Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Almost a year with M3LR and bam, 5 car collision. Total cost to repair? Please tell me it’s not totaled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hit a trailer hitch and in a 5 car collision. The left bumper frame extension needs to be replaced, fog lights have scratches on corners. Hood needs to be replaced (bent). Frunk is bent in. The remaining inside? Wiring looks fine, but no idea of anything else. Any estimates on cost of repairs? Thanks!
042E0AA8-A562-401F-AC36-F0189221CDC3.jpeg
9F99CD1D-3382-4E30-B109-7D92990054E9.jpeg
1D90A2A8-CF20-4003-9B5C-BA9D8CD9FE3E.jpeg

Attachments

• EC98BE02-1590-4144-9604-BDCA65C5B13B.jpeg
    EC98BE02-1590-4144-9604-BDCA65C5B13B.jpeg
    431.6 KB · Views: 139
Personally, I don’t think this will be considered totaled. Sometimes though insurers do total lightly damaged cars due to other reasons (parts shortage and time for parts delivery etc.) really depends on the claims adjuster I would say. I would think this does not justify total though (assuming no battery damage etc.) that’s just what I think though!

Upvote 0
18 months ago someone backed into my M3 with a large SUV. I think my damage was a bit more expensive to fix than yours. I went to a Tesla authorized collision center. They replace my frunk lid, the front bumper and crash cans behind it, both headlight assemblies and both front quarter panels. It's hard to say for sure but your right front quarter panel and the right headlight assembly look ok. My repairs came to $9200. Your looks less expensive to fix, so definitely not totaled.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Upvote 0
I had similar damage when we bonked a tree at about 8 mph, dead center.

Not totaled.
My repair included bumper, hood, 1 headlight, plus the radiator.
Coolant leaked and caused overheating on a ECU. That needed replacement exacerbating the damage.

That repair was $21k, 2 months total in a certified non-Tesla collision firm. The work was excellent. Headlight was the most expensive part at $1,150.

I see less damage here (no coolant leak). But you have the quarter panel.
I'm guessing repairable at about $17k high end

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0
Looks very similar to an accident I had: replaced hood, front bumber, left fog light, frunk tub, and various brackets. I actually zip tied the damaged bumper to the wheel well and kept driving it for a couple of weeks while the body shop was waiting for parts to arrive (this was also during the height of supply chain shortages). Once it went to the shop, it was there for 4 days. Total cost was $11k.

• Informative
Upvote 0
Hit a trailer hitch and in a 5 car collision. The left bumper frame extension needs to be replaced, fog lights have scratches on corners. Hood needs to be replaced (bent). Frunk is bent in. The remaining inside? Wiring looks fine, but no idea of anything else. Any estimates on cost of repairs? Thanks!View attachment 918758View attachment 918759View attachment 918760
Regardless of cost they DO NOT stock alot of the parts so be prepared for a long wait. The only part they seem to have are tires

Upvote 0