Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Almost get into a collision under NoA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like NoA didn't know your lane would end in a merge. It should have changed lane much earlier not until the last second. Looks like it ran out of lane and just decided to merge. I am guessing following lane has greater priority than blind spot detection.

Not seeing the display puts us at a disadvantage for seeing what the car was thinking. Knowing where the red line turned on and if the car never could get the ability to merge or if the overtaking car was at a high rate of speed and blocked the car from merging at the last minute would be what I wold look at.
And "almost got in a collision" may not be quite correct, as there are some safety mechanisms that probably didn't engage because the distance was not close enough.

And yes, this is beta software and this is a prime example why you should always be paying close attention to the road and the car, especially in merging situations.

Reactions: richyrich
NoA hasn’t learned that other drivers are jerks. He should have saw you coming in and changed lanes, slowed down or speed up. You could have sped up or slowed as well.

That’s a pretty classic encounter that NoA will have to deal with. And you should know it’s no good at it. At least you know now.

Last edited:
On NoA to merge from DVP No to 401 E. Had to take over to avoid a potential collision. Is there a chance NoA that can get into the gap between Volvo and Toyota at 0:06? T gave a big finger after I manually moved in.
Since I drive that route every day I can honestly say the driver in the Corolla was being a classic a-hole.
They could have slowed down to let you in. Yes NoA seemed slow to merge but still, the Toyota wanted to box you out.

Reactions: turnem and pcons
+100000 this isn't NoA but a douchebag driver that should have slowed to let you in.

NoA does wait until the last minute for lane changes in an ending lane from my experience. I try and be extra vigilant when coming to a situation like that, and often when merging from one hwy to the next unless there is a lot of free space I just do the lane changes myself.

NoA still has its corner cases and it will take a while to get them all handled....hence the beta software tag. I for one am glad it is still in beta, it means probably at least another 10 years before Skynet sends another terminator to find John Connor :D

• Funny
Reactions: duanra and mahagala
I just want to clarify the purpose of posting this video. It is not to judge how other people drive. It's just to see how tesla handles the corner case:
- if NoA believes a potential collision, it should show down the car to a full stop. This would make tesla software looks odd but in my opinion it should be the default behavior because safety can't be compromised.
- if NoA believes the car can get into the gap, which I didn't think so, the car should continue. This is the purpose to post the video.
- continue its original intent if NoA doesn't know what to do: this is a very dangerous software decision if tesla uses it for all corner cases.

A normal driver would have slowed and let you in. Merging is a joint responsibility. The other car had to slow for traffic in front of you anyway but he elected to block you instead. I’ve found NoA to not work well in that situation as well. Doesn’t seem to know that the merg lane is ending.

Yeah. That guy is an asshole for speeding up and then trying to trap him in the shoulder.

This is normal current NoA behavior to follow the on ramp lane until it ends and merge at the end. This is why it is beta and a driver assist system. I would never have allowed it put me in that situation seeing the traveling car coming up behind. Merge lane must yield to traveling cars and they do not have to yield to on ramp traffic. Driver fault is my vote.

Even if NoA was good at merging or knowing the lane was ending this would have been challenging as all the cars in front of you were slowing and the T was insistent on closing the gap you had.
Screen Shot 2019-05-05 at 2.48.27 PM.png