Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Almost over mileage on lease

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, I’m struggling a bit with my Model S. I got it back in March 2018 under a 2yr/30k mi lease. I’m barely a year and a half in and I only have less than 2000 mi before I reach those 30k mi. Soon I’ll have to start paying $0.25 per mile that I go over.

What other options do I have apart from not driving it for the rest of the lease period?

I went way over on my Model S lease.

Given that everything you've already agreed to pay on the lease is a sunk cost, paying 25 cents per mile to drive a Model S after you hit 30k sounds like a pretty good deal.

The more 25-cent miles you put on, the lower your overall cost-per-mile number will be. That's not a good argument for driving just to put miles on; but if they are miles you are going to put on some car anyway, it seems like the Model S is a good place to put them.

Reactions: el_tlatoani
Hi everyone, I’m struggling a bit with my Model S. I got it back in March 2018 under a 2yr/30k mi lease. I’m barely a year and a half in and I only have less than 2000 mi before I reach those 30k mi...
Nobody’s going to take over a lease that has less than 2000 miles on it.
Not only that, but I'm not sure Tesla will allow transferring the lease at all with 6 months left.

We tried at my work with someone who was possibly going to take over the lease of an S from someone else who no longer had a long commute. They original S lessee had moved to within walking distance of work (previous commute was ~60 miles/day) and had a TON of miles leftover. Unfortunately, Tesla wouldn't allow the transfer. IIRC, it had to have over 1+ year left on the lease.

So, the S lessee was stuck making payments on a car that was barely driven. She turned it in at lease end w/plenty of miles left.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I’m struggling a bit with my Model S. I got it back in March 2018 under a 2yr/30k mi lease. I’m barely a year and a half in and I only have less than 2000 mi before I reach those 30k mi. Soon I’ll have to start paying $0.25 per mile that I go over.

What other options do I have apart from not driving it for the rest of the lease period?

Your only options are:
1. Stop driving
2. Pay overage
3. Buy out car

Nobody? You know this how? You have already completed a survey of "earth"?
Let's assume he has 2000 miles left. That means in 6 months (assuming Tesla even allows the lease transfer, which is doubtful since what I cited happened within the past 2 years), the new lessee will only be able to drive ~333 miles/month or about 11 miles/day. And, they'll be paying pretty hefty payments each month.

Who would want that? I suspect the # is very few if not 0.
Sell the lease and get out from under it. Start over or buy. I don't remember the site name, but there is at least one business web site that connects lease holders with people wanting to lease a Tesla.
Worlds Largest Lease Marketplace | Swapalease.com
LeaseTrader.com - Car Lease - Lease Assumption - Short Term Leases

Last edited:
Let's assume he has 2000 miles left. That means in 6 months (assuming Tesla even allows the lease transfer, which is doubtful since what I cited happened within the past 2 years), the new lessee will only be able to drive ~333 miles/month. And, they'll be paying pretty hefty payments each month.

Probably is 0. He was looking for options when he came here. I'm not on his negotiating team. They will earn their money.

Let's assume he has 2000 miles left. That means in 6 months (assuming Tesla even allows the lease transfer, which is doubtful since what I cited happened within the past 2 years), the new lessee will only be able to drive ~333 miles/month or about 11 miles/day. And, they'll be paying pretty hefty payments each month.

LeaseTrader.com - Car Lease - Lease Assumption - Short Term Leases

He will have to put a hefty incentive into the deal. He may get interest from people who have a very short commute and want a nice car to show off. Maybe a weekend car.

Is it possible to contact tesla and ask to up mileage? I'm at 1.5 of 3 years on 10k a year.
I'm six months ahead of where I should be. By June 2024 I should have 20k miles and I'm at 22000 right now I'm January 2024. Getting a bit worried.