Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Almost over mileage on lease

ea_roa

May 29, 2017
Texas
Hi everyone, I’m struggling a bit with my Model S. I got it back in March 2018 under a 2yr/30k mi lease. I’m barely a year and a half in and I only have less than 2000 mi before I reach those 30k mi. Soon I’ll have to start paying $0.25 per mile that I go over.

What other options do I have apart from not driving it for the rest of the lease period?

ChadS

Last tank of gas: March 2009
Jul 16, 2009
Redmond, WA
I went way over on my Model S lease.

Given that everything you've already agreed to pay on the lease is a sunk cost, paying 25 cents per mile to drive a Model S after you hit 30k sounds like a pretty good deal.

The more 25-cent miles you put on, the lower your overall cost-per-mile number will be. That's not a good argument for driving just to put miles on; but if they are miles you are going to put on some car anyway, it seems like the Model S is a good place to put them.

Reactions: ea_roa

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
If only any of us would be so lucky to own a Tesla for 25 cents a mile!

Put another 10K miles on it and enjoy the car.

Reactions: ea_roa

Akikiki

A'-Lo-HA ! y'all
Nov 26, 2012
Kaneohe, HI
Sell the lease and get out from under it. Start over or buy. I don't remember the site name, but there is at least one business web site that connects lease holders with people wanting to lease a Tesla.

cwerdna

Jul 11, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
Hi everyone, I’m struggling a bit with my Model S. I got it back in March 2018 under a 2yr/30k mi lease. I’m barely a year and a half in and I only have less than 2000 mi before I reach those 30k mi...
Nobody’s going to take over a lease that has less than 2000 miles on it.
Not only that, but I'm not sure Tesla will allow transferring the lease at all with 6 months left.

We tried at my work with someone who was possibly going to take over the lease of an S from someone else who no longer had a long commute. They original S lessee had moved to within walking distance of work (previous commute was ~60 miles/day) and had a TON of miles leftover. Unfortunately, Tesla wouldn't allow the transfer. IIRC, it had to have over 1+ year left on the lease.

So, the S lessee was stuck making payments on a car that was barely driven. She turned it in at lease end w/plenty of miles left.

Last edited:

TMSfanatic

Jul 18, 2018
Cali
Hi everyone, I’m struggling a bit with my Model S. I got it back in March 2018 under a 2yr/30k mi lease. I’m barely a year and a half in and I only have less than 2000 mi before I reach those 30k mi. Soon I’ll have to start paying $0.25 per mile that I go over.

What other options do I have apart from not driving it for the rest of the lease period?

Your only options are:
1. Stop driving
2. Pay overage
3. Buy out car

Reactions: ea_roa and cwerdna

cwerdna

Jul 11, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
Nobody? You know this how? You have already completed a survey of "earth"?
Let's assume he has 2000 miles left. That means in 6 months (assuming Tesla even allows the lease transfer, which is doubtful since what I cited happened within the past 2 years), the new lessee will only be able to drive ~333 miles/month or about 11 miles/day. And, they'll be paying pretty hefty payments each month.

Who would want that? I suspect the # is very few if not 0.
Sell the lease and get out from under it. Start over or buy. I don't remember the site name, but there is at least one business web site that connects lease holders with people wanting to lease a Tesla.
Worlds Largest Lease Marketplace | Swapalease.com
LeaseTrader.com - Car Lease - Lease Assumption - Short Term Leases

Last edited:

Akikiki

A'-Lo-HA ! y'all
Nov 26, 2012
Kaneohe, HI
Let's assume he has 2000 miles left. That means in 6 months (assuming Tesla even allows the lease transfer, which is doubtful since what I cited happened within the past 2 years), the new lessee will only be able to drive ~333 miles/month. And, they'll be paying pretty hefty payments each month.

Probably is 0. He was looking for options when he came here. I'm not on his negotiating team. They will earn their money.

rsg123

Jan 1, 2018
Sacramento
Let's assume he has 2000 miles left. That means in 6 months (assuming Tesla even allows the lease transfer, which is doubtful since what I cited happened within the past 2 years), the new lessee will only be able to drive ~333 miles/month or about 11 miles/day. And, they'll be paying pretty hefty payments each month.

LeaseTrader.com - Car Lease - Lease Assumption - Short Term Leases

He will have to put a hefty incentive into the deal. He may get interest from people who have a very short commute and want a nice car to show off. Maybe a weekend car.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC