Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Almost in an accident 1 hour after getting my Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now I know why insurance is so expensive in Toronto. No more than an hour after getting my model 3 today, a Taxi driver (who was on his cell phone) just blindly turned into my car. Luckily I saw his dumb ass, and was able to swerve over to the right into a bus lane. I couldn't believe how wreckless he was. like he didn't even look before he turned. I don't know what I would have done had he actually hit me. I would have been irate.

I almost had one the second day lol. I was in a right turn lane approaching a light. Guy entered the turn lane behind me to jump the line of cars going straight. Approaching the light he started trying to merge back, but there was a pedestrian crossing so I couldn't turn right. Slowed down, guy was looking over his shoulder at the straight lane, almost rear ended me.

There's a special place in hell for Vegas cabbies. ;) Or perhaps the Vegas cab company owners. I was ecstatic when Uber went through down there.
You do realize that a lot of cabbies in Vegas drive Uber as second job? ;)

Edit: on the strip is a mess. Not only taxi drivers but regular drivers are going nuts. Pedestrians don't recognize lights and cross ehen they feel

Now I know why insurance is so expensive in Toronto. No more than an hour after getting my model 3 today, a Taxi driver (who was on his cell phone) just blindly turned into my car. Luckily I saw his dumb ass, and was able to swerve over to the right into a bus lane. I couldn't believe how wreckless he was. like he didn't even look before he turned. I don't know what I would have done had he actually hit me. I would have been irate.

And the main reason Toronto insurance is so high is not cause of bad drivers, it's cause of insurance fraud. I read something along the lines that insurance fraud is the majority of insurance company liability in Toronto. So we're not bad drivers, just dishonest people. ;p

You do realize that a lot of cabbies in Vegas drive Uber as second job? ;)

No I know. I'd say the majority of them are out of work cabbies. But that pressure to perform & rip ppl off is gone. That Vegas cabbie instinct is still there tho, Vegas is the only place where Uber drivers expect a tip and will give you a bad rating if you don't tip them. I remember once my wife forgot her phone in her room, I gave the guy $5 to chill while she ran back to the room and get it, then he still gave me a *sugar* rating lol.

I almost had one the second day lol. I was in a right turn lane approaching a light. Guy entered the turn lane behind me to jump the line of cars going straight. Approaching the light he started trying to merge back, but there was a pedestrian crossing so I couldn't turn right. Slowed down, guy was looking over his shoulder at the straight lane, almost rear ended me.

it's so nerve wracking. every biker that comes along my passenger side makes me nervous. hopefully it's just first day, new car jitters

No I know. I'd say the majority of them are out of work cabbies. But that pressure to perform & rip ppl off is gone. That Vegas cabbie instinct is still there tho, Vegas is the only place where Uber drivers expect a tip and will give you a bad rating if you don't tip them. I remember once my wife forgot her phone in her room, I gave the guy $5 to chill while she ran back to the room and get it, then he still gave me a *sugar* rating lol.
One thing for sure - Vegas is strange place, especially around the strip /which I try to avoid desperately/

I hate to say it, I've been in an accident in my first Model S in Toronto thanks to a moron trying to start from a parallel parking spot to go across the street into an adjacent street - during rush hour.

I would highly suggest getting a dashcam (both front and rear). I have no idea when Musk will implement the internal dashcam - but I wish it was soon!

Dodged a bullet there. Taxi drivers are known for finding "witnesses" to defend themselves.

Reactions: brkaus
I hate to say it, I've been in an accident in my first Model S in Toronto thanks to a moron trying to start from a parallel parking spot to go across the street into an adjacent street - during rush hour.

I would highly suggest getting a dashcam (both front and rear). I have no idea when Musk will implement the internal dashcam - but I wish it was soon!

Yea. Im gonna look into getting a dashcam. Any recommendations?

Saw a Model 3 "in the wild" last week and waved at the driver as I was turning into a business he was exiting, he stopped to wave back and crept into the road, almost side swiped by a van...felt bad for the guy, was just trying to do the Tesla wave and he almost got smashed in his new 3. I'll try to strategically do my Tesla wave in the future. Sigh.

Reactions: mrElbe