Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aloha from San Diego Environs!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BertL

Aug 19, 2015
Carlsbad, CA
...just introducing myself from Southern California, down in the Carlsbad/La Costa area.

In recent years, I've owned 2 Lexus RX (SUV) hybrids beginning the month they were introduced back in 2005, along with a couple German toys -- a 335i and presently an SLK. As much as I have enjoyed Lexus reliability, service, along with exquisite fit & finish in my 5 Lexi since 1995, their new IMHO over-the-top aggressive styling is not what I want to own one day, even though it's likely to appeal to a newer driver generation. ;) I'm more into the sporty, but elegant and classy look. Lexus tech has been refined for my purposes, but has always lagged the German brands in what was offered between major model generations (unlike the constant updates Tesla appears to provide). The German brands have had awful reliability and service compared to what I've had all these years with Lexus, so even MBZ remains problematic and always a haunting question mark for me today. Anyway, the new Lexus models opened Pandoras Box, and I've found myself exploring future options, even though I had no intent to get a new ride for at least another couple years.

I've become more aggressive in my Tesla reading the past couple of weeks -- spending several hours a day in my exploration. I've been reading forums/blogs here and over at Teslamotors.com (lots more to do); have watched 100% of Tesla's and Nick Howe's YouTube videos; ordered Nick's book, as well put Ashlee Vance's book on Elon on my iPad that I need to get going with. I am a big research hound and a stickler trying to understand detail, and have a lot more to do. I still need to get beyond the whole range anxiety thing (it's improving); figure out financially if I can come to grips with this given my existing rides are relatively new and paid-for 2013 & 2014; set up a test drive and see a physical Model S in-person perhaps next week. If I jump into the Tesla family, my present idea is to sell both my RX450h and SLK, and now that I'm a single retired guy, consolidate to a single S90D. I'm a low <7500 miles/year driver, generally around town and destinations no more than an hour away, but do take several road trips each year (e.g. San Diego to Vegas, Fresno, Monterey, etc.). I don't go to the track, so performance models are not necessary, but I do like my on-ramps and torque I've enjoyed with my RXh AWDs and my little SLK in the past. No kids and it's just me and my Golden Retriever who accompanies me on errands around town, so I really don't need the size of a full SUV or a future Model X any longer. I've got to find a solution allowing my girl to ride in the back seat (no Canine Cover for a Model S, that is so excellent in my RX450h) -- have found other threads I need to read closer exploring all the links to see if there are any solutions to keep my ride looking great, deal with her shedding between frequent car detailing sessions I like to do myself, while allowing me to easily put the Model S back into "human-only occupant mode" when I take friends and family with me upon occassion. I'm a neat freak, and my rides are always clean, well taken care of, and smell like new when I eventually sell or trade them, so a solution to having my most-of-the-time 65-lb "dog passenger" is as important to me as understanding some of the details on the vehicle itself and going all-electric. There is plenty more info about me and my automobiles over on my personal website if you're so inclined.

Thanks in advance for your future help, advice and coaching. I've already learned a lot from my first few days reading TMC. I hope to become as frequent a contributor here as I've been in the Club Lexus forums since 2001 -- and step up from my 10 year-old life as a hybrid owner, to 100% Tesla electric. WOW!

Welcome to the forum!
Thanks. Not that I'm excited or anything, but have made progress today just-in-case. Test drive is now scheduled for Tuesday afternoon (first available). Insurance quotes have been checked (Model S is about the same as my combined existing RX450h + SLK250, so at least that's a wash, thank goodness). Worst case financing if I need it depending how sale/trade-ins go, is pre-approved -- so now we'll see if I like the car :biggrin:, and then decide between likely Midnight Silver Metallic or Pearl White MC, black or grey seats, and carbon fiber or wood trim once a I can see some samples in-person vs. only internet visuals I've lived by this far, and pull the ordering trigger maybe next week.

Welcome BertL,
if the former Steel Grey paint is the same as the new Midnight Silver Metallic, I'd be glad to meet you off of Del Mar Heights and I5 so you can see the Model S in person with pano roof, black leather and carbon fiber. However I'm only available early Friday afternoon, next availability is next weekend. Just PM me.

Welcome. San Diego is pretty laid back compared to the activity of the LA club, but they're there and the forums (here and the corporate ones) are always here to provide you support and plenty of opinions, whether you want them or not.:tongue: we have quite a few San Diego owners active on these forums. You'll start to notice as you settle in.
Also, there is a San Diego club sub forum here and SoCal regional forum on the tesla site. Both have good local info, though overall TMC has tons of good info throughout all the forums, including local stuff in non-local forums. The search feature is incredibly useful for finding stuff. Hope things turn out great for you.

From one Carlsbad resident to another: welcome! Yet another Tesla added to the 20 or so that I see on a daily basis around town. :biggrin:

Thx! Loving my S90D... If it weren't drizzling this morning (we need it, so not complaining about that!), I'd be out washing my ride for the 2nd time this week. The tint guys did a great job yesterday with my PhotoSync, but my MS is dirty and needs a little love again! ;)

Thx! Loving my S90D... If it weren't drizzling this morning (we need it, so not complaining about that!), I'd be out washing my ride for the 2nd time this week. The tint guys did a great job yesterday with my PhotoSync, but my MS is dirty and needs a little love again! ;)
Had mine CQuartz'd by Wes Walz at Elite Finish Detailing. With that coating I can easily do the "waterless" wash in my garage using Wes's system (it actually uses 1 pint of water per wash). Comes out looking showroom shiny every time and I don't feel guilty about washing my car in this drought. Worth looking into if you want to be able to wash your car in your garage with very little water.

Greetings! Nice to see some locals (as local as it gets for me anyway as I can see Mexico from my balcony). I actually just received the call from my DS today saying that my S85D is finished and is being shipped down here. I should be able to take delivery on Wed, so hopefully I'll soon be able to join in on the fun!

Greetings! Nice to see some locals (as local as it gets for me anyway as I can see Mexico from my balcony). I actually just received the call from my DS today saying that my S85D is finished and is being shipped down here. I should be able to take delivery on Wed, so hopefully I'll soon be able to join in on the fun!

Congrats in advance! HOW EXCITING!!!