Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Almost stranded for a 3rd time in 8 weeks - got home thanks to a trick I saw here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't remember the thread but thank you to the person who posted that putting the 3 in tow mode re-enabled the motor!

I got into my car this afternoon and saw the messages:

Unable to maintain power, PULL OVER SAFELY
Automatic Emergency Braking Disabled
Cruise Control Disabled
Car Needs Service - Steering Assist Reduced

I could shift the car into drive but pushing the accelerator had no effect. The car would just start to roll down hill. I tried this several times and tried rebooting the car and exiting and re-entering. Finally remembered the tow mode trick. Left it in tow mode for about 30 seconds. Then re-engaged parking brake, then back to drive. Now I had throttle response and I made it home, although with no regenerative braking. Side note: what a strange thing it is to drive the TM3 with no regen. Also I went from 200wh/mi power consumption to 350wh/mi on my commute!

I hope no one every needs to use this trick but I wanted to re-post it for visibility.

Also, I had just updated to 2018.12.1 yesterday

eek. hope they don't have a regression of that issue because of the firmware...

well I guess that also answers someone else's question about whether the EPA rating takes into account regen or not (clearly it does).

I don't remember the thread but thank you to the person who posted that putting the 3 in tow mode re-enabled the motor!

I got into my car this afternoon and saw the messages:

Unable to maintain power, PULL OVER SAFELY
Automatic Emergency Braking Disabled
Cruise Control Disabled
Car Needs Service - Steering Assist Reduced

I could shift the car into drive but pushing the accelerator had no effect. The car would just start to roll down hill. I tried this several times and tried rebooting the car and exiting and re-entering. Finally remembered the tow mode trick. Left it in tow mode for about 30 seconds. Then re-engaged parking brake, then back to drive. Now I had throttle response and I made it home, although with no regenerative braking. Side note: what a strange thing it is to drive the TM3 with no regen. Also I went from 200wh/mi power consumption to 350wh/mi on my commute!

I hope no one every needs to use this trick but I wanted to re-post it for visibility.

Also, I had just updated to 2018.12.1 yesterday

Hi,, First off when reading your post my first thought was "WHY HAVE YOU BEEN STRANDED SO MANY TIMES THIS MONTH?" Was it because of a low charge level? Maybe preface with what the issue is that is causing this.
Thanks for sharing the Tow mode trick!

Hi,, First off when reading your post my first thought was "WHY HAVE YOU BEEN STRANDED SO MANY TIMES THIS MONTH?" Was it because of a low charge level? Maybe preface with what the issue is that is causing this.
Thanks for sharing the Tow mode trick!

I won (lost?) the model 3 lemon lottery. If you are interested you can check out my post history.

We have never had one problem with our model X so I guess this is the universe correcting itself.

Reactions: Country Roads

That would have been me in this thread:
Rear motor disabled

What’s the trick to put it in tow mode?

It's called "transport mode" in the configuration screens. Starting in "Park", Controls > Service > Towing. Hit the Transport Mode button until it turns blue.

• Informative
Reactions: nvx1977
Wow. I hope my car is not having the same issue as yours but sounds so familiar. SC cannot figure out what is going on with mine so Tesla engineering team is now involved.

Unfortunately, I am not as lucky as you are. They gave you P90D but I got 2012 MS Signature. Feel like a total downgrade.
Keep us updated on your progress. This is sooooooo depressing. Should have gotten Miata instead.

That would have been me in this thread:
Rear motor disabled

It's called "transport mode" in the configuration screens. Starting in "Park", Controls > Service > Towing. Hit the Transport Mode button until it turns blue.

Did your car ever give you any more problems? Mine was sporadically throwing errors for a while and it looks like the entire CAN and everything connected to it will need to be replaced! lol o_O

Wow. I hope my car is not having the same issue as yours but sounds so familiar. SC cannot figure out what is going on with mine so Tesla engineering team is now involved.

Unfortunately, I am not as lucky as you are. They gave you P90D but I got 2012 MS Signature. Feel like a total downgrade.
Keep us updated on your progress. This is sooooooo depressing. Should have gotten Miata instead.

I no longer have the P90D, I now am driving a 100D. The trick is to just keep breaking your car and eventually you will end up with a good loaner :cool:

But don’t get too excited. Even the brand new 100D feels like a downgrade :p (other than the speed of course!)

Did your car ever give you any more problems? Mine was sporadically throwing errors for a while and it looks like the entire CAN and everything connected to it will need to be replaced! lol o_O

Nope. No other issues. The motor disable event on my very first night was the one and only "PFR"[1] on the car. I haven't even had center screen reset or phone-as-key issues. I haven't been able to duplicate it since. My co-worker has had center screen reboot problems (once in my presence, even). My only problem is that it's missing a motor up front! *grin*

[1]PFR = "Problem/Failure Report" I work on projects that require detailed documentation and tracking of observed failures or problems. They're called "PFRs" Though I haven't filed that PFR with Tesla, yet. *grin*

i got the "Car Needs Service - Steering Assist Reduced" i think i'm going to drive the MS 75D for another month. Need to replace the steering wheel, they still have no ETA about when the part will be ship.
I love Tesla, I hate Tesla, I love Tesla, I hate Tesla......