Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alpha Build

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If this the Alpha built from an actual testcar , then where are the doorhandles and the T with orange led's on the fender ?

V.P. Rawlinson mentions in his presentation the alpha model on display had been pulled from a fleet of alpha builds and had been "cosmetically enhanced" for show purposes. I take those comments to mean such things as door handle cutouts, charging door cutouts, etc were eliminated on this perticular model to put it's best face on for the public.

There are many other essential items missing that it would be very unlikely the vechicle on display is representative of an actual testcar; I believe the main purpose of the display was to showcase Tesla's engineering prowness.

yes i thought that to , but a cast is a cast , its more expensive to make a new cast for every step in the build process .
Also the fender has a different "dent" ( or how do you call that ) .
It looks like they anodized the aluminium to make it look better

But i guess we have to wait for the first pics off a finished one , or someone takes pics from the screens in Detroit

Last edited:
Definitely not disappointed. For me, it was refreshing to see a car company placing their emphasis on the engineering that went into the car as well as the consideration for safety. Refreshing not to see the usual glitter of a "concept car" that never makes it (in the form displayed) into production. When one takes into account the 3 videos Tesla released last week, V.P. Rawlinson's comments and the video playing in the background at Tesla's display (showing the Alpha build be driven on a country road), my conclusion is Tesla is much further along in development than just the "shell" shown at the show.

Well stated Tommy.

One thing I wondered when seeing the Alpha chassis is how so much "seamless" aluminum welding can be done in mass production...? Typically I think car chassis use spot-welds because robots can do them very fast. The Alpha build chassis looks to have a lot of hand welding that I imagine would be time consuming and costly.

Perhaps that is one of the things they plan to do between Alpha and Beta builds is to optimize for quicker mass production.

What is that at 1:43? Another motor to make it AWD?

I think that is the power steering rack, with an electric motor to make the steering easy.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6749040.html
6749040-0-display.jpg

http://www.ebearing.com/news2001/news232.htm
news232-nsx.jpg

http://bcs.fansamotors.com/index.php/2008/06/eps-operation-electronic-power-steering/
eps_pic.jpg

Last edited:
Has anyone seen a good picture of the model S Alpha show up yet? Based off of the NAIAS press announcment I had assumed that they would have footage of the Model S alpha, playing on the monitors, however I'm wondering if that was just a press only thing?

Image9.jpg

Image13.jpg

Has anyone seen a good picture of the model S Alpha show up yet? Based off of the NAIAS press announcment I had assumed that they would have footage of the Model S alpha, playing on the monitors, however I'm wondering if that was just a press only thing?

In an extended version of the Auto Show presentation, they are specifically asked about the videos. Yes, that is footage of an Alpha build which they took in December.