Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Almost ready with FSD Beta V9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why not just set it to 'require confirmation' (or whatever the setting is called) so it doesn't start signaling until you give it the go-ahead?
Doesn't work this way. Starts signaling, but waits for you to confirm before it changes lanes, so it will just cruise along with the turn signal on, and no way to cancel it except clicking cancel on the screen, and then it just tries again in a few seconds.

It needs an option like the one you describe, then I'd use it and be able to understand much better where it's OK and where it's broken. As it is now, I can never have it on in any area with any traffic.

Doesn't work this way. Starts signaling, but waits for you to confirm before it changes lanes, so it will just cruise along with the turn signal on, and no way to cancel it except clicking cancel on the screen, and then it just tries again in a few seconds.

It needs an option like the one you describe, then I'd use it and be able to understand much better where it's OK and where it's broken. As it is now, I can never have it on in any area with any traffic.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't signal before you confirm, but if I'm wrong then I've been driving around like an a-hole for quite a long time and I'm in agreement with you. Now I'm really curious, but don't have an excuse to get on the highway, ha.

If you are going strait down the road it’s OK (some times it likes to ping pong between the passing lane and travel lane) but if you ever try to take a clover leaf watch out.

also it’s very persistent if you tell it no.
There should be a delay in asking again once you cancel the auto lane change
You mean like this one? 33°19'07.1"N 80°32'52.6"W
I have taken that I-95 @ I-26 clover-leaf on all 4 leaves, multiple times on the same car.
It has handled it valiantly.

About 6 to 9 months back Autopilot would take exits fast (too fast to the point where you had to disengage) but that is yet one more thing that has improved considerably over time. I do not remember when is the last time Autopilot has not slowed down properly for an interchange or an off-ramp.

The examples that were quoted above, where NoA disengaged, seem to be all Cali Highways (not an excuse just an observation) which explains why I didn't run into them on my cross-country trip.

Here are my settings that have been set this way since at least December of 2020 -- maybe it will be helpful.

1620081500261.png

1620081552396.png

1620081606728.png

Fine. But how many drivers crash here a day, and what percentage of Teslas would crash if left alone? I'm guessing somehow humans manage to deal with it 99.999+% of the time, so the fact that AP fails at it 50+% of the time doesn't make it the road's fault. Real FSD needs to handle unexpected situations and suboptimal roads, and we're always going to judge the success of autonomous driving relative to how humans do.

I'm not certain that AP would crash, but you'd probably lose your lunch. :D

I've seen far worse in other parts of the world. That exit is ok for me since I know what it's like and I can anticipate it. Not the best design, but neither is anything else along Hwy-17. Although technically it's not a "Freeway" exit, the Summit Rd. exit which immediately turns into an uphill hairpin is another fun one. I believe all the NIMBYs living in Santa Cruz voted against improving Hwy 17 about a decade ago so here we are...

Yup. Way longer ago than that, though, I think. The Summit Rd. exit is a disaster, but so is the rest of that part of the road. Nothing can fix that section of the road short of building a six-lane bore through the mountain. :)

I have taken that I-95 @ I-26 clover-leaf on all 4 leaves, multiple times on the same car.

About 6 to 9 months back Autopilot would take exits fast (too fast to the point where you had to disengage) but that is yet one more thing that has improved considerably over time. I do not remember when is the last time Autopilot has not slowed down properly for an interchange or an off-ramp.

The examples that were quoted above, where NoA disengaged, seem to be all Cali Highways (not an excuse just an observation) which explains why I didn't run into them on my cross-country trip.
Take a video... also that looks like there probably isn’t a lot of traffic on it. Most people live in the city where there are cars.

• Disagree
Reactions: Demonofelru
Read his whole post. 1.5 miles before his exit. If you've never had NoA change lanes into a slower lane, you're not using NoA. It HAS to move over at some point to exit. The issue is it does it so silly early, even in MAD MAX.
Context: HOV lane, NoA wants to move to slower adjacent "fast" lane.

As to what and how I use autopilot since 2015, you'll believe or not believe my post athat I've not seen this happen. FSD on two Teslas, AP1 on my first MS.

You continue to spin bullpucky here and it's really getting shrill.

Oh man, the super early lane change is frustrating especially when in heavy traffic. As an example, if I'm flying through the HOV lane, NoA would suggest me to change to the regular lane where traffic is moving at parking lot speed about 1.5miles from the exit.

