Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Almost locked out! Key fob

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

UrbanSplash

Nov 10, 2019
UK
Hi

Any idea what happened today?! So I went to click n collect the shopping. Key fob in the car throughout. Stopped. P twice. Opened boot from screen. Got out and opened the boot fully. Stood waiting for the guy to bring the shopping, went round to open the driver door but it was locked. Phone and key fob still in the car, boot still open.

fortunately the driver window was open just enough to reach in and open the door from the inside or I would of been knackered.

I wouldn’t expect the car to lock itself while the key fob is still inside....

M3 LR

I assume you have it on auto lock? If so my guess would be it lost the BT connection to the phone for some reason. It detected you getting out of the car which it can do based on the door and seat sensors so it locked the car?
Clearly a glitch though especially since the boot was open.
Moral: always carry a key card people!

Reactions: stonecoldrmw
Possibility both items were placed somewhere that tended to shield them plus a weakened battery in the fob?
I sometimes get a 'Key fob not detected' msg in my S when it's in my pocket shielded by coins or pocket knife. £2 for Ten cheapo ebay batteries only last 6-9mths in the fob.

Although the phone was in the car, I’ve not got the app set up to unlock as I use the key fob. Fresh batteries in the fob as it’s only been used for a week. Fob was in the cup holder.

Imagine if you had a baby in the car and it locks with the fob inside. Regardless is set to auto lock, I would imagine it shouldn’t lock with a key fob inside.

Although the phone was in the car, I’ve not got the app set up to unlock as I use the key fob. Fresh batteries in the fob as it’s only been used for a week. Fob was in the cup holder.

Imagine if you had a baby in the car and it locks with the fob inside. Regardless is set to auto lock, I would imagine it shouldn’t lock with a key fob inside.
to be fair to Tesla. I have been locked out of an ICE car due to leaving the keys inside the car and the doors auto locking after I got out. Never get out and leave your keys in the car is pretty universal advice. At least with Tesla I would have a key card in my wallet to get me back in.

On the other hand I drove my wifes ICE car the other day. half an hour after I got home one of the kids said. why are the lights on on Mums car. Answer: because I got home got out and walked in the house leaving the car unlocked and the keys in the ignition. Its amazing how quickly you get used to something!

do yourself a favor and setup your phone as a key.
But really, next time don't leave your keys in the car when you get out (like with any other car)

Give someone else the KEY on their mobile phone so they can always unlock the car remotely by you just ringing them.
This!!!! Everyone please, find a trusted person and do this as a back up.

By using a mobile phone also locked inside the car? ;)
Ask to borrow someones phone. It might not eliminate the risk, but it certainly reduces it and provides a solution more often than not.

• Informative
Reactions: Cnixon
This!!!! Everyone please, find a trusted person and do this as a back up.

Ask to borrow someones phone. It might not eliminate the risk, but it certainly reduces it and provides a solution more often than not.
if you can borrow someones phone do you need to phone anyone? if you know your password could you download the app log it in and unlock the car that way? (Not forgetting to log it out afterwards of course!)

• Informative
Reactions: Cnixon