so I’m seemingly unaffected. My Leaf lost 40% capacity in the same number of miles.

Mmkay good luck with whatever direction you go. Model 3 trade in values are very strong so you should be able to get out of the car at minimal loss.

My degradation is ~6% @45,000 miles so I’m seemingly unaffected. My Leaf lost 40% capacity in the same number of miles.
I have tried everything in terms of tweaking my charging. 70% 80% and most recently 90%... Nothing is working. My battery is just crapping itself quicker than most...
Before the “great shuttering” TeslaFi reported ~300 miles RR. It steadily dropped (causing mild panic) and then started going up to the now 295 miles RR. At this point I kind of don’t worry about it.
00BB5690-DF60-49D2-BC52-9CAF565E9015.png

Is it degrading or just the system trying to give an estimate of how much you will get depending on your driving habits? In get like 260 At 90 percent 2019 m3p with about 14000 miles

No there is no estimate it is actual energy loss. Well verified. Measure how long it takes to charge a car under carefully timed and calibrated conditions, it's not an estimate.

Good news it is doesn't matter ALL that much since on a road trip you basically never use the full range except for the first leg. And as long as the charge rate is preserved (a much bigger "if"), it really doesn't mater.

I drove from San Diego to Portland yesterday (1076 miles) in my Model 3, with a battery showing 287 rated miles (this is a 10% range loss from brand new, not 6-7%). With V3 Superchargers as long as you can still charge at 250kW (my car can), it doesn't matter since it just means it fills faster.

Most stops you stop charging at 180-220 miles.

Of course this is in California, the land of plentiful Superchargers. Obviously having excellent V3 Supercharger coverage is a key issue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.