TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Almost CRACKED MY SCREEN

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by lloyds, Sep 25, 2014.

1. lloyds

lloyds Member

I was on the 101S and cruising at 70mph-75mph about 7:30am. I was scrolling through the media to find ABC News on the screen, so I took my eyes off the road for about a second at the most. From my vertical periphery, I noticed red lights everywhere! I looked up immediately and saw that all cars were coming to a near standstill and I all I heard were screeching tires. I slammed on my brakes and my full stainless steel Peets coffee mug flew forward and smacked the screen with an ear crunching pop. I was able to come to a full stop without incident, but my touchscreen was wet with coffee. In my mind at this time, I just thought to myself "f**k!" and was sure that the screen had cracked based on how hard my mug hit that screen. Wiped everything up to search for the extent of the damage and found the point of contact. It felt bad, but I couldn't see it with all the coffee stain. I took the next freeway exit, pulled over and at this time, I had a bad feeling in my gut as I grabbed a towel from the frunk to clean everything.

To my holy sh*t surprise, there was no crack or nick in the screen! The screen protector I had protected it! I was so relieved. Had I not had a screen protector on there I am sure that my mug would have damaged the screen - absolutely no doubt about that. I've complained to service before about the cupholders in the Tesla. They are too shallow and they should not have taken out the tabs inside. I have the premium center console and the cupholders in there are too big, so it seems Tesla, at least for the cupholders, are either too small or too big. The earlier MSs had tabs in the cupholders, but Tesla decided to take them out for whatever reason. I wish they could bring it back.

I recommend you guys look into getting a screen protection kit for the Tesla because I can see this happening again with these loose cupholders.

Attached Files:

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The upholders are designed for cans--anything else is a risk. And yes, I put a screen protector on shortly after deliver.

3. Tacket

Tacket Member

I bought a shorter and fatter coffee mug just for this reason. It's much more snug than the Tesla tumbler I had been using.

4. TylerCA

TylerCA Member

Looks like it was quite the save. Never thought about protection, but this makes me think twice.

5. tmyl21

tmyl21 Member

Where would one even get a screen protector for the MS? I haven't even seen it offered by Tesla or by like an Evannex aftermarket company? A quality product that an owner can recommend with experience using anyway...

6. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Abstract-ocean.com

7. jerry33

8. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

70 mph = 102 ft/sec. Judge rules 30 days of Screen Cleaning Mode for you!! :tongue:
    --

9. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

I think the bigger concern is...using the screen (even for a second) while doing over 70mph. You're lucky the most you had to worry about was damage to your screen and not other human beings. I'm usually not one to lecture because I'm a grownup and hate when people lecture me, but dude...

10. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Kudos for admitting publicly to distracted driving, and the nearly serious consequences thereof (nearly running into other cars, more so than potential screen damage). People need to be aware of this.

Personally, I don't use the browser while moving. My passenger is welcome to.

11. dflye

dflye S Sig Perf 414, VIN 814

I'm still shocked every time I get a loaner and it doesn't have the springy/grippy bits to keep various sizes of beverages from launching out of the cup "holder". I'd love to hear the reasoning they used on removing that feature.

12. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I may not have parking sensors, lane departure and speed assist, but dammit, I've got coffee cup cinchers! :tongue:

Sorry to hear of the near miss and glad it worked out okay.

13. TylerCA

TylerCA Member

Although the Tesla is technically my wifes car, I have driven the car in a spirited fashion on the curvies. This is where I am reminded everytime how poorly designed these holders are as any cans in there would rock back and forth resulting in spills. When I brake hard I always have to hold down my cup to make sure it doesnt go flying.. I have always wondered what would happen if I were to brake hard. Thank you for sharing lloyd.

14. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I will use items along the periphery I can get by touch without looking down: climate on off, seat heaters, and such. Anything more is a risk, IMO. I wish Tesla would expand the voice controls to cover pretty much anything I might want to do. I feel like that would help substantially.

15. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

16. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

tesla NEVER should have removed the cinchers. the cupholders are useless without them.

17. Zextraterrestrial

I thought some people complained about crappy coffee cups getting crushed by the tabs. ... don't drink crappy coffee in one-use crappy cups!

I like my tabs in my cup holder. my ceramic mug stays perfectly. the Tesla travel cups work great too

18. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Did you burn yourself with the coffee? If you did, you can probably sue... LOL!

19. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

well yea it's also a safety hazard. without the cinchers, any cups in there immediately become a projectile during a sudden deceleration. i'm sure somebody could sue Tesla based on that information alone.

20. jerry33

If you use styrofoam or similar cups, the clinchers will cut through them. I'd rather have a sign about not using styrofoam cups.