Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Almost had a serious crash driving on AP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Leaving NYC on one of the highways driving my LR model 3 on AP with a cruising speed, suddenly a truck on a slow right lane veered into my lane just a few cars ahead of me and AP did absolutely nothing to slow down or brake. I had to apply maximum braking and steered left to get onto a narrow shoulder. But the speed was still too fast to avoid the potential collision. Luckily the truck did not continue its invasion into my lane and I was able to avoid the collision. The lesson is that you really can't trust AP for collision avoidance when the reaction time is minimum. Maybe AP computer will never be fast enough to catch up in this kind of instances.

• Helpful
Reactions: Kant.Ing
Leaving NYC on one of the highways driving my LR model 3 on AP with a cruising speed, suddenly a truck on a slow right lane veered into my lane just a few cars ahead of me and AP did absolutely nothing to slow down or brake. I had to apply maximum braking and steered left to get onto a narrow shoulder. But the speed was still too fast to avoid the potential collision. Luckily the truck did not continue its invasion into my lane and I was able to avoid the collision. The lesson is that you really can't trust AP for collision avoidance when the reaction time is minimum. Maybe AP computer will never be fast enough to catch up in this kind of instances.
Did you save the video of it? I'd be curious to see it.

Reactions: tracksyde