Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Almost $500 to mount/balance tires and align?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently paid $78 to have four tires (which I'd bought at Tire Rack and had delivered to my house) mounted and balanced, and I had them do a quick check on the alignment, which they said was good. My tires (Michelins) generally last 40-50 thousand miles. We have good roads in Napa Valley, so little chance tires would need alignment just driving on smooth roads. I use a local tire shop for the work, and they don't care where I get my tires.

I don't understand why Tesla owners continue to go to Tesla ServiceCenters for tire purchase/mounting/balancing.

DiscountTire is quicker, cheaper, assuming you go to one with good staff. Their nationwide network is solid, based on my experiences in Denver, Fort Worth, and rural Virginia.
I am in Fort Worth too and agree that Discount Tire is a good purchase/mounting/balance choice. I think the original poster was more concerned with the alignment issue, and at least in my local area Discount Tire does not provide that service.

That is the problem. I have yet to find a good local tire shop I can trust to do a good job.
Sorry about that. I'm lucky to have a "speed shop", Texas Track Works, that races on the weekends (ICE vehicles), but are extremely attentive to their customers' vehicles. They mounted my MPP coilovers for $695, and the alignment was $149. (Although my MYLP tracks perfectly straight, I'll be visiting them soon, since I just replaced my OEM tires at 30k miles)

Have you joined a local Tesla club? Surely there's someone other than Tesla (which hasn't overall been very consistent, nationwide, to service) that can help you out. I think Tesla has Tesla-specific issues that they need to concentrate on, while not getting bogged down with tire/wheel issues. (Maybe this is why they're quoting such a high price?)

Good luck in your search.

Reactions: Bobbo8
Just had mine done at a local shop in Riverside(no local groups recommended anything when i asked), was 200. Attached my b4 and after

Attachments

• IMG20220825141541.jpg
    IMG20220825141541.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 95
I live in Miami and here there are very few shops that will align a Model X. I called many places and they would tell me to bring the car in only to tell me that they would not do it once I was there.

I ended up having to take it to Tesla and they charged me $266 for the 4 wheel alignment. They did provide a loaner.

Here is a good ? My test was set to Ballasted, (as i have seen others do). From some reading(some on tesla service site), Ballasted means with certain weight in car to simulate people etc....They did my car without anyone in car...so should it have been set to "Unballasted" rather than "Ballasted" on the Hunter machine?

They used ballast in mine and also did a software calibration per the procedure in the shop manual related to AP. This mirrors what I saw in the shop manual online, so I don't think they are giving me a load of crap. Unfortunately, none of the local shops I asked could do the 2nd part, so I wound up just dealing with it and had the SC do the work.

Yea it’s almost criminal i scheduled thru the tesla app just to see what it would be and was quoted 275$ for an alignment canceled it in record time

Went to a firestone and they charged me 105$ for alignment

Took a roadtrip to arizona from el paso and everything was dandy no issues

Highly recommend to call around
I had a firestone straight up tell o no we don’t do teslas

Then a firestone closer to me say o yea bring it in we have done plenty of teslas

A pepboys tell me they didn’t have the weights so couldn’t do it

275$ For an alignment on a non air suspension(if that even matters) car is absurd