Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Almost time to choose tariff. Octopus reccomendations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a similar email - though mine was due according to them when I contacted regarding renewal is only in June. So I did get in tocuh with them regarding renewal and they were aware and given me 6 extra months on the same reduced price. But now they sent an email saying they didn’t notify me so apologies and extend same rate for another 12 months. I am happy with the ‘end’ result but wondering whether this is a marketing stunt!

Anyhow thanks Octopus.
I got the same email on Wednesday , then a new one today saying I was getting switched to a new tariff on the 25th … clicked through and it was triple

Did a polite WTF email to Octopus and the confirmed will still be on 14.5/5 TFFT

I put the question on the Octopus Energy forums and this is what came back from Andy.

"You do not have to do anything irreversible to your Ohme, or even contact Ohme.

If you have a car API that is supported by Intelligent then all you need to do to the Ohme is delete all schedules, turn off the price cap, save money, battery optimization and favour green energy features. And disconnect from your vehicle API - which is probably easiest to do by switching to a random car and switching back to the correct car again but not signing in to the API when prompted.

You can then sign out of the Ohme app. If you want to, you can delete your account from within the Ohme app.

I suspect Ohme integration with Intelligent is fairly close now, a matter of a month or so at a wild guess."

So good news all round I guess.
Incidentally I asked Octopus about Go Faster and it is still available but only for the 4 and 5 hour periods. 4 hour is equivalent to Go and 5 hour is 8.5pkWh cheap rate. So if you can you may as well use I.O. for the 6 hours at 7.5p

Sorry if this has been answered but Search and Octopus return quite a few results...

I'm just renewed Go and had to have the 7.5, which is a shame; but I've since then been offered IO... what's the downside - do you only get the cheap rate on IO if your car is charging or is it for the period regardless? I note in the T&Cs of Go these days it says firmly it's for electric car use, so I suspect they're going to get wise to charging up storage batteries/running your cannabis farm lights soon

Any views much appreciated

I was dubious too, but found out that the 6 hour slot is for the house (batteries) as well as the car. I watched a youtube video interview Fully charged plus with Robert Llewellyn and Octopus CEO Greig Jackson.
Worth watching to the end. Greig explained that any movement away from the expensive periods was a net gain to everyone no matter how small the move so I really don't think they're that bothered about batteries, as long as you have an EV to charge. I have 2 in the household. The Tesla will be able to take advantage of the app charging in the winter, but the Hyundai will still have to be commanded to charge at cheap rates as will the batteries of course. Fortunately, I'm ok in the summer as when I'm at home the Tesla will charge from Solar and so soak up most of the excess which the batteries don't when theyre full. The winter will be a different story especially with the expected rise in electricity prices in October.

Sorry if this has been answered but Search and Octopus return quite a few results...

I'm just renewed Go and had to have the 7.5, which is a shame; but I've since then been offered IO... what's the downside - do you only get the cheap rate on IO if your car is charging or is it for the period regardless? I note in the T&Cs of Go these days it says firmly it's for electric car use, so I suspect they're going to get wise to charging up storage batteries/running your cannabis farm lights soon

Any views much appreciated
I tried to make explaining it as simple as possible. No tariff in the world has been the subject of so much confusion :D

Reactions: exlatccatsa
I tried to make explaining it as simple as possible. No tariff in the world has been the subject of so much confusion :D

thank you so much sorry for repetition...

Cant see a downside???

thank you so much sorry for repetition...
No problem, there's a huge amount of noise to trawl through on IO.

Cant see a downside???
The API is a bit buggy at the moment so if you don't switch off smart scheduling in the app when you're not using it then it will keep the car awake. It's a small amount of faff, but well worth it for the benefits, imo.