TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Almost all the lights

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by beatle, Nov 2, 2019.

1. beatle

beatle Member

I blindly bought 4 LEDs from Abstract Ocean to upgrade the hatch and frunk lights in my car. When I went to replace the hatch lights I discovered I only have the single light in the hatch itself. There are no lights at the base/fixed portion of the hatch. However, there are two embossed portions of the carpet where the lights would be if they were installed from the factory. I'm guessing the PO did not order whatever package was necessary for them.

Being that Tesla has changed the names and content of the feature packages as well as the base features of the cars over the years, I'm not sure what other lights I should have. I can say I do have exterior door handle lights, cornering lights, and puddle lights, as well as a powered liftgate which I thought would not have come without the two fixed hatch lights.

My plan is to simply pop out the two carpet plugs and install lights there anyway as per this video, but I'm curious why my car did not have these already.

2. MikeBur

MikeBur ManualPilot

Just year of car and lack of “premium lighting”. It was a separate package, so I’m guessing pre early 15. The wiring connect will be on inside of where you punch the carpet out in existing holes.

3. beatle

beatle Member

Yes, it's a March 2015 delivery car.

What other lights am I missing?

4. MikeBur

MikeBur ManualPilot

“I wouldn’t say you’re missing lights”. Sorry, couldn’t resist ;)

If memory serves the only other was footwell lights under front seats, so rear seat passengers get to see their feet

At the time Tesla was experimenting with lots of options thought quickly consolidated to reduce the combinatorial nightmare

5. beatle

beatle Member

I actually have those rear footwell lights as well which I thought was odd.

6. beatle

beatle Member

Interesting. I found that I do not have the rear seat puddle lights after all. They were easy to add, just cut away the vinyl from the opening and plug in the nearby plug from the door harness after cutting away a bit of tape.

20191109_160520.jpg

The weird thing, however, is that I found what appears to be factory wiring for three lights. I know there is the red light towards the rear, and the white puddle light, but what's the third plug for?

20191110_085019.jpg

Attached Files:

7. BPeter

BPeter Member

The rear door has the interior ambient lighting under the armrest. There is also a red light on the door that allows cars coming from behind you to see that the door is open. And finally there is a white puddle light at the bottom of the door.

8. bmah

bmah Moderator, Model S/X, California Forums

I'm pretty sure Abstract Ocean has a guide on their Web site that shows the locations of all the various internal lights on the Model S (and X and 3 as well).

Bruce.

9. beatle

beatle Member

Ahh, armrest lights. I did some searching and finally found a video of what they look like. I also do not have the option to turn ambient lights on and off via the MCU. I can live without them.

Abstract Ocean shows the location of the lights that they provide replacements for. That doesn't include the armrest lights (or lights I'd be missing without the PUP.)

10. bmah

bmah Moderator, Model S/X, California Forums

I give you half of a point for that...AO's Web site doesn't mention the ambient lights (what you call "armrest lights"). But it's complete with respect to all the other "optional" lights that come with premium lighting. For cars of that vintage (mine is an April 2015 S85D), premium lighting gives the puddle lights under the rear doors, lights on either side of the trunk opening, footwell lights under the front seats (for the rear passengers), and the aforementioned ambient lights (what you call "armrest lights"). On my car, I DIY-ed the two trunk lights and the footwell lights, and I had a shop do the rear puddle lights. So that car now has all the lights in the premium lighting package, except for ambient lights.

Some people have somehow DIY-ed the ambient lights and they were able to talk their service center into pushing a configuration change that enabled the option in the MCU. I can tell you from experience that if you don't have that option on the MCU, the ambient lighting connectors behave like it's "on" (I know this because my car was wired incorrectly at the factory and one of the door-edge lights was wired to an ambient lighting connector).

Bruce.

11. beatle

beatle Member

Right, I think I already mentioned that. I originally thought non-PUP cars did not include puddle lights in the front, though I had them. I also have rear footwell lights which I don't think I should have had. It's interesting that the rear doors do not come with puddle lights as standard, but I guess a lot about these packages is confusing.