Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Almost $500 to mount/balance tires and align?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got an estimate via the app for mounting/balancing 4 tires and an alignment. Is Tesla really serious about these prices? Anyone else in the Northern Virginia area have recommendations of other installers and alignment shops who work on Teslas?

The biggest issue I have is the $275 for the alignment - that just seems abnormally high. I wasn't paying that much for my BMW x5 alignment at the dealer.

There is some sort of software calibration that is supposed to be done after an alignment according to my SC. I know because they forgot to do it when I brought my M3 back in for a poor alignment job. Performing this didn’t fix the pulling in my case.

There is some sort of software calibration that is supposed to be done after an alignment according to my SC. I know because they forgot to do it when I brought my M3 back in for a poor alignment job. Performing this didn’t fix the pulling in my case.
Given that alignment is a physical function with no interaction with the car software, this seems like a highly questionable statement.

Reactions: Pianewman
Never take your car to Tesla unless you have no other options! There is nothing special about the Tesla suspension, take it to places that do this work day-in and day-out

Tire Rotation at Discount Tire: $0, Balancing $10/tire
Alignment at Pep Boys: $89

And each took just one-hour instead of all day.

Last edited:
The service documentation for doing an alignment on a Tesla shows adjusting things in the software...

A link / copy off the service info would be handy.

Based on reading the service manual and doing some digging, the Tesla Toolbox step doesn't appear to be anything mandatory, and driving the car without Autopilot / FSD enabled for 30 miles will allow the car to recalibrate itself.

YMMV / IANAL / I am not a mechanic but that's what I gleaned...

(here are the steps from the service manual)
  • Connect a laptop with Toolbox 3 to the vehicle.
  • In Toolbox, click Actions, type "angle" in the search field, click Play to the left of "PROC_EPAS_ESP_CLEAR-ANGLE-OFFSETS", and then select RUN.
  • Click Actions, type "angle" in the search field, click Play to the left of "TEST_EPAS3P_X_CHECK-APPLIED-ANGLE-OFFSET", and then select RUN.

I don't understand why Tesla owners continue to go to Tesla ServiceCenters for tire purchase/mounting/balancing.

DiscountTire is quicker, cheaper, assuming you go to one with good staff. Their nationwide network is solid, based on my experiences in Denver, Fort Worth, and rural Virginia.
That is the problem. I have yet to find a good local tire shop I can trust to do a good job.

Reactions: 101dals