It should not try to have you enter a slower lane. I've never seen that.

Context: HOV lane, NoA wants to move to slower adjacent "fast" lane.

You're so focused on going after me as a person, you can't even read what was written. OP clearly says it changes from HOV (Always the leftmost, fastest lane) into regular lane when the regular lane is slower and the exit is 1.5 miles away. Meanwhile you say "it should not have you enter a slower lane." It HAS to enter a slower lane at some point or else it can never exit. Thus, if you've never seen this, you've never let NoA take an exit, you are just blindly defending AP, or you are the kind of driver that gets over really early for exits and the NoA behavior matches your own driving.

As to what and how I use autopilot since 2015, you'll believe or not believe my post athat I've not seen this happen. FSD on two Teslas, AP1 on my first MS.
NoA != Autopilot. AP1 doesn't have NoA, so of course you would never see this here and that is irrelevant. I don't know what to say if you've never experienced NoA moving over into the exit lane that is much slower than your current lane. It's a pretty universal experience as you can see from this thread, and it's the only way NoA can work given it's a very basic system with no ability to look forward at the traffic like a human does, so it has to be super conservative because all it can do is wait and hope an opening appears.

Last edited:
You're so focused on going after me as a person, you can't even read what was written. OP clearly says it changes from HOV (Always the leftmost, fastest lane) into regular lane when the regular lane is slower and the exit is 1.5 miles away. Meanwhile you say "it should not have you enter a slower lane." It HAS to enter a slower lane at some point or else it can never exit. Thus, if you've never seen this, you've never let NoA take an exit, you are just blindly defending AP, or you are the kind of driver that gets over really early for exits and the NoA behavior matches your own driving.

NoA != Autopilot. AP1 doesn't have NoA, so of course you would never see this here and that is irrelevant. I don't know what to say if you've never experienced NoA moving over into the exit lane that is much slower than your current lane. It's a pretty universal experience as you can see from this thread, and it's the only way NoA can work given it's a very basic system with no ability to look forward at the traffic like a human does, so it has to be super conservative because all it can do is wait and hope an opening appears.
Jeez. You really don't get it. It's not you personally, but your incessant negativism and reflexive gainsaying that's just beyond the pail. Chill.

You think that I really didn't know that AP1 didn't do NoA? Where did I claim that it did. The post was only to indicate that I've experienced AP1, HW3 and FSD.

Thanks for educating me. NOT.

Interesting. In CA, specifically Bay Area, with any interchange like yours with a short off ramp, my car will dive into at 65-70mph. Very dangerous. If the interchange is gentle and it’s safe for car to enter at 65-70, it works ok, but that’s usually less than 50% of the interchanges in my area. It also works ok if I manually decrease the speed of cruise control before the exit, but at that point, it’s easier to just disengage, and handle it yourself.

You would think NoA would work best on freeway like 280,101,880 all near Tesla HQ lol.

I don't know what Bay Area you live in but not my experience at all. My NoA (Bay Area, CA) usually takes interchanges too slow, not too fast.

I should probably distinguish off ramps from interchanges. Most off ramps require slowing down much quicker than interchanges. Off ramps is where I mostly see hairy exit speeds.

Interchanges are more gradual, for the most part in the Sout Bay, you’re right, in the middle of the interchange, it will slow down too much. 280N to 85W is one clover leaf interchange I take where it slows down below 25mph, I’ve only let it run it’s course when there are no other cars behind me. It’s painfully slow but it does manage without an intervention

Reactions: powertoold
I should probably distinguish off ramps from interchanges. Most off ramps require slowing down much quicker than interchanges. Off ramps is where I mostly see hairy exit speeds.

Interchanges are more gradual, for the most part in the Sout Bay, you’re right, in the middle of the interchange, it will slow down too much. 280N to 85W is one clover leaf interchange I take where it slows down below 25mph, I’ve only let it run it’s course when there are no other cars behind me. It’s painfully slow but it does manage without an intervention
This. In the Boston area many exits are fairly sharp and NoA tries to take them too fast although there has been some improvement. As previously posted by others I either slow down with the thumbwheel or just take over myself. In my experience it just depends how sharp the exit ramp is. Certainly room for significant improvement IMO.