Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Almost every one of these 2023 MY LRs has matrix lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The performance is a much better deal IF u are okay with the firmer suspension, factory wheels and brake fitment issues of the performance model.
Yeah, I was debating all these potential downside but ended up with the LR with the 20". Didn't want to put my wife in the MYP as it'll be her daily driver. It is a good deal tho, especially with today's prices as the increase is not that much for what you do get.

Honestly, because of my tendency for curb rash and the potholes in the area, I’d be happier with the Gemini but I was going to switch out the wheels of the Uber turbine most likely to wheels that have been well tested by other Tesla drivers, so brake fitting shouldn’t be an issue. (Right? Please correct me if I’m wrong)

I test drove the performance model once in light rain at 50-60 mph going on the on/off ramps, lightly testing the cornering (for the weather condition) and I loved the lack of “body roll”

Is the new comfort suspension on the model y also on the MYP, too?

I found the needle in the haystack with the model Y LR with matrix, but it had much more expensive wheels that I don’t want to pay for. Sigh.
The new Performance suspension is also supposed to be more comfortable than the old one but of course will still be much much firmer than the suspension on the standard Y.

I live in a part of the country with lots of rough roads, segmented concrete pads, etc. A hard suspension just isn't as compatible to living here as it is to a place like SoCal or the east coast.

The wheels that fit the MYP brakes are pretty well known, I believe that all of the current MY wheels fit. I'm not a fan of how the turbine wheels look personally and there are very limited choices of tires for them, they are staggered, and the tires are really pricey.

i've read that the induction are not as bad with curb rash as the uberturbine.

I currently have deposits on the MYP and MYLR. The MYP delivery is thursday, and I previously rejected a VIN on this "order" when i tried to get a MYLR with matrix but failed. So this MYP is take it or leave it......

If the MYP is seriously deficient (body panels, etc), then I'll pass on it and go to the MYLR with the matrix but induction from fremont. I've already inspected that one and the panels (doors/glass roof/etc) look great.

It could be the advantage of the fremont vehicles.......they've been made for so long on the established line that they've had a chance to work out the kinks?

either way, i'll lose $250, but I consider it the cost of being indecisive and wanting to keep my options open.....

I have the 19 Gemini and the 20 Induction and I would judge them about the same in this regard. I have never driven a MYP with the 21s so can't offer a comparison.
What's the reason you had both set of wheels? Which one you worth getting for daily driver/comfort/all season tires or winter tires in midwest? I've been driving all season tires all my life without any issues. So I would hope to get only one set of wheels for the wife.

What's the reason you had both set of wheels? Which one you worth getting for daily driver/comfort/all season tires or winter tires in midwest? I've been driving all season tires all my life without any issues. So I would hope to get only one set of wheels for the wife.
It’s because we have 2 MYs. 😃

We have had one for 1.5 years and have only used the all seasons even in bad weather. But I live close to work and we can avoid travel on bad days. If I had a longer commute, I might consider dedicated winter tires.

I think our 2023 has comfort suspension, so even though it is the one with 20s I think the ride is slightly better.

Reactions: Happy Hippo
It’s because we have 2 MYs. 😃

We have had one for 1.5 years and have only used the all seasons even in bad weather. But I live close to work and we can avoid travel on bad days. If I had a longer commute, I might consider dedicated winter tires.

I think our 2023 has comfort suspension, so even though it is the one with 20s I think the ride is slightly better.
Nice! One last question, what about the gap between 19s vs 20s. Does one look better than the other? The reason I asked is if I were to get the 19s I would probably get a black wheel cover if this does not matter. Then I would get the 20s and call it a day. Since I likes the black wheels looks.

Nice! One last question, what about the gap between 19s vs 20s. Does one look better than the other? The reason I asked is if I were to get the 19s I would probably get a black wheel cover if this does not matter. Then I would get the 20s and call it a day. Since I likes the black wheels looks.
I have the 20s on a red MY and it looks amazing. I have not noticed whether the gap makes a difference. But I’m also the kind of person that uses automatic auto washes so I may not be the best judge. 😉

Reactions: wow1450
I have the 20s on a red MY and it looks amazing. I have not noticed whether the gap makes a difference. But I’m also the kind of person that uses automatic auto washes so I may not be the best judge. 😉
Haha as long as auto washes are touchless. I had bad experience with both of my cars with those foam brushes left some scratches and swirl marks badly. Thanks for the fast reply and probably a good decision for my wife MYLR and 20s wheels. Going to gamble and place an order this weekend or next weekend, so hopefully it pushes to 2023 :) rebate EV here I come!

Reactions: MYMY21
wow. My wife has the option of taking a 617 Vin too this month.

Can you please comment re/ whether you have USS, new cameras & suspension?
Unfortunately the lights are the only good news. No USS and based on pics I’ve seen, I believe I got the old cameras 😞

2878C214-2B90-4428-83D6-47F99F9810C3.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: X Fan
wow. My wife has the option of taking a 617 Vin too this month.

Can you please comment re/ whether you have USS, new cameras & suspension?

I know you’ve been asking across a lot of threads about the USS in the last few days, but no one has gotten them on a new production vehicle in over a month. (Based on my lurking of the forums.)

If they are important to you, consider a demo 2022 model. It may be your only hope.

For me, the matrix was the most important feature for me so I got a performance model just to guarantee it.

I know you’ve been asking across a lot of threads about the USS in the last few days, but no one has gotten them on a new production vehicle in over a month. (Based on my lurking of the forums.)

If they are important to you, consider a demo 2022 model. It may be your only hope.

For me, the matrix was the most important feature for me so I got a performance model just to guarantee it.
Likewise, has anyone ever gotten the new cameras? I don't even know what they look like...

Likewise, has anyone ever gotten the new cameras? I don't even know what they look like...
The new "design" is seen below. I'm going to say "design" as no one has confirmed there is any difference in the actual camera....in fact, people who have compared see no difference. Someone said the new ones got rid of a yellow cast to the view but I have the old design and don't have that yellow cast.

Yes some did report they got the new cameras but I never saw anyone post a photo confiming. I did see a few say they had the new ones but actually had the old ones. When I picked up my car on Oct 28th all the M3s had that new design but none of the 2022 or 2023s had them. That was the first week of 2023 builds.

I think the camera design has been blown way out of proportion. I wouldn't worry about what camera design you have. It certainly has nothing to do with bringing back Vision based Parking features as many cars have been confirmed with old design and no USS.

mdpdw3u8rkv91-2.jpg
8sxkmvt8rkv91-2.jpg

Nobody knows, except Tesla, if the cameras in the recently shipped 2023's are really 5K or not. The housing is different. Those with cars sporting the new housings with those concentric rings have reported no difference in what they see on the screen or in Sentry recordings. Hardware 4 is coming near the end of 2023, which is probably what the new radar is for, along with needed 5K operation. It has been mentioned that the Cyber Truck would be the first to be equipped with the HW4 computer board. That's probably what the 5K cameras will be working with, and after that, every model.

I've got those matrix lights in my car, which was delivered a little more than a week ago. They don't functions as matrix, of course, because they're not allowed to. When the NHTSA gives their permission, and if/when Tesla releases the ability to let them function, then we might see what they can do, other than the Holiday Light Show. Otherwise, they're just headlights for now. I just hope the things have the proper cabling attached to them so we won't need a hardware upgrade.

• Informative
Reactions: X Fan