Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Almost made the mistake of buy a OEM replacement part on eBay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I learned a lesson to never buy a Tesla part without checking with Tesla first.

I wanted to replace the trim cover on the door of my trunk. I looked on eBay and found them listed for around $80 for used ones. $80 did not seem unreasonable as it is a pretty large part with multiple clips and insulation. One eBay seller had over 10 brand new pieces listed he says, "Bought from a UPS lost freight auction." Initially the seller listed it with $25 shipping which seemed reasonable at the time as he was selling brand new for what other's were selling used. I went ahead and click purchase, but the seller soon after cancelled the auction telling eBay there was a problem with my address, but to me he sent a message saying he needed to charge more for shipping.

I just went to my local showroom and they had the exact same part brand new for $37. Lesson learned, always check what Tesla is charging before looking elsewhere.

I learned a lesson to never buy a Tesla part without checking with Tesla first.

I wanted to replace the trim cover on the door of my trunk. I looked on eBay and found them listed for around $80 for used ones. $80 did not seem unreasonable as it is a pretty large part with multiple clips and insulation. One eBay seller had over 10 brand new pieces listed he says, "Bought from a UPS lost freight auction." Initially the seller listed it with $25 shipping which seemed reasonable at the time as he was selling brand new for what other's were selling used. I went ahead and click purchase, but the seller soon after cancelled the auction telling eBay there was a problem mwith my address, but to me he sent a message saying he needed to charge more for shipping.

I just went to my local showroom and they had the exact same part brand new for $37. Lesson learned, always check what Tesla is charging before looking elsewhere.
You have local Tesla showrooms that sell parts!
One day here also maybe.